PDA

View Full Version : Faster Bike, Help?

11-05-2001, 09:21 AM
I HAVE AN 400 WITH A HEADER, PIPE, OPEN AIRBOX WITH K&N FILTER, JETTED, AND RUN A 14TH SPROCKET UP FORNT. WHAT OTHER THINGS CAN I DO TO MAKE MY BIKE FASTER, WITHOUT OPENING THE ENGINE DUE TO WARRANTY.AND WHAT TYPE OF SPROCKET SET UP IS THE BEST FOR SPEED.I WENT TO SOIME DUNES THIS WEEKEND AND WAS RACING, I DID PRETTY GOOD, BUT IT SEEMS THE PADDLES I GOT, SAND SHARKS, WERE BEING OUTPERFORMED BY SAND SKATES, DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABT PADDLES, IF THEY MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE

Blackguywithouta400
11-05-2001, 10:02 AM
Go back to the 15 tooth front, the 14th is great for trails but the stock 15 should be the way to go, depending on how much power your bike has you may be able to go down a few teeth on the rear. The rear is more expensive but its more tuneable

11-05-2001, 10:25 AM
CAN YOU PLEASE XPLN, SO I CAN GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING ON THE SPROCKET SITUATION

Blackguywithouta400
11-05-2001, 11:27 AM
Ok as for gearing, your stock bike has a 15 front 38 rear, so we all know that if you change your front spocket 1 tooth it translates into about 3 teeth on the rear. So if you went down to a 14 front it would be the same as going to a 41 Rear. Since most of us cant run such large rears due to skid plates and chain lenght we change the front more often. Its only like a 20$ part fast and easy. Changing the gearing will change what RPM your engine is turning for a given ground speed. So going up on the front will lower your engine RPMs at a given ground speed. Thats all you really do when you change your gearing, since we dont have MPH or a tach on our quads we have to tune from the seat of our pants if we ride @ 20mph all the time but want to be in the meat of the power band @ 20mph then you would try to gear it as close to that as possible, given that at that speed your engine does have enough power to make a differnce. If you like to drag race then your going to have to find a happy median between having a fast takeoff or tons of top end, When i was in drag racing i had my car geared to be right at the top of the powe band as i crossed the line, that seemed to be the best setup. It all depends on what you want out of your EX. If you can afford it or borrow them i would put the 15 on the front and go up 1 tooth at a time on the rear until you found a sweet spot max 3 because at that point you can put the stock one back on the rear and just change the front. remember the 1:3 thing this should help you out a little. I hope :confused:

Mitch400EX
11-05-2001, 01:38 PM
Install a hi-rev CDI box. From there go with control and chassis mods to lighten up your bike. Another way to gear your quad up is to run taller rear tires. Try runnning wider front ribbed tires, they will float better in the sand and produce less drag when u are racing up dunes.

Mitch
00 400EX FMF pipe busted works shocks

11-05-2001, 01:57 PM
I DO HAVE A HIGH REV BOX AND RUN SMOOTHIES ON THE FRONT, BUT IM USING SAND SHARKS AND HE'S RUNNING SAND SKATES, BUT I WANT SPEED, I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT GEARING TO USE, OR YET WHAT SPROCKET COMBINATION

11-05-2001, 03:44 PM
Don't use V'd paddles, they cut down on your speed. Also run a steel chain at the dunes this will increase your low end.

11-05-2001, 04:04 PM
HEY WHEEL MAN CAN U GIVE ME A DEAL ON YOUR BEST PIPE AND HEADER(CURTIS SPARKS) MOST POWER?

Blackguywithouta400
11-05-2001, 04:26 PM
WHAT THE F$%K Steal Chain? FOR WHAT?????

Pro400EXC
11-05-2001, 04:41 PM
If you want to drag race and all I recomend 7 paddle skat-trak haulers. And run about 4-5psi. It will push about the right amount of sand and help add more speed. Also if you want more sped put a 33 tooth sproketon the rear or if you want more bottom endput a 41 tooth on the rear,just take you skid plate off (also shaves about 4lbs off the back).
Here's how it is:

More speed (at the expense of less bottom end)=smaller rear sproket or and bigger front
More bottom end(at the expense of less top end)= biggerrear sproket or smaller front.

Also why do you need a aftermarket rev limiter, I hardly ever hit my rev limiter even ridin over whoops and in drag racing, I guess I am like Doug Dubach(former World Four-Stroke champ),because he never hit his rev limiter on his trick White Bro 426F and he is fast.
P.S Straight edge paddles are good for darg racing
V-curved paddles are good for roostin you buddies and powerslides

Chef
11-05-2001, 04:46 PM
if you have a 400, and stock swingarm, if you take your skid plate be sure you put the bolts back in the holes and tighten them down. the bolt holes go all the way through and when i put my extended swingarm on, i found my carrier full of sand and whatever else i happened to run through

11-05-2001, 05:32 PM
A steel chain has less friction and stretch resulting in a little more low end. Also sand is hard on O ring chains as well. As I said above It gives you more low end.

Curtis Sparks X-6 non arrested 505.00 shipped thats the best I can do. But this exhaust in very loud much louder then a DMC or Duncan Exhaust.

11-05-2001, 05:38 PM
how much with the spark arrestor and does it lower the noise, also what kind of noise

11-05-2001, 05:52 PM
The spark arrestor would lower the noise a reasonable amount. I would say it's as load as a Pro Circuit or Big Gun. A X-6 with spark arrestor would be 565.00 shipped.

Chef
11-06-2001, 10:14 PM
well i wouldnt worry about it being really loud then MOCAZEN, cause if you keep the big gun packed, which is REALLY hard to do on my quad, its not too loud for me, and it sounds good, how does the curtis sparks sound compared to the big gun? (good, bad?)