PDA

View Full Version : help buying a 250r

YAMERNA
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
im shure theres simular threads but any ways im going to go look at a modified 1987 250r it looks realy clean and well maintained but was waundering what things i should be looking for the guys asking 3,500

:p

312R1
02-27-2008, 07:59 PM
What are the mods? For that price you can find an aftermarket framed R.

Fordtrax
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Or for a few hundred dollars more and a road trip you could buy this !lol

tg413
02-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Thats a nice looking machine..Whats done to it?I see a bunch of goodies just from the pic, if it runs good and is in overall good shape with lot's of aftermarket i'd jump all over it......Around here people are getting $3-3500 for clapped out pieces of $hit.....I'd love to buy an aftermarket framed 250r for that price thats actually in decent shape.......Just check it out good for cracks in the frame, figure in a topend even if they tell you it's fresh just to be safe until you can put a compression tester on it...You are going to like the 250R , ALOT.......

beobe99
02-28-2008, 12:44 PM
In My opinion its a fair asking price from what I see in the pics.

If you have a compression checking gauge Id bring it along. If not your Local Pep Boys sells them for around $30. youll want it to have around 170 compression from what Ive seen (check other threads on "how to check compression")

If you dont have the guage and wont buy one dont worry.
Before you head out there ask the guy NOT to start it untill you get there because you would like to see it cold start with choke.

(Yes when i was younger and was selling my clapped out dirt bikes I would run them hot as hell so it would start easy for the guy checking it out... I was a kid what can I say)

Check the frame for cracks / bends. usualy around the pegs, motor mounts, or around the steering stem. also check for welds... major ones Id worry about. Or shtty ones.

Check the engine for leaks or cracks. Check for case damage around the front sprocket.

Bring a friend or have dude lift the back end up and you shake the axle to check if the bearings are solid.. do the same for the front wheel bearings.

If all checks out offer $3000 cash right then and there and see how he reacts. worst case he doesnt budge and you paid exactly what its worth in my opinion.

If some things DON'T check out and your still diggin the bike you now have ammo to talk him down. Just dont be a jerk about it like "well it needs this, this, this, and that, and that I'll give you 2k"
Just honestly guess what it would cost to get it to MINT and drop that amount.

Good luck, and post pics if you get it.

kiesta00
02-28-2008, 10:03 PM
That bike looks damn nice, I'd be all over that. It looks like it has aftermarket goodies, and that's at LOT of $$$ you'd be spending fixing or replacing stock parts for better ones. Go ride it, and if it makes you smile from ear to ear, buy it!

Is this your first 250r?