PDA

View Full Version : Crazy ideas for airbox mods.

Misfit400ex
02-28-2008, 11:02 PM
i was thinking about maybe making some holes just big enough to attach small oil-filter-like elements, or some other sort of pre-filter device, any thoughts on that? it might be a compltely useless crazy idea, but who knows? might just be the wave of the future! or maybe removing the plastic snorkle and getting some flexible rubber tubing the same size as the inlet to the airbox, and making a sort of ram-air setup with a hi-flow pre-filter running to the front side of the bike. cooler air, plus ram-air induction might be pretty nice.. am i crazy or does it sound feasable?

shadowwalker
02-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Your first idea has been done already

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webTypeId=177&webCatId=16&prodFamilyId=6786

Misfit400ex
03-01-2008, 12:33 AM
:( well at least that means im not totally crazy! it sucks when you come up with an idea you think is totally unique and original and find out its not. lol

wilkin250r
03-01-2008, 02:45 AM
You've got to be going pretty freaking fast for ram-air induction to be effective, and quads rarely see those types of speeds. Sure, on wide-open roads, yeah, but you're certainly not going to be barreling over whoops at 60mph.

Which adds the second issue, carburation. If you DID manage to make a useful ram-air setup, you would end up with problems from higher intake pressures. Your entire carburetor function requires that the intake pressure be lower than the surrounding air pressure. If that changes (i.e. you pressurize your intake) then your carb won't function properly. You'll get less fuel, and thus run the risk of serious engine damage.

Misfit400ex
03-01-2008, 12:42 PM
well i didnt mean ram-air in the same sense of a cars version, just a way to get air from infront of the quad, instead of from right above the engine, cooler air/fuel mix burns better. thats what i was trying to accomplish, not pressurized intake. make more sense now? i guess i coulda used better terms then "ram-air" but it was late and i wasnt thinking properly due to some tastey beverages. :D

John451
03-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I would jsut make an aluminum box and use the filter idea but instead of a prefilter it could be the main filter and put them in the back of the box. Then make a crown to go around it which even a tin can would work. Leaving like 1" arounnd each side of the filter. The aribox doesn't even need to be as big as they made it. It could just be a small box like 4"x4"x4" with a filter at the end. so in that case you would only need 2 2" holes or 1 4' hole in the back because thats all it used on the stock box. In that case there is minimal power added but it would take up less space. The idea of putting it in the back is there usually isnt that much dust being kicked up into there. The shraud would act as an airfoil and keep it from getting damaged and also it woud affect the airflow shape i would only let it exceed the legnth of the filter by like 2" tho.

wilkin250r
03-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Misfit400ex
well i didnt mean ram-air in the same sense of a cars version, just a way to get air from infront of the quad, instead of from right above the engine, cooler air/fuel mix burns better. thats what i was trying to accomplish, not pressurized intake. make more sense now? i guess i coulda used better terms then "ram-air" but it was late and i wasnt thinking properly due to some tastey beverages. :D

You never mentioned the type of quad this was on, but most quads do that already. Your plastic snorkel should be routed up just in front of the engine to pull fresh, cool air.