PDA

View Full Version : bad plates or grooved basket?

Pipeless416
03-02-2008, 12:32 PM
hey guys, ive had an ongoing issue with my ex for a little while now. when dragging or just running full throttle on straights, as soon as i shift into 4th, the thing just stops accelerating and the rpms shoot up. i'm pretty positive its a clutch issue and not trans, as it still shifts ok, and its a 2000 still on original clutch components. i'm wondering if anybody has had this happen to them when under hard throttle. was it just worn plates, or was it grooves in the basket? it almost seems like when i pull the clutch in to shift, the plates get stuck in the disengaged position, and at rest, it tends to creep forward a little bit. i will be replacing the fibers, steels, and springs with an ebc kit, but i was wondering about the basket. if it is grooved too much, would you recommend spending the extra $50 for a hinson, or just go stock? also, can a hinson basket be mixed with a stock inner hub and pressure plate? thanks for reading.

zrpilot
03-02-2008, 02:34 PM
I replace my basket once every two years with a new stock one for two reasons:

1. Grooving from the plates
2. I have seen on higher HP 400EXs the clutch basket backing plates break sending steel pieces thru the
engine , doing considerable damage.

Pipeless416
03-02-2008, 03:34 PM
do you choose stock since you replace it regularly just because of cost? what are the reasons for choosing stock over hinson? thanks for the help!

zrpilot
03-02-2008, 03:46 PM
yes, cost vs. replacement frequency. Nothing wrong with the Hinson, but the stock basket comes with a NEW gear already installed.

Pipeless416
03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
and i suppose its like anything else where you don't really want a new gear spinning with an older gear.. is that the case with everything else too? i mean i can just replace the basket and not all the other components right? im thinking the pressure plate and inner hub arent exactly "high wear" items..?

TRXRacer1
03-02-2008, 04:41 PM
You would be perfectly fine just replacing the basket if the other parts look alright and I'm betting they do.

zrpilot
03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
and i suppose its like anything else where you don't really want a new gear spinning with an older gear.. is that the case with everything else too? i mean i can just replace the basket and not all the other components right? im thinking the pressure plate and inner hub arent exactly "high wear" items..?

Typically I just replace the basket, but certainly inspect the other parts for wear and replace if necessary.