PDA

View Full Version : 400ex engine problem

big400boy
02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
i am painting my frame and ect. and when i took out my engine i noticed that there is a cracked, and bulged area on the head and im not exactly smart when it comes to these things and need to know what is wrong if any one knows. im posting pictures, thanks.

big400boy
02-27-2008, 06:31 PM
another picture

400thacker
02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
well one good thing is that it's your rocker cover and not your head itself. you need to take that cover off and observe it from the other side. was the engine running like this? did you buy it new? it is possible that someone has put this cover on this engine and there is nothing wrong internally. you need to inspect your cam and rockers on the inside of that cover and see what done it. if i am looking at it right it looks like a rocker arm cam up and hit it really hard. take the cover off and post a pic. if you want to call me you can
606-836-0057
i will try to help you as best I can. i have another rocker cover if you need it. i am thinking that maybe a pieve oc metal got caught in there between your cam and the rocker causing to rise more than it's supposed to? really need to check out the bottom of it.
thanks Dan
btw, call anytime. send me your number and i will call you if you want, i have free long distance.

400thacker
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
i just looked at that extra rocker cover and there isn't a rocker on the bottom side of where your's is racked. you have had to have a loose bolt or something come up and hit it. I would suggest pulling the side covers and cleaning the inside of the engine and going around on the inside with a magnet. that should get any loose debris out. if you call and get no answer just pm me. i have dial up internet.

250exkid
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
wow u should deffinatlly get it checked out! atleast put some JB weld on it

JOEX
02-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Could be just casting flaws but definately investigate further.

big400boy
02-28-2008, 06:23 PM
well i took the cover off and when i bought the machine used it had been rebuilt cus it was run without oil and a rocker had brok i believe and been smashed intot he cover. i dont think it leaks but who ever it was who had an extra one give me a price adn ill let you know if ill buy it or just slap some jb weld on it thanks.

400thacker
02-28-2008, 06:45 PM
i had 2 rocker covers when i rebuilt my engine and i picked the most discolored to use on it becuase i painted the whole engine. here is the one that i didn't use. you will need to use your caps but it's in great shape. i am sending you a pm

400exrider707
02-28-2008, 07:41 PM
If it's running fine, and it's not leaking... what are you worried about? If something was wrong under there, you would probably already know...

big400boy
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
yeah idk i jsut saw a huge dented area and freaked haha. but its all good so w/e.

REDRIDDER
02-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Could be just casting flaws but definately investigate further. x2 ..ive seen some other rocker covers that looked like this but they were only casting flaws

atvhonda-rider
02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
hey, when it comes to whats important.. sometimes its better to be safe than sorry

JOEX
02-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by atvhonda-rider
hey, when it comes to whats important.. sometimes its better to be safe than sorry
Very true;)

Originally posted by REDRIDDER
x2 ..ive seen some other rocker covers that looked like this but they were only casting flaws
Since he said a rocker broke I no longer think it's a casting flaw:(

Originally posted by 400exrider707
If it's running fine, and it's not leaking... what are you worried about? If something was wrong under there, you would probably already know...
Since the rocker assembly is attached to the valve cover i'd want to look at it very closely to make sure nothing is out of alignment.

It may be fine for awhile but once something is damaged, further damage may be very likely. And when it comes to that part of the motor i'd take atvhonda-rider's advice:)