PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP....blue smoke from 400ex...HELP!!

mxblasterw
02-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey guys, listen I jus bought this nice 2003 400ex.Recently its been blowing a lot of blue smoke when im riding. I know this could be rings but could it be something else? And if it is the rings should I get the cylinder re-bored or jus re-honed. The quad doesn't have that many hours on it! (Supposedly) and how much do you think it costs for someone to do this rebuild for me...or should I do it myself?....how many hours of work and money am I looking at here? Please help!! it's a shame cuz the thing runs smooth and still has a lot of power compared to my other 400ex that i have. but this one jus blows a lot of blue smoke when riding thru rpm's

drew416ex
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Valve seals also contribute to smoke when the are worn but as much as you are describing is probably both. I would get it bored maybe to a 406 unless you want something a little larger. Just honing it wont last very long depending on how bad the cylinder is worn. You could get it done your self for $200 or less. If you take it somewhere, it would probably be between $300-$500. Take it to someone if you dont feel comfortable with it. Its not hard but to some its intimidating.

UNBROKEN
02-28-2008, 01:22 PM
hey man i also have a 03 that i bought and was burning oil, mine was burning oil when hot to, if it does that then it will probaly need rings and rebored cylender , im getting that done now