PDA

View Full Version : burning the clutch

tman12345
03-01-2008, 02:59 PM
i know this a complete noob question but what exactly is burning the clutch and how does it occur?

zarquon442
03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Its from riding the friction point for too long. It overheats the clutch disks and pressure plates.

tman12345
03-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by zarquon442
Its from riding the friction point for too long. It overheats the clutch disks and pressure plates.

whats the friction point?

Flyin-Low
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
The friction point is where the clutch is just beginning to grab, like riding with your clutch half way pulled in.

tman12345
03-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
The friction point is where the clutch is just beginning to grab, like riding with your clutch half way pulled in.

so its bad to have the clutch partially out for a good amount of time, i knew that. But also isn't it bad to disengage or engage the clutch with your foot on the acellerator? i also heard it was bad to have your clutch out but also not accelerating, true?
I heard this on another forum.

tman12345
03-01-2008, 08:31 PM
so does revving up high and then dumping the clutch damage the clutch or other parts?

tman12345
03-01-2008, 08:32 PM
and isn't it kind of neccesary to let the clutch out slowly sometimes like when creeping like at a stop light or something.(i'm talking about in cars and trucks)

400exrider989
03-01-2008, 08:49 PM
well the other guys covered the friction point, you also do not want to go into high rpms with the clutch pulled in , it will melt a few things and burn you clutch, alos if you know how to properly dump the clutch its not to bad and you should need to pull in the clutch when you coming to a stop, watch or listen to your rpms and pull in and down shift when neccesary

tman12345
03-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider989
well the other guys covered the friction point, you also do not want to go into high rpms with the clutch pulled in , it will melt a few things and burn you clutch, alos if you know how to properly dump the clutch its not to bad and you should need to pull in the clutch when you coming to a stop, watch or listen to your rpms and pull in and down shift when neccesary

how do you properly dump the clutch

quad2xtreme
03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Don't make this overly complicated. There are two situations...

1) normal riding - let the clutch out as fast as you can with the least amount of gas without stalling

2) racing - let the clutch out as fast as you can with as much gas on as you can without flipping the quad over

BTW, I just pulled my clutch apart from my 2000 400ex. I couldn't tell it from the new parts I ordered so I left the old clutch in there. Not bad for 7 years of riding.

Amsoil is a man's best friend. :-)

quad2xtreme
03-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Don't make this overly complicated. There are two situations...

1) normal riding - let the clutch out as fast as you can with the least amount of gas without stalling

2) racing - let the clutch out as fast as you can with as much gas on as you can without flipping the quad over (you will be spinning the tires in the dirt at this point)

The real idea is to get full friction on the clutch as soon as you can so there is no slipping. If your clutch is pulled all the way in, there is no real wear or heat generated on your clutch pads. If you are at the point of contact but not enough pressure to really grab, then it is slipping...this generates alot of heat on your clutch pads. This is really bad if you do it on regular basis.

BTW, I just pulled my clutch apart from my 2000 400ex. I couldn't tell it from the new parts I ordered so I left the old clutch in there. Not bad for 7 years of riding.

Amsoil is a man's best friend. :-)

KXRida
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Keep in mind that a clutch is consumable part and will wear out. A clutch is there for a few reasons, mx, it's mainly to get the revs up and make smoother starts/corners/etc.

Keeping the clutch partially engaged while driving will infact lead to premature clutch wear and warping of the plates. When you are at speed, keep you foot off the clutch. It's pretty common that people drive with the foot on the clutch as a rest, then they wonder why their clutch is slipping all the time. "Dumping" the clutch is pretty much when you have your revs up and either A) drop it in a quick fashion or B) just rip your foot off the pedal. Is it hard on parts, all depends. If you have a 454 and a 7.5 rear end that would pretty much kill it lol. Constant clutch drops are hard on parts for sure, but the more power you have, the hard it is on the drive train. Just some parts to name a few that could cause conflict, spider gears, ring and pinion, drive shaft, all u joints, transmission, clutch, etc. My brother did a hard first to second clutch drop in his ranger and it ripped the clutch fibers right out of the rivits and bent all the fingers on the pressure plate. If you're talking about clutch dropping on the street, eh probably not really smart unless you can break the tires loose pretty easy. Off road or in the rain where traction is not as high, yah it probably won't hurt it too bad. I avoid pretty much all clutch drops in my truck after going through a good bit of front axles/u joints off road, a rear axle, and toasted a clutch. Most of it is due to a big tire size on a little truck which is why I wasn't surprised that any of that broke.

When creeping ofcourse you are going to have to ride the clutch a little bit. That is what it's there for.