PDA

View Full Version : This maybe a stupid question but...

REDRIDDER
02-29-2008, 04:10 PM
would their be less vibrations through the handle bars if you filled them with foam,silicon or something along those lines:o ? IMO it would seem to make sense but idk what do you guys think?

NJ450rider
02-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Fasstco makes bar ends for handlebars that are supposed to eliminate vibrations. there like 80 bucks though. I guess you could try it putting something in your bars.

REDRIDDER
02-29-2008, 06:03 PM
You know what.....just for s*** and giggles I'm going to fill my old pair with something but what should i try?

jandjracing
02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I have heard of people using silicone. But I think you need to leave the ends open for a while to let it cure. I think you want silicone caulking, no acrylics.

02-29-2008, 08:55 PM
as crazy as this is today in school i was just thinking of... I wonder if I could fill my handle bars or steering stem with some type or rubber or silicone to act like anti vibe steering stems.

ZSK
02-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Before filling the bars with silicone try a media that will still move inside the bar to absorb vibration. First try some foam BB's like those in airsoft guns. Put on one grip fill the bars about 3/4's the way full and put the other grip on.

REDRIDDER
03-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
as crazy as this is today in school i was just thinking of... I wonder if I could fill my handle bars or steering stem with some type or rubber or silicone to act like anti vibe steering stems. great minds think alkie lol....

400exrider707
03-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I've heard of racers using sand back in the day.

REDRIDDER
03-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I've heard of racers using sand back in the day. whats up buddy? I swear to god i thought of this today at work wow! this is a subject everyone should be trying...who can create the least exspensive best damping pair or handle bars.hahahahahaha...

REDRIDDER
03-01-2008, 08:11 PM
what material would be easy enough to pour but harden like rubber?

03-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
what material would be easy enough to pour but harden like rubber?

rubber cement glue lol

REDRIDDER
03-01-2008, 08:44 PM
i guess a denser material than that lol..

Misfit400ex
03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
melted rubber? not burned, but like convection heated?:confused: :confused: thats my best guess.

jandjracing
03-01-2008, 09:24 PM
How about liquid urethane used to re-line gas tanks. I have seen it white or yellow, you pour it in a gas tank and shake it up and it forms a new lining in the tank when it hardens.....Just a thought.

REDRIDDER
03-02-2008, 09:11 AM
keep the ideas comming guys...

03-02-2008, 10:29 AM
that foam spray thats orangish yellow that seals area to keep critters out or something like that, it dries really quick and it expands a bit so it would fill the bars in. I cant think of the name right now, I probally got a can of it in the garage.

JOEX
03-02-2008, 12:31 PM
that foam spray thats orangish yellow that seals area to keep critters out or something like that, it dries really quick and it expands a bit so it would fill the bars in. I cant think of the name right now, I probally got a can of it in the garage. Be careful with that stuff... if you try it use the stuff made for doors and windows, it doesn't expand as much as the regular kind.

03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Be careful with that stuff... if you try it use the stuff made for doors and windows, it doesn't expand as much as the regular kind.

well wouldnt it be better if it expanded more?

REDRIDDER
03-02-2008, 03:44 PM
this is what I'm going to do in the next week or so I'm going to melt a good amount of rubber down and pour it into an old set of bars first then if it works well i will do so to my new bars.i will keep all of you informed.I might even take pics hahahah. thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, and not everyone just saying oh that's stupid.Thanks......

JOEX
03-02-2008, 05:13 PM
well wouldnt it be better if it expanded more?
Depends on the use.... the regular stuff expands so much that it can cause doors and windows to get jammed or damage the framing, that's why they make a type specifically for doors and windows.
Whether or not it will damage handle bars I don't know but the door and window stuff will expand enough.

03-02-2008, 05:27 PM
bars are pretty thick so i doubt it would hurt them. Idk I am weary of trying it to the only bars I have.

mx4christ
03-08-2008, 04:23 AM
I just filled my bars with 1 step foam. I was afraid to use three stage expansion foam because I had the hollow ends sealed off and 3 stage expands so much it might possibly compramise the integrity of bars. I will test the bars tomorrow.

Misfit400ex
03-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
this is what I'm going to do in the next week or so I'm going to melt a good amount of rubber down and pour it into an old set of bars first then if it works well i will do so to my new bars.i will keep all of you informed.I might even take pics hahahah. thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, and not everyone just saying oh that's stupid.Thanks......

yay my idea is first! i have great ones every now and then.. who knows, maybe this is my latest grand idea. :devil:

tri5ron
03-09-2008, 11:41 PM
the foam in a spray can is called "Great Stuff".
I cant imagine that it would compromise the integrity of any bars, it cant possibly create that much pressure.

besides, the best way to do it would be to spray it into the bars, and leave the bar ends open overnight. then just trim off any excess coming out the following day.