PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to split cases?

Evan
11-19-2002, 02:35 PM
How hard is it to split the cases on the 400EX ?? I am wondering if I should do it or let my honda shop do it. I have a service manual, and am fairly knowledgeable about motors. Do I need any special tools. If any of you have done this please reply. Thanks

UglyMotha™
11-19-2002, 02:46 PM
just like spliting wood with a nice wedge i suspect about 15 secs to split it into 2 nice halves

NTPRacing#19
11-19-2002, 04:51 PM
it might be complicated

KAWSAM62
11-20-2002, 07:31 AM
IF YOU HAVE THE MANUAL READ IT THE ANSWER IS ALL THERE IF YOU NEED SPECIAL TOOLS THEY WILL TELL YOU HOPE THIS HELPS:cool:

dhines
11-20-2002, 07:39 AM
Actually, just splitting the cases is not too bad. Once you get inside you had better keep everything organized though. All of those gears, forks, spacers, etc can get tricky to put back together. The best thing is to make sure that you keep your tranny all in one piece if you need to pull it out.

In my opinion, the toughest part of splitting the cases is getting the top end and side cases (stator, clutch, oil pump, etc) off. Once you get down to breaking apart the cases it really isn't all that bad.

As with most projects like this having the right tools is CRITICAL to making things go smoothly.

Best,

Dennis

oynot400
11-20-2002, 09:15 AM
I did mine a couple weeks ago. Not too bad of a job at all. Have a manual to refer to and a friend to help. Make sure you have the engine sitting on the flywheel side. That is were the trany sits.
Another hint is to make a square frame out of 2x4's to let the engine sit in. That or a 5 gallon bucket works but not the most stable. :eek:
Why are you splitting it?

Evan
11-20-2002, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Im splitting it becuz I need to clean the bottom end out. I need to have the cases vatted or something to get the metal chips of my sleeve out of there. My sleeve exploded into a million tiny peices and I need to clean it out. I dont think I would need to tear the tranny apart since all Im doing is cleaning it. But a guy I know that works for Honda says he can do it on the side for 200$ does this seem reasonable, if not I may do it myself.

oynot400
11-20-2002, 01:50 PM
If you got metal pieces floating around in there I would suggest letting that guy take it all the way down. Getting the crank out and back in can be kind of tricky. We used a hydraulic press to take it out and rigged up some spacers to put it back together. If you don't have all the tools and are thinking it may be over your head then I would say $200 would be fair. :confused: I would be up to you.

11-20-2002, 01:53 PM
personally i would bring it in. You do not want to screw anything up but then again u dont know how good of a job they do at the shops

Chris400extreme
11-21-2002, 07:35 PM
when my sleeve shatered on me (my 416 bore engine) I DID IT ALL MY SELF AND IT WASNT TO BAD. THE TRANY DRUM AND FORKS CAN ALL BE TAKEN OUT IN ON EPIECE IF OY DO IT CAREFULLY. TAKING THE CRANK OUT IS EASY WITH A PRESS, BUT WITH THE RIGHT TRICK, PUTTING IT BACK INIS EVEN EASIER. JUST PUT THE CRANK ASSEMBLY IN THE FREEZER FOR A DAY AND THEN HEAT THE CASE HALVE UP WITH A HAIR DRYER OR HEAT GUN. BUT NIOT TO HOT. THEN JUST SIT THE CRANK ASSEMBLY BACK IN. NO PROB AT ALL. NEED ANY HELP OR QUESTIONS DONT HESITATE TO ASK ME OR SOMETHING.

kicken250x
11-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Well its really good to know that Im not the only one that has had their sleeve shatter on them! It sucks that it happend though... Mine did it last wed. Just got the motor out this afternoon (to lazy to do it befor now lol) and I guess Im gonna split my cases this weekend cause it needs cleanin out bad. What kind of RPM were yall turining when it desided screw up? mine was at idle so it didnt screw it up too bad... But it still got it pretty friggin good.... Oh well it was gonna happen sooner or later. Later...