PDA

View Full Version : Big Gun Exhaust?

MyIce
11-05-2001, 07:43 AM
What is everyones opinion on this exhaust? Im seriously thinking about ordering it. It cost about 388 total with the whole pipe? Anyone else use this pipe?

moto93
11-05-2001, 08:37 AM
I have this pipe and really like it. What sold me is the fact that it's ceramic coated so it will never rust. I've had mine nearly two years and looks the same as the day I put it on. I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV for $340 delivered so you may want to check them out.

Hope this helps,

11-05-2001, 09:22 AM
I also have this pipe and got it from Rocky Mountain ATV. Its top quality, doesn't rust or discolor, sounds and looks great. And best of all, make your bike haul.

400exJOE
11-05-2001, 02:36 PM
not trying to put anyone down here, but Macrums quad shop called the big gun "just a pipe" and said it was hard to jet right too. I have a Supertrapp IDS2 silencer on my 400 and it works great. The stock 400 headers are really good so I dont recomend paying extra to get headers unless you have a modded engine.

11-05-2001, 02:41 PM
Everyone has an opinion, but I'd be surprised if many paeople that have the "Big Gun" don't like it. I know my buddies who don't have one wish they did since they can't keep up with me anymore.

canadian400ex
11-05-2001, 02:54 PM
I have the silencer only. I love it...I bought the jets but never even had to re-jet it. The plug looks great and there isn't a flat spot in the whole powerband.
400exjoe, as for the IDS2, i raced a guy yesterday who had the IDS2, k&n filter and had it jetted and I beat him in a straight line drag probably 6 or 7 times the whole way through.
The BIG GUN seems to really wake up the quad I love everything about it.:D

11-05-2001, 03:15 PM
Right on fellow EXer. You know, every since Dirt Wheels had its exhaust shoot-out, people seems embarrassed to admit what kind of pipe they have if its not one of the top 2 or 3.

Well, I didn't pay extra to get a spark arrester in my pipe and I doubt if many people that are looking for performance do. And since they didn't test the pipes without an arrester, for obvious legal reasons, the comparison is not real world.

Big Gun, good pipe.

11-05-2001, 04:14 PM
I also have a supertrappIDS2 and like it a lot. Good quality, power, and sound. I can beat the same setup as mine, only difference is that the guy has a mega max pipe. I just have a bit more power everywhere. Both of our bikes can beat a stock 400ex easily. But I am still faster. Something else, it is hard to pick up the front end on the mega max bike in 5th, mine does it much easier, but I guess not too many people do 5th gear catwalks.

I wonder how I would do against you in a drag race canadian400ex. I have a hard time believing that any other slip-one will give it much more power. Is yours jetted or stock? If pipes were just put on and ran, the supertrapp isn't much faster than stock. open the airbox a bit and put a bigger mj in and BAM! 1rst, 2nd and 3rd are explosive and rev out much quicker than stock. 4th and 5th mainly hold steady power better on hills, but still rev out better than stock.

Maybe sometime we can meet somewhere and go quading. I met freestyle_400ex(not even intentionally, just met met him at a track, out of the blue) yesterday in westchester, and he said something about you guys getting together sometime. He's a good jumper and was doing some neat stuff. That would be awesome if we all got together. Maybe in the spring, or even this fall still.

11-05-2001, 06:49 PM
I've got the complete big gun system and really like it also. Better than the rest? I dunno, or care, they all seem to provide better performance than stock. I put the quiet core and spark arrester on and it is a much quieter and deep sound but max power isn't much improved but with the compition core it really rips! Especially on the bottom end.:eek:

canadian400ex
11-05-2001, 09:37 PM
Wheeliedude, we definatley gotta get all of us together..you guys should think about coming down to the valley. On sunday we had 18 quads out together..it was awesome. The only quads that were not sports were a piped wolverine and an old timberwolf. We lined everybody up a couple of times for a pic to send into dirt wheels.
Yeah we'll have to line up if we get together, I don't know if the guy i raced on sunday had it jetted correctly or not but I definatley didn't expect to beat him(nor did i care if I beat him) He is happy with his ex and i'm happy with mine so that's really all that matters:cool: My bike has stock jetting, I didn't have to jet it..maybe when it cools of a little more i might.
You should seriously consider comming down, I don't think you'll be disappointed....later!

11-06-2001, 07:52 AM
HEY MYICE, I HAVE A BIG GUN RACE SERIES SLIP ON, BUT INSTEAD OF THE BIGGUN HEADER I GOT THE FMF POWERBOMB HEADER, IT HAS THE CHAMBER RIGHT IN THE MIFFLE OF THE HEADER, IT PRODUCES WAY MORE POWER THAN THE BIGGUN WHOLE EXHAUST, IM SELLING IT MY THE WAY FOR 300 FOR ALL LET ME KNOW, MOCAZEN@AOL.COM, I HAD TO THROW IT IN HERE, HAVE TO TRY YOU KNOW

FlyinRed
11-06-2001, 10:30 AM
BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! BIG GUN! Lookin the sig. for jetting. This thing hauls! Loud too! Get the whole exhaust though.

11-06-2001, 10:39 AM
SORRY BUT THE BIGGUN COMPLETE EXHAUST SUCKS, LOOK AT TEST THAT THEY HAVE DONE, THE POWERBOMB WITH THE BIGGUN WILL OUTRUN YOURS IF WE RUN BOTH BIKE STOCK WITH ONLY THE EXHAUST, THE POWERBOMB CHAMBER RIPS, ITS A PERFECT FIT

11-06-2001, 10:50 AM
Sorry guys I beg to differ,

I have owned a Big Gun before and hated it. I have owned many pipes for my EX and the Big Gun is the worst. The exhaust is great if you keep your Quad completely stock, but once you touch the motor, major flow restriction.

GT Thunder even did a dyno run to prove my point. I did notice a lot of Big Gun owners on this site have motor mods, well you are probably down 3-4 Horsepower!

If you don't believe me check out the GT Thunder website.

But if you keep your motor stock, then you should have no problems with the pipe.

11-06-2001, 01:58 PM
Yeah, maybe we could go down to the vally, I've always wanted to travel more around the provence. We'll have to set a time. Only bad thing is that I work mosr week-ends, and probably need a good day to go. I'll likely have time in the spring though. Should be fun :)

canadian400ex
11-06-2001, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I gotta try that twist throtle of yours! How do you like it? I was thinking about getting a twist cause I have had bikes my whole life...but before I buy one I want to try it out on an ex.

We'll meet up sometime and go crankin'!

11-06-2001, 04:27 PM
My advice would be spend some money and get a good exhaust such as a DMC alien. lots of low to midrange power with a strong pull on top.

MyIce
11-06-2001, 04:42 PM
What is the Gt thunders website? I just ordered the whole pipe for my ex. Hopefully it will be good...

bugmenot2
11-16-2006, 12:25 AM
in regards to big gun exhaust - this site says it all:

http://biggunexhaust-test.com

FlyinRed
11-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Your first post is to a 5 year old thread? :rolleyes:

My EX is long gone now. The head pipe burned up, the silencer stayed together cause there was no packing in it for most of its life. I will say that it lasted as long as the quad did, I beat the living dog piss outta the whole package. I wouldnt buy another. I'd go HMF, sturdy construction, good performance, always at the top of the list on any shootout.

250exkid
11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
lol wow 5 year old thread brought back to life! lol i woulda gone with sparks...... iv heard nothing but good!

atva_63
11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
That was big gun five years ago how is it now?

250exkid
11-19-2006, 03:35 PM
iv seen some horrible pics on how they hold up but i think they must be better:confused: