PDA

View Full Version : '04/'05 TRX 450r Reliability

KingpinsEx
02-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Just curious about peoples experience with these years motors. I have read the thread on the crank problems many have experienced with them, but I am looking for other opinions. Basically would anyone recommend buying these year models for racing motocross? Not looking to highly modifiy it, at least not right away just looking for a reliable machine.

Chillyboarder
02-29-2008, 05:24 PM
wow how is that possible, that seems more often then a 2 stroke...this being 4

tank69
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
That's BS about every 20 hours.

I have an 05 that I desert race, but I am beyond anal about maintenance.
After every ride, it gets a cleaned/oil air filter

After every race (80-300 miles), oil in both tranny and engine, new filter and check/adjust valve clearance.

After every 2-3 rides (50-150) miles, oil in engine only, no filter change.

I have well over 1000 race miles on my Honda and I have yet to change a piston or anything else for that matter. My TRX has an HRC cam, re-jetted and a Sparks full exhaust, that's it.
The crank problem was only on early model 05's, but I could be wrong. Oh yeah, I have not had any crank issues after all the mileage and racing on my TRX.

If you aren't into performing routine and frequent maintenance, don't get one.

tank69
03-03-2008, 08:34 PM
That's BS about every 20 hours.

I have an 05 that I desert race, but I am beyond anal about maintenance.
After every ride, it gets a cleaned/oil air filter

After every race (80-300 miles), oil in both tranny and engine, new filter and check/adjust valve clearance.

After every 2-3 rides (50-150) miles, oil in engine only, no filter change.

I have well over 1000 race miles on my Honda and I have yet to change a piston or anything else for that matter. My TRX has an HRC cam, re-jetted and a Sparks full exhaust, that's it.
The crank problem was only on early model 05's, but I could be wrong. Oh yeah, I have not had any crank issues after all the mileage and racing on my TRX.

If you aren't into performing routine and frequent maintenance, don't get one.

the Z Man
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't believe you have to be anal about maintenance, I raced the crap out of mine with only oil changes and filter cleaning, (stock filter)
The only issue I had was intake valves, and that was after about 250 hours.

tank69
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by the Z Man
I don't believe you have to be anal about maintenance, I raced the crap out of mine with only oil changes and filter cleaning, (stock filter)
The only issue I had was intake valves, and that was after about 250 hours.

OK, let me rephrase it...PREVENTATIVE maintenance. Read what I just said above, if you choose to do the maintenance, you'll be fine, if you don't maintain the quad, you'll regret it. It's not like the old days when you could put oil in it and ride it for six months and never do a thing.

TTracer357
03-04-2008, 06:51 AM
The only problem I had Is a dropped intake valve my dumb fault over reving with a big cam and ****ty stock valve. Run the CRF450 Valves in the intake, change the oil you should be good!

the Z Man
03-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Are the crf valves stronger???

TTracer357
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Yes very They are titanium Just the Intake Valves They fit right in too its a must........Given you all my secrets haha!

the Z Man
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm on a low low budget, I need all the help I can get, thank you!

tank69
03-04-2008, 04:13 PM
If you run titanium valves, be prepared to replace them more often. Run stainless valves, they are not as hard on the seats. While you lose about .003 HP, you will gain 10 fold that in reliability. Yes, the titanium is lighter and does produce some more HP, but for longevity, stainless valves are the way to go. Let's face it, there isn't one person on this board that can tell if they have one more or one less horsepower.

Many of the CRF guys are ditching the titanium valves as well. STAY AWAY FROM Ti.

pro-rider46
03-04-2008, 04:32 PM
the late 04s and early 05s have bearing problems, if you still can get a 05 leftover your probably ok, the 450rs are ok machines if you take care of them, i change my oil every month regardless of how little i ride, and the filter every two months, a lot of people change the oil about every week or ride but isnt nessesary, and expensive,

as for the valves, the ss valves are better, because ti wears quick, and i always hear guys replacing the ti vavles with ss. im going to be putting kibblewhite ss vavles in my quad when i rebuild it.

tank69
03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
im going to be putting kibblewhite ss vavles in my quad when i rebuild it.

Kibblewhites...here's a guy that knows what's going on! :cool:

TTracer357
03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
But really they only wear if they take dirt Which can be saved by preventative maintenance. I dont run an airbox (TT RACING) and mine never wear KEEP THAT FILTER CLEANED AND OILED!!!!!

zracer16
03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I also run Kibble White SS valves in my race quad. You can't beat'em for the price.

pro-rider46
03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
im also going to be running ferrea superflo intakes, and +1mm kibblewites for the exhaust. either way its going to be ss and reliable, and should flow like a mofo.

KingpinsEx
03-07-2008, 08:49 AM
I contacted my local honda dealer to hear what kind of maintaince issues they have seen with them. I asked about the crank and they said they have prolly only sold a handful of cranks. And as far as replacing them they said they have only had a few. Granted most people who race in my area do their own maintaince work, but still they would have to buy the cranks if they where going bad. He had not heard anything about them being bad or having a defect and said if you do your regular maintaince they should hold up pretty well. Even though with racing rebuild's are a given pretty much yearly. Any thoughts comments?

tank69
03-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
I contacted my local honda dealer to hear what kind of maintaince issues they have seen with them. I asked about the crank and they said they have prolly only sold a handful of cranks. And as far as replacing them they said they have only had a few. Granted most people who race in my area do their own maintaince work, but still they would have to buy the cranks if they where going bad. He had not heard anything about them being bad or having a defect and said if you do your regular maintaince they should hold up pretty well. Even though with racing rebuild's are a given pretty much yearly. Any thoughts comments?

First off, take what any dealer says with a grain of salt. How would the number of cranks sold by a particular dealer give anyone insight on how often a crank problem occurs? Did he check every dealer in the US and base his info off that? The majority of people I know that do rebuilds, including myself, don't go to a dealer to get their parts. You can buy Honda parts online at a much cheaper price than any dealer and usually have your parts much faster. Your dealer is feeding you a line of BS.

There is/was a known problem on the 04/some 05 450s with crank failures. If there wasn't, why did they change the crank bearings and oil channels in late 04/early 05? Some quads had problems, some didn't, luck of the draw IMHO.

Pretty much agree with routin/regular maintenance. A $5 bottle of oil and a $3 oil filter every few rides is a good insurance policy against a crank failure which will cost you over $500. That's a no brainer to me, but it seems to fall on deaf ears to some.

Tank