PDA

View Full Version : flat feeling?

slow96hater
03-01-2008, 02:35 PM
i got a 400 ex thats been bored .0040 over, and has a hotcams stg1 cam, and a dmc alien exhaust, uni filter with no box lid.

i feel i have my bottom end figured out, the bike pulls really well all the way untill halfway threw fourth, then it seems to flatten out, and when i shift to fith, it stays at about the same rpm as it was in fourth, just really flat feeling, no throttle response.

i am not getting any spark knock at all, so its got me trying to decide if its lean, or rich, or if its just a big turd.

would a flat feeling be rich or lean?

thanks

TRXRacer1
03-01-2008, 02:44 PM
So you got a 406 with no power. What compression piston did you put it? What carb are you running, what jets? What kind of plug and what do you gap it at. What is your pin number for your ATM card? Your issue of not being able to pull through 4th and 5th leads me to think you have some issues other then tuning here. Are you able to get a PSI reading on the cylinder and have you checked your valve clearences?

boosted3g
03-01-2008, 04:04 PM
The idea of it feeling "flat" in the higher gears leads me to believe that it could be a clutch issue. Tuning dont fluxuate with gears just rpm and throttle angle. 4th and 5th gear is where the clutch is working the hardest. Have you had any signs of a weak clutch or has it been run hard.

slow96hater
03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
no, no, my bad guys.

i shoulda been a little more clearer. i know its a jetting issue, because i had it running real good with just the piston, and my exhaust, with my needle in the second position, and a kehin 155 main, and stock pilot. THEN i added on the camshaft, and rmoved my airbox lid, then i never re jetted. i rejetted to a 162 main just a little bit ago, and it made a pretty good ammount of difference.

its got great lowend power, i can cruise around 25 in fith gear and lean back and pull the throttle and wheelie all the way to my grab bar. my issue was with my main jet and i was asking if you guys thought a flat feeling could be because of a lean condition. what i mean by a flat feeling is the motor is makeing good power, then just kinda levels out at a certain rpm and quits climbing rpms, makeing it flat.

anyways a 162 deffenitally helped it out, and i wanna even try a 165, but, with the temperatures riseing tommorw im just gonna leave it alone till then and try it again.

thanks for the info tho guys. i appreciate it.

slow96hater
03-01-2008, 05:35 PM
oh ps.

im not allowed to give my pin number to strangers :o , and im running a 10:1 wiseco, with the plug they call for stock( i cant remember) and im positive i have it gapped at what ever the manual calls for too. EXAMPLE.... i think it said it could be gapped like lets say .23-.35, i have got mine gapped closer to the middle so, in this case mine is gapped and .29.

valve clearence is at .006, and .007 for the exhaust. also.