PDA

View Full Version : replacing rings need help ?

matthewb20
03-01-2008, 10:14 AM
i need to tear in to my 400ex and replace the rings cause the quad is smoking pretty good, now do i have to take the engine off the frame to work on it or is it accesable on the frame? also is it pretty easy to do it on your own rather than have a dealer do it? i plan on tearing into it real soon just trying to get some info from you guys on some tips on what to do first thanks all info is greatly appreciated

TRXRacer1
03-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by matthewb20
i need to tear in to my 400ex and replace the rings cause the quad is smoking pretty good, now do i have to take the engine off the frame to work on it or is it accesable on the frame? also is it pretty easy to do it on your own rather than have a dealer do it? i plan on tearing into it real soon just trying to get some info from you guys on some tips on what to do first thanks all info is greatly appreciated You can do this very easily in frame. Just make sure you get the cylinder mic'd because you probably need more then just rings.

matthewb20
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
thats good to know, well whats else do you think ill need other than rings?

TRXRacer1
03-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by matthewb20
thats good to know, well whats else do you think ill need other than rings? You might need a new piston and a bore too.

Young_Gun1
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
you have to have it honed to get the rings to seal up right at the very least

REDRIDDER
03-15-2008, 04:30 PM
also remember that smoking can be caused by other things such as worn valves,valve guides,valve seals,worn valve seats. also if the cylinder looks to be ok you may just haft to hone it.

matthewb20
03-16-2008, 12:15 PM
so once i tear it apart whats a good indication that the valves might be bad or the seats, i would hate to tear it apart hone it replace the rings and put it back together and still have it smoking, is there any site you recommend for buying parts, ive always ordered from rockymountian, but always looking for other good sites, thanks man all info really helps

REDRIDDER
03-16-2008, 04:52 PM
servicehonda.com

Honda#4
03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
You can do a leak down test to see if your valves are seated good.