PDA

View Full Version : Fix for using a N/O Tether on the KFX450

chipworkz
02-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I just received my Pro Armor tether switch and after reading through all the forums, I have found out that no one has mentioned a way to use the Normally Open tether switch on a quad that requires a Normally Closed switch. If you want to use the Pro Design or Pro Armor it is possible and I will be putting up pics when I do mine. You only need a 2 dollar relay to convert your Normally Open switch into a Normally closed switch. You then can connect into your run / stop switch or the 12 supply on the key switch. Using the relay will "break the connection" so you are not grounding anything out like the normally open switches are designed to do. If you have had your front plastics off you know there are already several relays used on the KFX.
This application will work but I am not sure if there are any rules against this setup in the different racing organization that require tether switches.

I will give complete instructions when I can get time to do mine. I just wanted to let everyone know that wants to use a N/O brand tether that it is possible.

http://www.offroadtoybox.com/miscpics/330-070m.jpg

02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
The easiest way would be to just buy a normally closed switch and be done with it.

08kfx450r
02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
pretty sure he said for ppl who want a n/o one

spincr4hire
02-29-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm using a Pro Armor kill switch, but I have the Baldwin wiring harness also.

woodsZrider
02-29-2008, 06:10 PM
i'm running the baldwin switch also.....
that thing was so simple to install....

chipworkz
02-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I just looked at the Baldwin setup that you guys are talking about. Since you have it, you can correct me but it looks like they are just using a relay like I am talking about. That little black box looks like a relay to me. If it is a relay like the picture shows, you are spending a lot of money for them to pre-assemble the parts for you. There is nothing wrong with that, but someone that can do the work themselves can do it for about 1/4 the price.
Here is the link so everyone can see what I am talking about.
http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=24
That green wire would the ground side of the relay since the plug is suppling the 12v positive side to the coil in the relay.

predmxr05
02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
hey, this is perfect, my friend has a 450r with a pro design and we have been waiting for someone who knows what their doing. question though, where would we get a relay like that? pics when u are done would be greatly appreciated. thanks

chipworkz
02-29-2008, 10:24 PM
I will do a full walk through with pictures as soon as I get a chance. I am traveling a lot with work right now so I hope it should be within a couple of weeks.
As far as getting the relay, you should be able to buy them at most automotive stores.
I have never bought from here but here is one example of a place online.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&CAT_ID=35&ObjectGroup_ID=746&SO=2

I just threw this together to give everyone an idea of what the relay is doing.

http://www.offroadtoybox.com/miscpics/Relay.jpg

epinac18
03-06-2008, 08:11 AM
im running a pro armor kill switch on my kfx....all you have to do is ground one wire to the frame and splice the other into the blue wire coming off the coil.

chipworkz
03-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by epinac18
im running a pro armor kill switch on my kfx....all you have to do is ground one wire to the frame and splice the other into the blue wire coming off the coil.

I have seen people report that this can, and has, damaged their computer / CDI. Many posts have said you should not use the ground method but actually kill the power like the handle bar on / off switch does.
I haven't tried the ground method like you have so I can't say it doesn't work. I do however want to connect mine to simulate the existing on / off switch so I know for sure there will be no problems.