PDA

View Full Version : Gasket question.

guinness77
02-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Question for you guys on some gaskets. While taking apart a 402ex engine (10:1 piston), I discovered some of the gaskets were metal. This was something of a surprise.
Q1. The gasket between the valve cover and head. Is it re-usable? It sure doesn't look like a crush gasket. Would a synthetic gasket from Moose Works do the job?
Q2. The gasket between the head and the cylinder. It's a 2-piece job. Is it re-usable? (I'm thinking "nope" here.) Would a synthetic gasket from Moose Works do the job?
Q3. The gasket between the cylinder and the case. Is it re-usable? Would a synthetic gasket from Moose Works do the job?

Thanks for your imput.

JOEX
03-01-2008, 08:36 AM
1. The valve cover gasket is supposed to be reusable but I had to replace the first time it was apart.

2. That's the head gasket. It isn't intended to be reusable.

3. That's the base gasket and that should be replaced too.

I'm not familiar with the Moose synthetic gaskets.

F-16Guy
03-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I think the general concensus is that OEM gaskets are best if you have a small enough bore to use them (which you do). You want to buy gaskets for the XR400R dirt bike because the XR head gasket is slightly thinner than the EX, which is a good thing with this engine. If you don't go with OEM, the next best thing in my opinion is the Cometic MLS (multi-layer steel) head gasket, which is a laminated metal head gasket similar to OEM. I think the Cometic is generally available in the XR thickness unless you special order something else.

rt20ps
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I have real good luck with the moose gaskets. I use them and sell them everyday.