PDA

View Full Version : 400 EX won't start :(

cincy250R
02-28-2008, 05:42 PM
ok i was hoping you guys could help me out.....

what my quad is doing is when i push the start button the starter solenoid just clicks like it has a dead battery.... I have a BRAND NEW battery in it.... i hook a jumper box up to it just too see if the battery is bad still does the same thing.....

How do i tell if the Starter solenoid is bad????

How do i tell if the starter is bad???

Oh and if i have the ground on and i touch the starter side of the solenoid it doesn't do anything.....

I think the starter is junk it's original 8 years old but i would like too make sure before i spend 80 bucks

Thanks
-Dave

Lowcountrydave
02-28-2008, 05:58 PM
check that all connections are tight and not corroded, other than that it may have kicked the bucket

Unless there is something else that can go bad, I don't know that much about the workings of them yet.

Dave

BigBore24
02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Oh and if i have the ground on and i touch the starter side of the solenoid it doesn't do anything.....

not sure what you mean by that. but if you have a test light or volt meter. just make sure you have 12 volts on one of the large posts on the solenoid, then when you push the button make sure the other side gets 12 volts. if that checks out and you have already cleaned the grounds just make sure you have voltage to the starter and if you do you know its bad. but cant stress enough that you need to make sure all grounds are good. the starter doesnt have a seperate ground wire it grounds through the mounting bolts.

cincy250R
02-29-2008, 08:06 AM
o ok i have cleaned all the connections and i hooked up the jump box postive clamp straight too the power wire on the starter and put the other clamp on the starter case and it didn't do anyhting

thanks
-Dave

Phillburt57
02-29-2008, 10:52 AM
I had the same problem about a month ago. It just clicked so I went thorugh everything and all connections were good the solenoid was good and the starter was good. I just hooked the battery up to my trucks battery gave it a little juice from that and it fired right over.Sometimes when a battery dies completely a regular charge can't get it going so it needs a little boost. Try this and see what happens.