PDA

View Full Version : DIRT WHEELS ; april 2008 issue

400thacker
03-01-2008, 10:39 PM
just wondering how many people here read dirt wheels. I can never find it here where i am and went to a book store and found the 2008 april issue. has an awesome article titled 450 shootout. Honda trx450r tied for top speed and acceleration with the yamaha yfz450. I LOVE THIS MAGAZINE! i have read them before but i am buying a subscription for sure.

so how many people here read it? and...
have you ever had your pic in the letters section before?

shadowwalker
03-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I hate that they seem to be a bit biased towards yamaha. I have no issue with yamaha, but the yfz and 450r are no longer the best 450's. They seem to have trouble accepting that. And using looks as a factor is also kind of lame.

Which 450?
03-02-2008, 08:06 AM
definately too biased for me

elmer91
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
yeah, it always seems that yamaha "wins" most of their shoot outs. i prefer to read QUAD magazine.

416exfreak
03-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, maybe the Yamaha is the better quad.

The YFZ gets updates every year, the 450r has gotten a new gas cap and some graphics changes. The Raptor 700r VS. KFX700 shootout was a no brainer.

If you people would have actually read the whole article and comprehended, then you would have realized that the KTM450XC won the shootout. But they said, if you cannot afford the KTM, then the YFZ is still thier second choice.

Not everyone can afford the KTM, and the YFZ has perfect ergos, a comfortable seat, good power, good looks and its pretty fast, even stock.

Go back, read the article, and you'll realize that thye YFZ had the least complaints.

The kawi has a rock hard seat, and it doesnt steer straight worth a chit. It also had a noticable lack of traction and a lot of vibration

The LT-R and MXR450 both got bad knocks for having 18" rear tires, which caused them to bottom out sometimes and the zuki also got bad marks for needing a better suspension settup.

The Can-am had a notchy tranny, noisy clutch, poor bottom end power and no reverse.

Its pretty simple. The yamaha had the least amount of bad things (next to the KTM) and they were'nt serious issues. All the YFZ needs is EFI and reverse.

My next quad will more than likely be a YFZ. Ive seen to many Hondas that are unreliable (aside from my own POS) and way to many Yamahas towing them back to the trailer (my dad has towed me on several occasions, w/ his YAMAHA)

Im glad they do these shootouts. It gives the public something to go by. Ive ridden half of those quads (the YFZ, 450R, LT-R and KFX) and my favorite one was the Yamaha.:ermm:

roundsy
03-02-2008, 11:42 AM
....here we go again :rolleyes:

elmer91
03-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by roundsy
....here we go again :rolleyes:

lol, another classic debate.

700bRad
03-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win your still a retard...

mod440ex
03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
The kawi has a rock hard seat, and it doesnt steer straight worth a chit. It also had a noticable lack of traction and a lot of vibration

where do they get that the kfx doesnt steer straight, i have not had one problem. the traction problem doesnt seem to be a problem at all. and the vibration is only bad if you forgot to change your tampon

416exfreak
03-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by mod440ex

where do they get that the kfx doesnt steer straight, i have not had one problem. the traction problem doesnt seem to be a problem at all. and the vibration is only bad if you forgot to change your tampon

Just posting whats in the DW magazine. Dont attack me for what they said.

Id buy a Yamaha over any of them, but thats just because of personal experience.

m.h.s.c.#527
03-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Just posting whats in the DW magazine. Dont attack me for what they said.

Id buy a Yamaha over any of them, but thats just because of personal experience.

i highly doubt they said it doesnt steer worth a ***DELETED***:grr:

416exfreak
03-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527
i highly doubt they said it doesnt steer worth a ***DELETED***:grr:

They didnt literally say that, but I paraphrased what they said.

Ive rode a KFX, they vibrate alot and they do have traction problems. It didnt steer very straight either.:ermm:

mod440ex
03-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
They didnt literally say that, but I paraphrased what they said.

Ive rode a KFX, they vibrate alot and they do have traction problems. It didnt steer very straight either.:ermm:

you just said dont get mad at you because you said you werent bashing them, and now you just confirmed everything that dirtwheels said. you need to get your lies in order before you start stating things you dont know anything about.

416exfreak
03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mod440ex
you just said dont get mad at you because you said you werent bashing them, and now you just confirmed everything that dirtwheels said. you need to get your lies in order before you start stating things you dont know anything about.

Im not lying about anything. Does someone need a tampon?:confused:

I posted what dirtwheels said, to back up MY argument. I didnt see a rule anywhere that said we cant put our personal experiences in with it.

Dont call me a lier when your the one who needs to be reading and comprehending what you read. Oh yea, try using proper punctuation. It makes things, wayyyyy easier to read.;)

trx400EXtreme
03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by elmer91
yeah, it always seems that yamaha "wins" most of their shoot outs. i prefer to read QUAD magazine. yea ever since i got my first quad magazine i stopped getting dirtwheels and subscribed to quad. much better mag IMO.

Flyin-Low
03-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
yea ever since i got my first quad magazine i stopped getting dirtwheels and subscribed to quad. much better mag IMO.

Same deal with me, I used to love DW but it's nothing but advertisements and Yamaha.

NJ450rider
03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
WTF ive ridden 3 kfx450rs and they all had better steering and handling than my honda 450R. Traction felt fine as well being on stock tires. Just further proves my point that dirtwheels test riders are nonriding idiots. they dont belong on atvs period.

The yfz450 and 450r are not even close to the top of the food chain anymore. what a joke.

Quad and Atvrider magazines are way better than dirtwheels anyday of the week when it comes to testing new models and doing comparisions. there actually unbaised and truthful about things unlike dirtwheels.

06YFZ450SE
03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Did the DW april 2008 have a quad in it like the Banshee 500 twin cylinder 4 storke in april 2007. April Fools. I need to get the issue.

What was the track,top speed outcome. I think all they need to do to the YFZ is make it 49" stock like the LT-R.

06YFZ450SE
03-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Did the DW april 2008 have a quad in it like the Banshee 500 twin cylinder 4 storke in april 2007. April Fools. I need to get the issue.

What was the track,top speed,HP outcome. I think all they need to do to the YFZ is make it 49" stock like the LT-R.

700bRad
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
wow why is there so much hate in the world today? I know! lets blame it on dirtwheels :rolleyes: !

03-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 06YFZ450SE
I think all they need to do to the YFZ is make it 49" stock like the LT-R.

That would deffinatey make them loose sales. I have only twice in my life seen a LTR ride trails because its so dang wide. The guys could only ride the main trails which are whooped out because everyone that doesnt know their way around 2600 acres rides the main trails. The further from them you get the better the trails and the trails besides the main 1 are way to small to fit something 49" through it. Stock 450's besides the LTR already have a tougher time in a lot of the trails because they just make it. If I went with just +1 a-arms on my 400ex I would have to go way slower and I might now fit through some stuff. Making the 450's besides the LTR the size they are is great because you can choose MX or XC.

NJ450rider
03-03-2008, 06:23 AM
I have a feeling that the 09 yfz450 is going to have a xc and mx version. both being diff lenghts, widths, tires etc. I also have a good feeling that its going to come stock with ohlins shocks from the factory for 09. Two good reasons why bill ballance is so excited and antsy for the 09 model. Hes says its going to suprise alot of people. Those two things would definatly suprise me!

And bill has been working very close with ohlins and even going there to help build and test shocks. Guarenteed yamaha is very involved as well.

06YFZ450SE
03-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
That would deffinatey make them loose sales. I have only twice in my life seen a LTR ride trails because its so dang wide. The guys could only ride the main trails which are whooped out because everyone that doesnt know their way around 2600 acres rides the main trails. The further from them you get the better the trails and the trails besides the main 1 are way to small to fit something 49" through it. Stock 450's besides the LTR already have a tougher time in a lot of the trails because they just make it. If I went with just +1 a-arms on my 400ex I would have to go way slower and I might now fit through some stuff. Making the 450's besides the LTR the size they are is great because you can choose MX or XC.

I thought It would be nice if it was 49" becuz thats less money for someone to spent to buy aftermarket A arms to make it wider.I race MX so thats why I thought it would be nice to have it 49".

shadowwalker
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Its funny how companies are just now doing what Cannondale did 6 or so years ago. EFI and different models to suit different riding styles, and 440cc's.

mod440ex
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
yeah it to bad that they where just a little bit ahead of the time, it would have been cool to see what kinda new innovations cannondale would have come up with.

NJ450rider
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
You could always go buy a new ATK 450mx atv. It is a cannondale just diff name.