PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Questions

Ridiculous
02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
i'm thinking about buying a 300ex for my girlfriend mainly because its more affordable for me.

i'm just wondering about em. i've never been around them much. all i've ever dealt with is my 400ex.

so are the 300ex's as reliable as my 400ex seems to be?
how's the power, is it enough to pull my 200 lb *** around?
is it a good trail machine? since that's all we'll be riding.

that's all i can think of for now, feel free to throw in other tid bits as well!

dirtbike&quad
02-27-2008, 08:29 PM
plenty of power for haulin your *** around the trails. i know people your weight with them, not a problem. i ride in a group with 400s and 300s and us 300s keep up just fine...reliability wise, its a honda. come on now ;)

JBENSON
02-28-2008, 06:36 AM
I raced a 300ex for 2 years, they are a tough quad. They have decent power, dont expect it to run with a 400ex but it has plenty for trail riding.

smr
02-28-2008, 08:37 AM
we own 3 300ex's. (two are my sons race quads and the other is my wife's ride)

Here is my take.

if you keep the motor stock they are one of the most reliable motors ever made. (even better than the 400ex) Just like the 400ex if you start adding upgrades then you sacrifice reliablelity.

Regular_Joe
02-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I'd go for a new 2007+ 250ex with the sportclutch. Its semi-auto, but still has the clutch there if you want it. Honestly I got one for my fiancee' and its the best thing we ever did. I use any excuse to take it. I rail around on the trails on it and its a blast. I plan on getting one for me after the wedding. All the fun of a standard, without actually having to deal with the clutch if you don't want to. I know a kid who's dad owns a Honda dealership and he recommended it. He said of all the machines there, thats the one he'd pick for a weekend trail ride. Plus its the easiest quad to wheelie I've ever been on. Way easier than my 400ex was. I can ride wheelies on it till I run out of room. I haven't been able to do that on any other quad before.

RideRed84
02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
I have to agree, I bought my girlfriend an 03 250ex and she loves it. My nephew is 16 and weighs around 160ish and has a blast on it as well, we ride some rough trails. I weigh a little more than you and I like to mess around with it around the house. In fact I usually tool around with it in the snow and leave the 400 in the garage because it's easier to ride and more fun for smaller areas. I would at least look at the 250, they are pretty cheap too, I picked mine up for $1700 in great shape.

wilkin250r
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
The 250EX would probably be easier for her to learn with the sport clutch. It's a great little quad.

The only drawback with the 250EX is that you can't upgrade it. The 300EX is easily upgradable to something that has more power and handles better than a stock 400EX (of course, it costs $$$).

The 250EX, on the other hand, has almost no potential at all. I think there are one or two bore kits out, and they aren't anything major. Like I said, it's a great little quad, as long as you're satisfied with it as is, because it ain't ever going to be faster.

dirtbike&quad
02-28-2008, 03:44 PM
no no no! do NOT get a new 250ex. trust me. 2 of my friends have them. they're night and day compared to the 300ex. theyre slow, tip hella easy, and are expensive to upgrade.

raptor 250
02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
yes , the 300ex is a real dependable machine and has good power. iv'e got a buddy thats well up on these bikes and heard it from the horses mouth so too speak. the 250 is nice also!

raptor 250
02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
lets not forget this is for a young lady!

02-28-2008, 04:23 PM
raptor 250 imo but their really small

Regular_Joe
02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
theyre slow, tip hella easy, and are expensive to upgrade.

Slow? How fast do you think his woman is going to be going on trails? When I take it, most trails I am on, I'm riding a fast 2nd gear or slow 3rd gear. It is plenty fast for what its intended to do. The only time I might want it faster is on a road (big no no anyway).

Tippy? I don't think so at all. Its very stable. Compared to a 300ex the specs are almost identical. No way can you call it a tippy quad, thats just not true. I have never heard anyone consider it a tippy quad.

Upgrade? Again why? What can't this quad do for his girlfriend. If she's like mine she doesn't care about performance. A 300ex is the same as a 450R to her.

My girl just wants a fun simple quad to ride on. Get her something like a 300ex thats standard and the clutch work might be the deal breaker. Get a 4x4 and just the shear weight and heavy steering might be the deal breaker. Overall if there is one thing thats a deal breaker on the quad, the truth is she just isn't going to like it. And if she doesn't like it, she won't ride it. And if she isn't riding, she isn't going to be happy..... and well you know what that means.

Just something to note. The 250ex is shaft drive. That equals no chain maintenance and a very high ground clearance compared to chain drive ATVs.

dirtbike&quad
02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
i might've read his original post wrong. i thought he was getting rid of the 400 to buy a 300 so that he and his gf could ride that. my mistake. id get her a rappy 250. same size as the 250ex but has the power of a 300 and can still haul you around when you wanna have fun on it

m.h.s.c.#527
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
i race xc on a 250 and im 165 and 6'2 dont get me wrong as soon as im 16 and allowed to race a 450 i will but i think shed like the 250

Ridiculous
02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
well everyone, i got her a 300ex, bought it from a private owner. the thing just starts right off and seems real reliable. and AWESOME power, what a wheelie machine.

but thanks guys for helpin with the decision, sure hope i don't regret it. now we have a his and hers, how cute:p