PDA

View Full Version : rear shock

drew416ex
03-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a stock rear shock revalved and resprung from elka. How much better would a custom axis shock be. I figure a totaly aftermarket shock has to be better right? Thanks!

Misfit400ex
03-01-2008, 04:42 PM
a stock shock revalved and resprung is just as good as aftermarket shocks, if the aftermarket shocks are revalved and sprung too, if the shock is set up for your weight and riding style, the name brand on the outside of it doesnt really matter too much now does it.

buster024
03-01-2008, 05:49 PM
a stock shock revalved and resprung is just as good as aftermarket shocks.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily say that. A stock shock that has been worked over by Elka is a good all around shock. Depending on what type of rider you are, it may be all you need. But comparing it to all aftermarket models, may be a bit of a stretch.
If you are comparing the cost of the two, then no question having a stock shock reworked is dollar for dollar your best deal. That being said, in my opinion, most aftermarket shocks will outperform any revalved stock shock hands down.

drew416ex
03-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by buster024
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily say that. A stock shock that has been worked over by Elka is a good all around shock. Depending on what type of rider you are, it may be all you need. But comparing it to all aftermarket models, may be a bit of a stretch.
If you are comparing the cost of the two, then no question having a stock shock reworked is dollar for dollar your best deal. That being said, in my opinion, most aftermarket shocks will outperform any revalved stock shock hands down.

Thats how I feel. Ive ridden a few other quads (not 400ex) with aftermarket shocks and they just feel so much better in the rear than mine. No doubt its way better than just the stock setup, but I think I could get a better ride out of an aftermarket shock. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

procircuit406ex
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
This is all personal oponion, but the way I have my rear setup right now, the only other rear setup I have set on and liked better was an Ohlins/ARSfx long travel setup...all personal oponion though.

drew416ex
03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by procircuit406ex
This is all personal oponion, but the way I have my rear setup right now, the only other rear setup I have set on and liked better was an Ohlins/ARSfx long travel setup...all personal oponion though.

What setup do you have?

procircuit406ex
03-02-2008, 10:39 AM
stock shock compression all the way down, rebound stock, stock swinger, and a xc link

Gatekeeper
03-02-2008, 04:45 PM
What does the XC link do? Advantages?

drew416ex
03-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by procircuit406ex
stock shock compression all the way down, rebound stock, stock swinger, and a xc link

That wouldnt be too good of a setup for me. Compression all the way down on a mx track with some pretty decent jumps would kill me.

Pipeless416
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
i had an issue with "bucking" over whoops, and i slowed down the rebound quite a bit, got rid of some preload and left the compression alone. it definitely made it better over bumps, and the rear doesn't kick nearly as much.

drew416ex
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i had an issue with "bucking" over whoops, and i slowed down the rebound quite a bit, got rid of some preload and left the compression alone. it definitely made it better over bumps, and the rear doesn't kick nearly as much.

Thanks. Ill try that out and see how it works.

rcatvrider
03-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Do 450r rear shocks fit? You can get them for around 100 bucks on ebay so I was just wondering.

drew416ex
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
The rear fits but its like an inch shorter than the ex shock and suposedly makes it a rough ride.

procircuit406ex
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
What does the XC link do? Advantages?

More wheel travel, lower ride height, takes the bucking out of the rear end. And I ride in the woods so the jumps aren't a problem for me.