PDA

View Full Version : cornering

mxracer89
11-19-2002, 05:50 PM
what is the best way to corner on a mx track

Ryan
11-19-2002, 05:55 PM
To corner on an MX track. Well to turn the handle bars so the wheels turn witch will make the quad turn.:huh :huh :huh

crashinmatt
11-19-2002, 05:58 PM
u turn the handlebars the way u want to go. j/k

seriously though, this is what i do. if its a sharp turn i go flyin into the corner, then at the last moment, i pull in the clutch, slam on the brakes and turn the bars, and make sure im in second gear. when ive gotten rid of enough speed, or i am just about half way through the turn, i nail the throttle, and slip the clutch out. i try to spin the rear end around if need be, but only if i didnt get turned enough and didnt slide around from braking. now for not as sharp of a turn, i usually hit the brakes but not as much and carry as much speed as i can, and go like h***. hope this helps. its easy for me to do then explain.

Team Outlaw #34
11-19-2002, 06:01 PM
You want to lean into the turn too.

Derek
11-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Well reasonately i have really been practicing my butt off for the spring. I have really been not only pounding myself on the track but i took time to see how to do stuff better. I learned alot about corning. One of the best things i have learned is that if you are going in to a turn and your not getting enough grip, hold your front brake in but dont let off the gas. It lets you grip alot better and you can enter a turn alot faster. When doing this you have to adjust. Make sure you lean far off the bike. This is the best way i have found.:macho

11-19-2002, 07:33 PM
lean and keep the tires spinning

Ryan
11-19-2002, 07:36 PM
Derek, I hold my front brakes around turns when its not to much of a berm and Its hard to powerslide. The trick is to never let your quad roll always be heavy on the throttle and brakes! Remember that and keep trying! Unless hes talking about something else. lol

Derek
11-19-2002, 09:40 PM
alright thanx. Im kinda new to the race scene and i just wanta get better and i figure the only way to do that is to go bet the crap outta myself and learn. I really appreciate the tips:macho

stocktires
11-20-2002, 07:12 AM
useing the front AND rear brake reasonably makes you slow down ALOT faster. Fly into the corner, then slam on brakes. Then you'll have to use a lil body movement to get traction and avoid tipping over.
4-strokers shouldnt hold in the clutch

11-20-2002, 07:43 AM
Keep the hammer down as hard as possible..:blah

Taco
11-20-2002, 07:47 AM
You mean I have had brakes all this time?:huh :confused:

quadman
11-21-2002, 11:03 PM
LMFAO

MxDale71
11-22-2002, 12:50 PM
Well, I don't know if I would be the best person to talk about cornering since that seems to be my problem, but what I try to do is shift down to 2nd, get on the front brakes a little, lean to the inside a lot while leaning forwards at the same time, and get on the throttle hard about half way into the corner and then pin it and sit way the fu*k back leavin the corner.

If it's a 90 degree corner, I just try to sit on my inside nerfbar, pin it, and sit back leavin the corner.

Ryan
11-22-2002, 06:46 PM
Well the thing is what I was talking about is on a track they have the nice dirt, the berms ect. But sometimes when I have to make real sharp turns without berms I come up to the turn quick, slam on the brakes to slow down and tapp the front brakes alittle this way the front it still rolling but your rear wheels will be spinning and then just slide it out. This is also when its hard to powerslide on the terrian. It all depends

Nausty
11-22-2002, 08:37 PM
its almost impossible to explain over the internet with so many variables, type of dirt, ruts or no ruts to follow, berm or not, distance from berm to apex and not only that but you got differant angles of turns. Basically the way I do it if its a berm is ride up on the berm pretty fast but slow down before you hit it it most cases so you have traction and keep your body strait so the sides of the tires dig in and you don't slide and just look forward and try to predict when you will exit and where and mash on the gas exactly when you see yourself exiting the turn there. If its on flat ground to 180 i'll do a quick counter steer turn the other way and gas it around the other way. Try to keep your momentem up through the turns because the corners is where most people lost time I try to stay to the outside and cut into the apex and look ahead and try to see myself on the gas and sliding so that I just come to the edge after the turn. Those are just some of the ways. Also if its a turn where you need traction and don't have to worry about tipping(loose dirt) you shouldn't lean to much inside because then your side tires won't dig in and get as much traction. Theres so much stuff but you just can't explain it on the internet and there is so many differant ways and differant types of corners your just gonna have to take the information as a grain of salt.

QuadTrix6
11-23-2002, 11:49 AM
nausty's right, i would do alot of reading and watching videos. then go out and just practice practice practice.....

(practice make permanace)