PDA

View Full Version : 400ex engine oil disapear

randelator
03-02-2008, 07:19 PM
ok first of all sorry for my typing (i am french) i just bought a 400ex for my wife than i decide to put fresh oil in it and new filter,wich i did like the manual said 1.89 quart of oil,than i warm her up and check the oil level on the stick.... no oil so i put more in for a total of 2 quart and still no oil,so i put more for a total of 2.5 quart of oil satrt her again took a little ride and let her rest for a min or 2 and check oil again... still no oil, i touch the oil rad and hose and they were warm, and i still got the stock oil tanks and no the oil filter was not misplace, so tell my guys where the oil is and why is it happening thanks!!! oh and no there is no oil leak and she dont burn oil , and when removing the screw near the oil line on the engine there was oil but way more than flush at the tread like supposed to any help would be appreciated thanks steve!!!

buster024
03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
When you say there's no oil, do you mean there's nothing on the dipstick, or nothing coming out of the bottom of the engine compartment when the oil screw is out?

randelator
03-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by buster024
When you say there's no oil, do you mean there's nothing on the dipstick, or nothing coming out of the bottom of the engine compartment when the oil screw is out?
i mean no oil on the dipstick,and too much inside the engine

buster024
03-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure why there is no oil on your dip. I would probably recommend draining the engine compartment (both sides), and refilling with the proper amount. I know the stock oil tank and engine compartment will hold more than the recommended amount, but I don't think it's a real great idea to have it filled to the brim.

randelator
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure why there is no oil on your dip. I would probably recommend draining the engine compartment (both sides), and refilling with the proper amount. I know the stock oil tank and engine compartment will hold more than the recommended amount, but I don't think it's a real great idea to have it filled to the brim. i did remove all oil after i saw no oil on the dip stick , and refill her again, and after 2,5 quart of oil (wich is .6 quarts over the spec) still no oil on the stick!!!!

buster024
03-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I believe that since Canada is farther north on the map, it must be flowing the oil back south away from the oil box. Turn the bike around. It should fix the problem.

randelator
03-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I believe that since Canada is farther north on the map, it must be flowing the oil back south away from the oil box. Turn the bike around. It should fix the problem. nice joke bro, by the way oregon is pretty close to canada so you should have the same prob,but anyway thats wont help me fix my prob but thanks anyway!!!

buster024
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
It could also be because the world spins faster in Canada....

sc400ex_rider
03-03-2008, 10:46 AM
did you drain both drain plugs? i usually put one qt. in run it about 30 sec or 1 min and the put in another, than im done. its tricky the first time. once i had oil bubblin out my oil tank.
LOL

atvn
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
My Thoughts,

Double check the filter and spring. O-ring on filter should face out.

Then:

You might want to check the oil screen that is in the bottom of the oil tank.

If that looks fine then I would start checking each oil line one at a time to make sure oil comes out of it when unhooked.

Remember oil is cheap compared to an engine overhaul. Take your time and systematically eliminate each possibility.

crazy4number8
03-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Don't feel Bad I have a 2002 honda 400ex and I can't find where my oil is going.Now I have had tons on wheeler 2 and 4 wheel,but this is the first one I have ever had that I can't find no oil on the dipstick.Its been like this for 4 months I just change it regular and ride it.I have yet changed oil and found to where it was down any.

BrandonV
03-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by crazy4number8
Don't feel Bad I have a 2002 honda 400ex and I can't find where my oil is going.Now I have had tons on wheeler 2 and 4 wheel,but this is the first one I have ever had that I can't find no oil on the dipstick.Its been like this for 4 months I just change it regular and ride it.I have yet changed oil and found to where it was down any.

Thats whats happening to me too. I dont no where it goes?haha

TripleR400
03-15-2008, 10:03 AM
let your engine idle for three minutes before turning it off and then check dont rev up your motor at all for for those three minutes