PDA

View Full Version : 400ex wont start just clicks

TBrunk
03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey,

Went to start up the quad the other day. The battery was low and did not crank over. I hooked it up to the charger for a while then tried again and it cranked right up. I rode it for about 5 mins and parked it. Well, today went out there and now all it does when I hit the starter button is the solenoid just makes a clicking noise and it does not crank over at all. I have gone through all the neg and checked them and they are all good. I have also tried to jump the solenoid and nothing different happened.

When I originally tried starting it when the battery died out it made this same solenoid clicking noise. After the charge it just started right up though.

Let me know what yall think my problem is. Thanks.

REDRIDDER
03-01-2008, 07:56 PM
to low of voltage to turn the starter.....cause battery is beat. high compression piston?

TBrunk
03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
you think thats what it is...I have also tried starting while the battery was on the charger and it still does the same thing.

Guess I could take the battery out and have it checked. Any other way to check it?

No high compression piston yet!

EDIT: ALSO IT WILL START AND RUN PERFECT WHEN YOU PUSH START IT. I push started it and rode for about 2 hours and still does the same clicking noise.

REDRIDDER
03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
yeah CHECK it right out in the garbage lmao....but seriously that battery is probably on its last leg and is no longer capable of holding a charge. and if you have access to a trickle charger put it on that and let it sit on auto. EDIT AFTER SEEING YOUR POST.........JUNK BATTERY .

TBrunk
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
thats what its been on. I put it on the trickle for 2 days and the charger showed that it was good.

TBrunk
03-01-2008, 08:22 PM
got ya...well wish I had a buddy that had a 400ex so I could through a working battery in it to see if thats it for sure. All my buddies have 450r's and a 450f

REDRIDDER
03-01-2008, 08:23 PM
IT PROBALY DID SAY IT WAS GOOD BUT PUT UNDER A LOAD IT KILLS IT QUICK RIGHT?..

TBrunk
03-01-2008, 08:28 PM
after sitting on the charger for 2 days it did absolutely nothing different. The lights will turn on if that makes a difference???

Battery did not show any signs of getting bad...the reason it didnt start was because it hadnt been started in about a month and its been cold.

Brauap
03-01-2008, 08:29 PM
The same thing had happen to me, with the jumping of the silinoid, and turned out my silinoid was bad. Quick change, and its been fine, for a long time. So, my guess, the silinoid.

REDRIDDER
03-01-2008, 08:34 PM
true that!

QuadManiac
03-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Probably battery, possibly starter or starter cable.