PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Used 450r

KingpinsEx
02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I have recently comtemplated purchasing a used 450r to build into a mx bike. With all the new bikes coming out it is a hard decidison, but I have always been loyal to honda power and their reliability. However I have been reading through the threads and discovered the thread on the crank failures. This is about the only major mechanical problem I have come across reading with the honda.

So my question is this, should I just steer away from 450rs or just certain years or certain quads? Or is this a not if but when question? I'm a pretty decent mechanic and am not afraid to do some repair's, along with the steady maintenance that high-performance bikes require. However I don't want to be getting into frequent rebuilds, as I don't have that kind of money to spend. Any input would be appreciated...

02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
04 and 05 have the crank problems not the 06 and up.

Ogener
02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Alot of the 04 and 05 450rs that I have seen for sale already have the crank fixed. so I guess that could be something you can look for If your looking at one.

blacknblue#2
02-28-2008, 03:55 AM
If your gonna build an MX quad i say look for an 06+ 450R. They are a completely different engine from the 04 and 05. Get an 06+ do some head work, valve work, a good piston and a good cam and you can be very competitive. With the 06 you seem to have a fairly proven bottom end to hold some power and one of the best carbs you could have to start with.

NJ450rider
02-28-2008, 09:09 AM
The crank deal isnt a one time thing. It will keep happening and most 04/05 R's should have a new crank put in at least once a year as routine maintenance. also there are many cases of 06 and up 450r's throwing cranks as well. Even crf450 dirtbikes occasionally throw cranks. There is no "safe" 450R engine unless you never ride it. also 06 and up 450r's can also have transmission failures once higher hp levels are made. 04/05 engines are more reliable at higher hp numbers and more consistant wth big hp numbers.

Alot of people switch to 04/05 front end because of better handling/steering characteristics. particarlly 06 and up spindles have more bumpsteer/pushing than 04/05 spindles. A few aftermarkert front ends you need 04/05 spindles because they dont make seprerate a arms for 06 and up spindles. One company that makes a arms for both differences is Houser.

My advice to you is to look into something else if you dont want to do a rebuild once a year. I plan on getting another brand 450 next year. Im tired of fixing my 450r all the time.

These are my top choices:

KTM450XC(or 450mx when its released )
Can Am Ds450
Kawi KFX450R
Polaris MXR450

KingpinsEx
02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Whats the usual cost of having the bottom end redone? Also what are the chances of damage to other parts of the engine? Sounds like it could get real expensive real quick...

I'm looking mainly for reliablity not big HP so that's why I was looking at the older 04/05 models. Im far from a pro and would prolly run a near stock motor setup, coming from a 400ex a piped 450r has plenty of pep for me. The other reason I would like an older model is $$$.

My whole idea of building a race bike was to buy a decent shape, close to stock, 04/05 so that I would have more money to put into suspension setup. If i go with an 06 + thats gonna get real expensive, real quick and will not leave me with much money to mod it. But if the newer models arent having the crank problems it would be worth it in the long run...

mx1791
02-28-2008, 04:48 PM
450r frames are garbage.. thats another thing to think about before you buy a 450r

NJ450rider
02-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Thats the only thing that hasnt let me down yet! My frame has a few stress cracks but i dont have any major ones to where it needs serious repair. If you want to get an 04/05 450r the best thing is definatly to find one close to stock never modded and adult owned.

KingpinsEx
03-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Whats the typical cost on the bottom end rebuild? For parts that is...