PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Go Glamis Any Advice???

arTuReX
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Well im planning a trip to Glamis, never been there,never ride any sand!!,so i was wondering what you guys advice on gearing, paddle tires, gear,food, tools, etc!! any warnings?i dont wanna go and find out the hard way, oh, i shoulda, woulda, coulda! as usual any help is welcome, thanks!

F150marine
03-01-2008, 10:24 AM
The best advice is go with someone that goes to Glamis all the time (ME). When are you going?

If this is not an option a phone call would be in order. I don't mine helping you out.

PM me your number and I can give you a call..

F150marine
03-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Glamis 2008 picture

desratt
03-01-2008, 12:18 PM
we make the pilgrimage every year on thanksgiving.. advice is have a sticker and a flag(even put a flag on a truck if you go on the sand) . don't launch over dunes with out a spotter. experience once you start going you'll now what to do next time and trust me there will be a next time.. every time we go we find out how to make it better for next time. everyone has different opinions on stuff. like I like straight paddles others like angles or sand stars. I set my bike up more like desert racing cause I like pounding through the whoops. but no skid plates . we spend some time dragging but not all day like some do.. and it is good to just spend some time spectating.

d3ktrix
03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by desratt
advice is have a sticker and a flag

Sticker?
For registration I'm guessing?

desratt
03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
yea you have to have a sticker from any state.. I usually just get the california out of state sticker it's like 20 bucks no paperwork to fill out.

d3ktrix
03-01-2008, 06:45 PM
ah aight thanks

bloodmoney23
03-02-2008, 10:54 AM
yeah me and about 30 guys are heading out there for new years. prolly more we have a year to gather people. Have family down in AZ that go almost every month. Its alot of fun. Def dont take any cold cut sandwhiches that will stay in cooler more than a day. Pretty nasty turnout. Best bet is a lot of water, beer, grill, and a hot plate or something. Paddle tires I would recommend anything 10 or over on paddle count. The 8's work but i prefer not to use them. youll have a blast and def listen to desratt, ive seen a few people go to hospital cause someone jumped a dune with no spotter and took a front end to face.

arTuReX
03-02-2008, 02:33 PM
F150Marine, i PM'ed you!
Flag, stickers, spotter, grill, this is good stuff! 10 paddle tire? ok im working on it(saving$$ actually), i also heard that i need to change my gearing??

bloodmoney23
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
art, go to www.motosport.com im guessing you aint from glammis or the dunes so if you are only gonna go once in a while a cheap set of paddles will suit u pretty good. they have them at that site for like $36 a tire for the cheapest paddle.

arTuReX
03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I live in the Bay Area in Nor Cal, so it will be a long trip, i was even thinking going to pismo first sinse it would be a 4 hour trip from were i live and then hit Glamis later!couse thats like 10 hours away!

roundsy
03-02-2008, 06:05 PM
10 hours is a lot closer than coming from Ontario, Canada!!!...I hope to make the trip one day though, i know it would be the time of my life :)

desratt
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I have buddies that go from willits thats near ukia and santa rosa

also I use 8 paddle straights

bloodmoney23
03-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by desratt
I have buddies that go from willits thats near ukia and santa rosa

also I use 8 paddle straights

Well i come from Ohio every time i go, thats a 4 day trip just to get there LOL! You feel you get enough traction with the 8's? I bought a pair of 8's the one year i went and couldnt grab for anything. I ran 10's 2 years ago and loved them alot better than the 8's

Motofool250r
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
if you have never went to the dunes before there are hills called knife edges or witches eyes,

knife edges are created in the wind usually in winter times on the oregon dunes, but one side looks like a normal hill but its actually a almost vertical drop off the other side, so kinda poke around and watch where your going flying up a hill and launching off a 50ft drop is no fun if your not expecting it

a witches eye is usually created by having a plant or somthing in the sand and then the wind builds up sand around it ina big c and it is a 4-12ft vertical drop one direction and almost like hitting a concrete wall another direction. (makes for good jumps )

they are not so bad if your prepared and pull up and land properly but just keep your eyes open people dont pay attention in the dunes and will run you over because it is all open there are no "trails" or things to keep you on one track

do not hang out on the side of a hill or ina drop off you liable to have some fly over the hill into your crowd.

if your gonna stop and spectate pick an open area or the top of a hill so people can see your flags.

listen for other people flags are only so tall some times you can't see them coming.

i would also think about buying some camel backs for liquids awesome for long trips

sun glasses or tinted goggles are almost a must in the dunes

if you run k&n airfilters you need to buy some outerwears prefilters so your motor doesn't eat sand

and if you use foam they make prefilters also and a good high tack oil,