PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter question.

ZeroLogic
03-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I just changed my oil on my truck but I could not get that ****ing oil filter out for the life of me. I spent two hours trying to get it out and I finally said screw it. So I went and put new oil in the engine. My question is, will my old oil filter do any harm to engine? Also any tips on trying to get them out. There is barely any room to get your hands in there and the oil wrenchees don't even fit. Thanks.:mad:

nickmelll
03-01-2008, 10:52 AM
they make one thats like a fabric srap and has a socket thing on the side that u put a ratcet on... u may be able to try that ....if ther is room you could try taping it with a hammer to lossen it a little

NacsMXer
03-01-2008, 12:28 PM
The oil filter on my 5.4L V8 in my F-150 is the same way. The way that it is oriented on the block, you have to reach way up just behind the front axle to get to it. Once you get your hand on it you can grip it, but the front axle prevents your arm from being able to rotate the filter :mad: :p

What I do when the oil filter is really tight is I get one of those universal "jaw" type oil filter wrenches (they look like big channel locks). Even when you get one of these wrenches on my filter, again you cannot rotate it much at all. So what I do is get the jaws on the filter as best as I can, and then turn the filter in tiny increments, maybe like half a degree at a time. It is slow going, but if you keep at it the filter will loosen up enough to get it off by hand.

I would recommend trying this as you're going to have to change the oil filter eventually. Always coat the new filter gasket with some oil and tighten by hand. Watch to make sure the old gasket comes off with the old filter, you don't want to double gasket your new filter! (makes a big mess, i've been there).

If all else fails you can try the old punching the screwdriver through the filter and turning trick, but doesn't always work and kinda commits you to getting the thing off then and there.

LT250_JOE
03-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I just changed my oil on my truck but I could not get that ****ing oil filter out for the life of me. I spent two hours trying to get it out and I finally said screw it. So I went and put new oil in the engine. My question is, will my old oil filter do any harm to engine? Also any tips on trying to get them out. There is barely any room to get your hands in there and the oil wrenchees don't even fit. Thanks.:mad:

What Year, Brand, Model, Engine truck???? Old filter wont harm engine until it clogs/ cant trap junk anymore. I've had people come to my work with 25k + miles between oil changes(usually lease vehicles).

450raider
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
ha changing a filter is no big thing on my f150, all i got is this big round metal thing that fits my size of filters and i put on the end of 3-4 socket extensions and just snake it up to the filter and pry it loose, same way goes for putting in a new one

wykyd450R
03-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Punch a long screwdriver thru it, and use it to turn it.;)

ZeroLogic
03-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
The oil filter on my 5.4L V8 in my F-150 is the same way. The way that it is oriented on the block, you have to reach way up just behind the front axle to get to it. Once you get your hand on it you can grip it, but the front axle prevents your arm from being able to rotate the filter :mad: :p

What I do when the oil filter is really tight is I get one of those universal "jaw" type oil filter wrenches (they look like big channel locks). Even when you get one of these wrenches on my filter, again you cannot rotate it much at all. So what I do is get the jaws on the filter as best as I can, and then turn the filter in tiny increments, maybe like half a degree at a time. It is slow going, but if you keep at it the filter will loosen up enough to get it off by hand.

I would recommend trying this as you're going to have to change the oil filter eventually. Always coat the new filter gasket with some oil and tighten by hand. Watch to make sure the old gasket comes off with the old filter, you don't want to double gasket your new filter! (makes a big mess, i've been there).

If all else fails you can try the old punching the screwdriver through the filter and turning trick, but doesn't always work and kinda commits you to getting the thing off then and there.
Yea. I'm going to pick up one of them. I did put oil on the filter last time I changed it and tighted it by hand. I have no idea why its so damn tight.

Originally posted by LT250_JOE
What Year, Brand, Model, Engine truck???? Old filter wont harm engine until it clogs/ cant trap junk anymore. I've had people come to my work with 25k + miles between oil changes(usually lease vehicles).
Its a 1998 Nissan Frontier 4wd

Originally posted by wykyd450R
Punch a long screwdriver thru it, and use it to turn it.;)

Yea, I heard about that. I don't know if theres even enough room to swing a hammer in there or to even turn the damn screwdriver.:ermm: Would that damage the threads at all?

Bradracer18
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Okay, they make a ton of tools for this. You just need to find them and see which will work best.

Here is the strap that is very useful

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-kd-3149.html?site=www.shopzilla.com

Here is one that also almost always works

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-lis53250.html?site=www.shopzilla.com

And, the channel lock type ones

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-kd-3369.html?site=www.shopzilla.com

And, finally the socket type ones that slide over the outside of the filter

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=37562

These are just pictures I found real quick, but it should come off with one of these. The screwdriver trick works too, and takes some pressure off, to get that oil out of there. You puncture the filter out near the edge, not in the inside where the treads are.

JOEX
03-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I removed an oil filter with a section of extension cord once...:cool: