PDA

View Full Version : Audio Gurus.

416exfreak
02-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Ok, well this is my situation.

I have a standard cab, full sized truck (93 dodge D150). It still has limited room. I want to put a good system in it.

I would like for it to have a good amount of bass. Not like...ground shaking bass, but enough to thump. Also, I would like to have a good range from low to high. I listen to a mix of rock, metal and rap.

I have 2 6" speakers in each door now, and 2 6x9's behind the seat in a chitty box I made myself.

I also have a Jensen Headunit (will be junked soon for a better headunit) and an MTX amp. Something is wrong with the amp, because it will only play the second guitar in most metal songs. I dont get lead guitar at all.

So basically, I'll be starting fresh.:ermm:

What would you put in the truck? Componets? Brand?

I have somewhere between 6 and 9 inches behind the seat and the back of the truck, but I have about 5 feet of room between each side of the truck (between the seat and the back of the truck). I have the 2 spots in the door also. I can probably make a place to put some tweeters.

Basically, anything that someone experienced with Audio can tell me, and any advice they can give me on putting a decent system in, is going to highy sppreciated.

Thanks,
Justin:)

Regular_Joe
02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Pioneer makes great entry level HUs for cheap, like $120 will get you something with full sub control and everything.

If the amp is only playing the lower sounds, then it sounds like the LPF is on. Turn or to full or HPF and it should work better.

For the subs, just get a pair of 8's on a good amp and call it a day. Just get something reputable and you'll be ok. Get a Rockford, Kicker, JL, Alpine, MTX, etc. Don't get Jensen, Boss, Sony, Audiovox, etc.

ZBlaster
02-29-2008, 12:07 PM
1st off... get good HU (Higher Pioneer's, Alpine, Eclipse, or if you got the big $$ Denon)
2nd: Good mids (Diamond Audio, Fokal, DynAudio, etc)
3rd: Good mid amp (I have a Diamond Audio 4 channel thats probably 10 years old I still use and love)
4th: Good tweets in the pillars always help even the sound in a single cab truck.
5th Depending on how extreme you want, listen around, do some research, find a sub that fits YOU and how YOU want it to sound. Some people have different ideas of what sounds good, you may not like what I like, and vice-versa. For what you said earlier, a single good quality 10" or 12" sub should be sufficient for how you want it to sound. (Id look into the Resonant Engineering SE series, Elemental Designs, maybe even something like a JL W3V2 or so)
6th: Build a good box for it. 3/4" MDF always works great, build to the recommended airspace of the sub of course. In a single cab truck I've always personally prefered a sealed box, around the middle of the recommended sealed box size for the sub. Seal it up good and air tight with your choice of sealent.
7th: Wiring, not time to go cheap. I ALWAYS use Stinger because I've always had great experiences with them. Some of my friends run StreetWires, Phoenix Gold, etc and have good luck with them.
8th: I always use a good EQ, You dont HAVE to have it, but I always recommend them. I have an Audiocontrol Epicenter that I love, you may not need something that extreme, in this case Clarion makes good, cheaper, quality EQ's.

Remember in car audio 9 out of 10 times you get what you pay for, and theres no need to go cheap. Also some not very often heard of companies (ie: Resonant Engineering), make better products than some companies you hear of every day. Research is always something you need to do plenty of before spending the money. I go through probably 6-8 different setups every year, and always take my time researching before I buy any of it.

Any more information, or questions you may have feel free to message me on TaylorRacinEX007 on AIM.

Regular_Joe
02-29-2008, 12:21 PM
+1

RE is a good place to go for subs.

I agree in a smaller cab like that sealed is usually the best route.

3/4 MDF is the standard for making boxes.

cbrooks118
02-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree with alot posted above. Zblaster is right on the money about a single 10 ro 12" sub and the box to match the volume. He did post some high end speakers, and his realization that money=quality is sound advice. Please be aware that there are other brands out there that have good quality stuff that will sound great, but not neccessarily win any competition (Alpine, Kicker, memphis, Infinity,). I think as long as you as you stay in the middle of thier product line they sound great.

I remember once in early college (around 2000 i had a jeep grand cherokee with MB Quartz componet speakers all the way around with two 12" Kicker l7's and a couple of Machintosh amps pushing them. It all headed up by a Alpine headunit with one of the first dvd fold out screens. I definetly went overboard, but it was awesome. I think i acutally reached the point of diminishing returns, and in retrospec i wish i would have put my money elsewhere. All well, live and learn

416exfreak
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Could I get a sub in a sealed box to fit behind the seat?

I have a bench seat...maybe I should have mentioned that.

I was thinking like...maybe a bazooka tube and some good speakers behind the seat, some good door speakers and tweets on the pillars.

Ive come to learnt hat with audio equip. you get what you paid for.

Keep the replies coming guys, im taking notes and stuff for when I go hunting :D

Thanks,
Justin

nickmelll
02-29-2008, 02:10 PM
pioneer and kicker make shallow mount subs http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pioneer-TSSW3041D-12-Subwoofer-Shallow-Pick-Truck-Sub_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38647QQihZ010QQitem Z200203222608QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KICKER-CVT8-8-CompVT-SHALLOW-SUBS-WOOFERS-4-ohm-PAIR_W0QQitemZ170196603681QQihZ007QQcategoryZ18802 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem if you want to take up less room..... ive heard that these are supose to be good too http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-KICKER-10L7-2-10-SOLOBARIC-CAR-AUDIO-L7-SUBWOOFER_W0QQitemZ280203764303QQihZ018QQcategoryZ 3291QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

try here http://www.caraudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3 they were alot of help to me

miller821
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I run a Memphis amp and just a single Memphis PR 10" in the back of my truck. My truck's really hard to find a box for, but we have a local business who custom makes 'em for good prices... I like the PR's and everything, but my next will probably be two 10" Memphis MC's. If not that then probably some Kicker's... Can't really go wrong with either of them. (From my experience)

Kickstarts-suck
02-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Look into Pioneer premier 12" shallow subs. They are 3 1/4 inches deep and hit really hard.

I have a regular cab truck and have a Kicker cvr12 thats 6 9/16" deep and it fits pretty good behind the seat.

Depends on how much room you want to take up behind the seat.

Measure behind your seat and see how far you would want your seat up and still be comfortable driving.

Kicker makes pretty good amps for the money and the under rate them. Like the 750.1 amps are rated 750rms but really put out around 900rms watts.

ZBlaster
02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Could I get a sub in a sealed box to fit behind the seat?

I have a bench seat...maybe I should have mentioned that.

I was thinking like...maybe a bazooka tube and some good speakers behind the seat, some good door speakers and tweets on the pillars.

Ive come to learnt hat with audio equip. you get what you paid for.

Keep the replies coming guys, im taking notes and stuff for when I go hunting :D

Thanks,
Justin

On the box question, you can build one to fit wherever you need. Get creative to get airspace if you have to, its not as difficult as people play it off to be if your decent at woodworking. The RE SE's have a good shallow mounting depth, also the ED 13Kv.2 D4's would also be a good choice for a cheap, shallow mount sub that wont break the bank to push. If you go with something like that a say Kicker ZX300.1 would push it nicely, have great features, and a remote bass knob which is always convenient. Plus I cant stress enough good mids, and amplify them... the difference in sound is mind boggling. As I said earlier, any questions hit me up on AIM at TaylorRacinEX007

dpizz450
03-01-2008, 12:03 AM
your best bet is going to be to build your own box. like suggested above, 3/4" MDF. measure how much space you have behind your seat and how much you want your seat pulled forward and what not. then figure out a good speaker that will be able to meet the specs of the air space of the box your going to build. its not hard at all. my friend had two 10" speakers behind his single cab f-150 seat. but i think his seat was pulled all the way up. but anyways i like memphis speakers. its all ive ever used and there really quality, but some what expensive speakers. you cant go wrong with a set of kickers either though. good luck. let us know what you do.

TRX_450
03-01-2008, 08:15 AM
buy shallow mount rockford subs from onlinecarstereo.com and also your amp there an get your box from hifisoundconnection.com itll be the cheapest route of anything and its all top of the line stuff

ZBlaster
03-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by TRX_450
buy shallow mount rockford subs from onlinecarstereo.com and also your amp there an get your box from hifisoundconnection.com itll be the cheapest route of anything and its all top of the line stuff

I havent been too impressed with the shallow mount RF's, my buddy had them and they just didnt sound to my expectations. You dont necessarilly need to look for a shallow mount, there are plenty of great sounding subs out there with a small mounting depth that would work just as well.

416exfreak
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ZBlaster
On the box question, you can build one to fit wherever you need. Get creative to get airspace if you have to, its not as difficult as people play it off to be if your decent at woodworking. The RE SE's have a good shallow mounting depth, also the ED 13Kv.2 D4's would also be a good choice for a cheap, shallow mount sub that wont break the bank to push. If you go with something like that a say Kicker ZX300.1 would push it nicely, have great features, and a remote bass knob which is always convenient. Plus I cant stress enough good mids, and amplify them... the difference in sound is mind boggling. As I said earlier, any questions hit me up on AIM at TaylorRacinEX007

I'll hit you up either later tonight or sometime tomorrow. Im going to the mall right now. Gonna go watch a movie and see if I can make my girlfriend feel good enough to make me feel good:devil: