ATV Z88
02-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi everyone, first time i post in the yfz section :D

i might be able to get an hand on a used yfz 450 2006

i would like to know if its a good quad,

strengh and weaknesses

how does it compare to the 07-08 model?

how much should I expect to pay for it

I do mx and trail so i might consider buying a-arms and shocks...

ps: i want it to buy a 08 ltr in april but i could really get a good deal on the yfz.....

dont know what to do...

thx a lot

:p

#17YFZRACER
02-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Id go for the YFZ if i were you but its up to you. i love mine. if you get the 06 get the oil mod done. its an oil port that coats the bottom of the piston, really helps built motors+stock ones. the 07+ have it from the factory. i like the yfz's power delivery compared to the ltr. the yfz builds its power faster which helps coming out of corners mostly if you have a jump you need to clear right as your getting out of the corner. the ltr fells sluggish to me. other than that your safe with the 06, and dont be afraid to tune a carb its not bad. id rather have that than the efi systems out right now.

ATV Z88
02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
oil port

is this something you have to buy?
any link?

by tuning the carb you mean if i use an aftermarket exhaust?

also

how much could i expect to pay for a 2006

thx

#17YFZRACER
02-28-2008, 06:01 PM
id pay around $4000(us). as far as the oil port any shop should be able to put it in, not to much $. for carb tuning i mean if you mod it (exhaust, filter, cam and the like) better to buy a 10 cent jet than a $250 efi controller:D

ATV Z88
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
you paid 4000$ for a used 07 ?

about the filter, do you guys put a simple uni filter or *the big kit*

#17YFZRACER
02-28-2008, 06:09 PM
no, i payed 7000 for mine. id pay 4000 for yours. most of us use a paper filter like the k&n and a pre-filter over it with the air box lid off.

ATV Z88
02-28-2008, 06:11 PM
2006 yfz 450 sells around 4000$

thx

id better get a k&n filter with a pre-filter than a uni filter?

#17YFZRACER
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
id get a fuel customs intake and put a pre-filter on that

250r4life
02-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
better to buy a 10 cent jet than a $250 efi controller:D

clearly you've never jetted your bike and are just reiterating what others have written...

i dont know where youre buying jets for 10 cents, but every where i buy them theyre over $5 each... and considering do dial in your bike you need several different sized jets and theyre several different jets, it costs a little bit...

now that being said i will say i prefer the carb as well...

ATV Z88
02-29-2008, 10:04 AM

can you give me some feedback on the 06 yfz

thx in advance

cbrooks118
02-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I would not do the Oil port for everyday riding. Maybe those that race and have heavily modded engines need this, but not everyone.

Keep in mind alot of people on this website are avid racers and their machines will take 10x more abuse than you or I (I assume) will ever do.

I bought my 06' six months ago for $4900, but it had $750 worth of aftermarket rims (ITP t9s for dirt, and douglas 190's PC black for paddles), holeshots, and skat track paddles all the way around. $500 exhaust and $250 nerfs, and the $80 pro flow kit on it already. I did the cam mod and spent some time jetting, now i am happier than Micheal Jackson in a daycare. I would be willing to bet that anywhere in the ballpark of $3500-3800 for a near stock one would sound about right.

I have ridden 04's and 05's, and they are all in par to the 06's and 07's i have ridden. The 06 and up have a longer stroke and are 449cc instead of 439cc like the 04 and 05, however did i notice a huge power difference? No.....Keep in mind I ride trails and dunes and have not raced since I was a kid. Now i just keep it lubed and the oil changed and it has been great to me. I have put about 40hrs on it over the six months and have not had any problems

My advice on the air filter comes to personal preference. I use a K&N with an outerwear, lid off and i use a tiny bit of grease in the boot of the carb to catch any sand that the K&N lets by. I have ot seen any in there yet, but peoples stories scare me, so i do that little bit extra preventative just in case.

The YFZ and almost all other 450s from the big companies are all great bikes in my opinion and i would not be ashamed to own anyone of them, just because i have a passion to ride.

stic
02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
1st off.
do the oil upgrade.no matter what type of riding you do.yamaha's splash design on the 04-06 yfz's left a lot to be desired.so much in fact that they did change the design in 07.the oil(or lack thereof) doesnt lube the wristpin properly and that leads to failure.not all yfz's are prone to this problem and noone knows why.
www.jtatv.com
get the kit for 200.its good insurance.or spend a good grand if it decideds to go.
weak axle splines is another problem on the 06's.seems the the splines on the sprocket side will break off leaving the circlip(that holds the sprocket on)room to slip off.
theres 2 bolts that hold the starter gear on that apparently the guy in the factory forgot to tighten.check those.
i stole mine for 3700.its got less than 20 hrs on it.the deals are out there.just gotta be patient.
yfzcentral has some good info.go there.

250r4life
02-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ATV Z88

can you give me some feedback on the 06 yfz

thx in advance

i think the YFZ is the best bike out there... my 250r was my baby, and when i bought my YFZ at the end of 06, i could have chosen the 450r or LTR...

however, my decision was then as it would be if i was in the same boat today- i would go with the YFZ... even with the KFX, DS, and other 450s that have come out since...

stic
02-29-2008, 07:25 PM
dont get me wrong...i love this bike.just do some preventive maintenence on it.you can get a geforce axle for 200 from rockymountainatv.
if your into mx only,do the cam mod and the clutch mod.and hold on.
if you do more xc,id leave the timing and clutch just the way they are.the bike tends to stall more on the trails with the mods listed.
these bikes are way choked from the factory.yamaha expects you to remove the baffle,airbox lid and do the cam mod.they cannot sell it like that due to epa regulations.
also,pick up a gt thunder jet kit when you do remove the baffle and the lid for 35$.comes with the 170main,50 pilot,50leak and the adjustable needle.that is a must.

#17YFZRACER
02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
clearly you've never jetted your bike and are just reiterating what others have written...

dude, F off. CLEARLY you are a dick. i re-jet my bike alot. and i get my 10 cent jets at jms performance because im an intern(and do alot more complicated stuff than re-jet carbs) there and the owner hooks me up they might not be 10 cents but they are less than a $1. ive noticed you like to eat people up whenever you can on here, dont just assume you know everything.

ATV Z88
03-01-2008, 09:20 AM
calm down guys :D

yea i want to put my bike mostly for mx even if i do trail riding...

i thought about the g force axle, its sure i get one

as for the other stuff

exhaust- curtis spark, good choice?

i would like to go long travel for the front end, probably sure i will buy a used frontend

if i put a curtis and remove the lid and put a filter kit, i will have to rejet ? should i buy the gt thunder kit?

whats the cam mod and clutch mod?

thx guys

#17YFZRACER
03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
sorry, i had to say it. dont want to ruin your thread. as for your Q's if you put a curtis on and take the air box lid off you need to re-jet around a 170ish main jet and a 48 or 50 pilot jet. just play with it and find what works. the cam mod is just a cam adjustment you retard the exhaust cam one tooth

06YFZ450SE
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Get the YFZ450 I got mine at the end of 06. I have checked the 2 bolts that losing and they was tight. The only Problem I had was that it was jetted to Lean from the Factory.Since the jetting problem I have not had any problems out of it and I have a good 70 hours on it. I race MX a little and I trail ride and I have nt had any problem with oiling. I change my oil/oil filter every 10-15 hours.

It runs great and I wouldnt pick any other quad..

Here is my mods. Dr,D Exhaust,Cam Mod,Lid Off,UNI Filter,Jetted,Air/fuel screw,Boysen quick shot,Power Now's.15 Tooth front sprocket.

250r4life
03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
dude, F off. CLEARLY you are a dick. i re-jet my bike alot. and i get my 10 cent jets at jms performance because im an intern(and do alot more complicated stuff than re-jet carbs) there and the owner hooks me up they might not be 10 cents but they are less than a $1. ive noticed you like to eat people up whenever you can on here, dont just assume you know everything.

i never said i knew everything- just saying that you didnt...

and the only people i eat up are those who lie and are full of shiz... "you eat pieces of shiz for breakfast?" :D

i just call out BS when i see it...

#17YFZRACER
03-03-2008, 04:44 PM
well you DIDNT see any, im not even close to being a poser.:mad: i know alot about this stuff. i dont know what your trying to prove though:confused:

stic
03-03-2008, 08:25 PM
"you eat pieces of shiz for breakfast?"
thats original.
i finally finished reading your sig.
i used to own stuff too but i dont list it.
i know noone cares.