PDA

View Full Version : to rumble, or not to rumble, that is the question

Fenix169motox
03-02-2008, 11:28 AM
hey everyone i'm looking at a set of duals for my v6 dakota and im kinda curious,
Does anyone know if putting on a high flow muffler or cherrry bomb will help or hurt my fuel economy?
I drive roughly 180 miles a week and already get only 15 mpg so if its gunna hurt my mileage i'll wait till i get outa school.
Something i was also thinkin bout doing was cutting out the factory muffler and sticking a cherry bomb or something there instead so it looks factory but still sounds good ya know?

roundsy
03-02-2008, 11:37 AM
i put a cherry bomb pro high flow muffler on my v6 chev and i didn't notice any change in MPG....oh it also has a nice rumble :D

Fenix169motox
03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
sweet, i've got the little mpg meter thing in the dome lights, and it laughs at me all the time, so i dont really wanna rip out the stock stuff and find out that my mpg sucks, and then be stuck.
and i kinda always figured a v6 would sound like a bumble bee..
But its kinda pathetic when i hit the gas and dont hear anything. lol

cbrooks118
03-03-2008, 08:27 AM
people with dualled out v6's used to get beat up where i am from

bluebaron
03-03-2008, 08:45 AM
same here

<DRS>GPF
03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
its hard to make the V6 dakota get any worse for mileage..

ive been looking around for ways to get more ponies from the crappy fuel economy on mine, which is gonna start with cold air intake, then new tires and lowering it, with a finale' of a gibson dual exhaust..

i doubt anything i do will make it notably better for fuel economy, but at least i wont need to kick it down to pass at 75+mph..

dakota-durango.com forum is where i pick up tidbits of info for mine.

54warrior
03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by cbrooks118

Originally posted by bluebaron
same here

+3!!!

<DRS>GPF
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM

uh right... happens all the time eh?

Flyin-Low
03-03-2008, 06:12 PM

I don't see the logic in beating up someone who puts duals on a V6?

Fenix169motox
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
hey if ya got a v6 you might as well make use of what you got, its already bad enough when you floor it and your truck says "what?!?"
So maybe gettin a few more horses out from under the hood will help that.
I'm thinking i might just get a flowmaster or cherry bomb muffler and stick it where the stock pos goes and see what happens, i really dont wanna be stuck if it sucks tho.. oh well.

You think it'll run lean if i put a"less warm" air intake on it? (a cone filter and a steel tube) or wil the compooter make up for it?
then opening up the exhaust would affect it too..

i should prolly get one of those chips and have it do its magic, Anyone have any luck with those things?

Stevie-D
03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
my first truck was a v6 dakota. ran straight pipes on that thing for the longest time:macho had two muffler tips made by heartthrob ( jc whitney special:rolleyes: ) that quieted it down some. word of information though: if drunk and listening from a distance... the old 3.9 magnums with cherry bombs sounds like a cummins motor wound right out:chinese: sober... not so much:blah:

roundsy
03-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Fenix169motox
I'm thinking i might just get a flowmaster or cherry bomb muffler and stick it where the stock pos goes and see what happens, i really dont wanna be stuck if it sucks tho.. oh well.

thats all i did, i dont have duals but my muffler went and my buddy owns a muffler shop, he told me the cherry bomb pro sounds almost identical to the flowmaster so we just went that route and i can't complain at all.

DO NOT however just throw a cherry bomb glass pack resonator on there. my friend had a 98 v6 dakota and did that...sounded kinda ricey :o

Fenix169motox
03-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Thats DEFINITLY something i cannot stand lol

so thats prolly what im gunna do, flowmaster somthin in place of the stock muffler crap.
You guys are gunna laugh at this but i've got this old stock quad pipe layin around and i was kinda amusing myself and thinking what if i stick 2.25" tube right through it and make it into a tip? lol

Dont hate

I'll post a pic or somethin when i put a non-stock muffler on it. wel'll see