PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Airbox

Rides'em_hard
02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Well this could be a two part problem. Will start from the begining.

About 2 weeks ago, I had my 2001 honda 400ex out on about a 2 hour ride. Nothing overly hard about the ride / little road / little mudd / little snow. I noticed when I was taking it down the road 3rd , 4th , 5th gear just didnt seem to have any power. It would go into the gears fine it just would'nt pick up speed, it would bogg and i would have to drop down a gear.

After searching on the net a little, I decided to rebuild my carb. I did and no change to the bogging problem. I even readjusted the idle / fuel mix screws to where it idles smoothly. Didnt help the bogging issue at all.

Would love if one of you had a hint on what to do about the bogging.

Part #2) After adjusting the idle and fuel mix, I thought I would clean out the air filter while I was working it. I normally clean my air filter after every other ride. I opend the air box and there was about 1/10 a quart of oil in it. Soaked thru the foam filter and laying in the bottom of the box. The oil was fresh as in it just got there as i was adjusting the carb.

Only thing I can guess is that its coming from the engine breather hose. But WHY is my question. I changed my oil about 6 rides ago ( 2months maybe ) and changed the oil filter then. I rode it all those times and never found any oil in the air box after all those rides.

Would LOVE some help with both of these problems mainly the bogging. I dont know if the two are related because the bogging started weeks before the oil in the box did.

HELP PLEASE!
oh PS: my user name is awesome :p
rides'em_hard

400ex28
02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Check and make sure you didn't put too much oil in the engine.