PDA

View Full Version : clutch woes

76transam
03-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2001 400 ex. I was riding it yesterday and the clutch started slipping in all gears under hard accel. I could use some help adjusting the cable or do ya think that it needs a new clutch? I am not sure how old it is. It does seem to pull a little when you first start it cold.
Any help you guys could give me is much appreciated.

drew416ex
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
to loosen the cable screw the adjuster into the clutch perch giving the lever more free play. If that doesnt work, you need a new clutch.

JOEX
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
What kind oil are you using? And has it been changed recently?

76transam
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I am not sure what oil is being used. I had thought of changing it
but was not wanting to waste the oil if I had to put a clutch in it. I did try adjusting the cable last night. That did not help on the slipping, but it did give me some free play in the hand lever.

JOEX
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Changing the oil is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the clutch...

greenblood01
03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 76transam
I am not sure what oil is being used. I had thought of changing it
but was not wanting to waste the oil if I had to put a clutch in it. I did try adjusting the cable last night. That did not help on the slipping, but it did give me some free play in the hand lever.

If there was NO free play in the lever before you adjusted it, and has been run like that for a while, it most likely burt the clutch out from not having enough slack. Odds are you at least need new friction plates, if not steels and springs also. The only way to tell it take it apart and see.

76transam
03-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey Ya'll

I changed the oil today and the clutch got much worse. I am definately going to have to change it. Do you have any suggestions on the brand of clutch to use? I mainly use the atv to ride around a farm field with my son on his trx90. We are going to get on trails around. It is not going to raced or hopped up anytime soon. Thanks in advance for the help.

drew416ex
03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Either stock or ebc. Ive been through both and they both work really well. Just make sure you soak the fiber plates in oil before you install them.

greenblood01
03-21-2008, 11:57 PM
What kind of oil are you using? I've heard synthetic oil's made for cars will coat the clutch plates, making them slip.

drew416ex
03-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah you need a oil designed for motorcycles/atvs whether its synthetic or not because auto oils dont have any antifoaming additives. The transmission gears creat a lot of foam in the oil. When those air bubbles collaps there is metal on metal contact. With atv oils, there are additives that help prevent this giving you better protection. I run amsoil 20w-50 synthetic motorcycle oil with no problems. As long as it is designed for a wet clutch, you will be fine.

76transam
03-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the info guys. To answer the oil question. I used Fuchs Silkolene 10w-40 atv oil. I read the bottle before I purchased it but it did not say whether or not it was for a wet clutch.

krt400ex
03-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by greenblood01
If there was NO free play in the lever before you adjusted it, and has been run like that for a while, it most likely burt the clutch out from not having enough slack. Odds are you at least need new friction plates, if not steels and springs also. The only way to tell it take it apart and see.

but, if the steel plates arent worn out and just glazed over, you can take a really fine grit sand paper...like an 800 grit or something to clean off the glaze. that will make a large difference in keeping your clutch from slipping.

BTW, i run bel-ray semi synthetic 20w 50 ATV race oil in mine. it is expensive at $9 a liter, but it is well worth it IMO. great oil.

sandalanalyst
03-21-2009, 07:09 PM
just bought redline 30wt. synthetic race oil... and my clutch seems to be slipping now, also sometimes engages real hard startin off in first.... any ideas?

sc400ex_rider
03-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by sandalanalyst
just bought redline 30wt. synthetic race oil... and my clutch seems to be slipping now, also sometimes engages real hard startin off in first.... any ideas?

burnt

sandalanalyst
03-22-2009, 07:46 AM
burnt? clutch is no good and oil is?