PDA

View Full Version : new truck options

Nac's22
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
At the end of this year I will be getting a new truck. It will either be a 3/4 or 1 ton truck (I learned very quickly that a 1/2 ton isn't really for me). My question is who will have the best diesel motor out of dodge, ford, or chevy. I don't want things like "don't get a dodge b/c they suck" or stuff like that, I want facts about the trucks. Also does anyone know about performance parts like programmers, intakes, and exhausts (preferably full) for the new trucks?
Thanks,
Victor

ZBlaster
03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
What year are you looking at? New or used? What will you be using it for? How long do you plan on keeping it? 2wd or 4wd? All of this is needed to know to make a good response to the question.

Ford: You have your IDI 7.3, your Powerstroke 7.3, your Powerstroke 6.0, and your new TT Powerstroke 6.4.

The 7.3 (both IDI and Powerstroke) are known to be bullet proof. If I recall correctly they had some injector issues early that were quickly resolved. They respond fairly well to basic mods (programmer, exhaust, intake, etc.). They are also a straight axle front with the 03+ having a D60 front, and the 02 back with the D50, both having a Sterling rear end. These are still leaf sprung so have probably the worst ride quality of any of them you mentioned. The 6.0 has had its fair share of issues, most of the time you determine if you have a good one if you have no problems around the 100k mark. I personally dont recommend them due to bad experiences with them, but if your not working out of it you likely would not have an issue. The new 6.4 seems to have alot going for it. No huge aftermarket yet, but seems to be a solid motor.

Dodge: You have your 5.9 Cummins, and the 6.7 Cummins.

I'm a big fan of the Cummins engines. The 5.9 has been around forever, (Pre-98 12v's, Post-98 24v's) and never had any issues in the engine department. Everyone however has heard the Dodge automatic horror stories, again if your not working out of it you will likely be alright. The 12v Cummins is all mechanical, meaning no programmer avaliable, but still the potential for GREAT power. The 24v also has potential, both respond well to mods. The 6.7 seems to be doing great so far, with the exception of the handful of injector issues ive been reading about. There are really no aftermarket parts out for it now, but its still a strong running engine stock. These are also straight axle front ends, using a D60 front till 02, when they switched to a AAM axle, and a D60-D80 rear also until 02. Coil sprung front end with a leaf spring rear rides slightly better than the Ford's.

Chevrolet: You have your older 6.2/6.5's, and the newish Duramaxes.

The older 6.2/6.5 were dogs. Plain as that. They were very reliable but lacked in the power department. The newer Dmax is a very solid engine, next to no issues that I have seen. My only complaint with them is the fuel filter is a bit of a PITA to change. The newer ones 04+ I believe, have the Allison automatic behind them making them a truely great setup. The Dmax has alot of potential in the mod department as well. The downside to them IMO is the IFS front end. I use my diesel the way they were meant to be used, and the IFS doesnt hold up to the streneous use/work as well as the straight axle front. Some, even most, people will not have an issue with this, but I didnt want to take my chances. Best ride of any new diesel out there today. Great trucks overall.

Theres a small overview of all from the big 3, and all you mentioned. I hope it helps you in your decision.

Also, Toyota has confirmed a diesel Tundra for 09... might be something to keep an eye out for!

Nac's22
03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
its going to be a brand new truck, 4X4, and im going to have it as my personal truck. it will be towing (im getting a 7X16 enclosed race trailer) hauling all kinds of stuff (i sometimes have to haul very heavy loads for my dads excavating company). i kinda want to stay ford chevy or dodge to give them a year or so to get some of the new engine bugs out. i want to stay away from the toyota because of that reason. i dont want to have something brand new like that. im sure they will be good trucks but i would like for some of the bugs to be worked out. i have been hearing great things about the dodges and im leaning towards them. i have had nothing but great things to say about my 04 hemi so i might go to dodge again but the others seem to have alot going for them as well. thanks for the information there was sure alot of it there :D