View Full Version : Adjusting tie rods help please

shanet1975
02-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Just bought a used 2000 400ex and the steering is a bit off. Both wheels face right a little bit when the handlebars are straight. Did a little looking tonight and the handlebars and steering stem seem ok if I line everything up. Seems the one tie rod is too long and one is too short. I see a lock not on both ends of the rods, but am unsure on how to adjust them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are the lock nuts supposed to losten up then twist the rod? I'm unclear.
Thanks

shanet1975
02-27-2008, 05:18 PM
got one bot on one side loose. The other won't budge. I'll keep trying....

shanet1975
02-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Would it be easier to remove the tie rods and then adjust them? Kind of seems pointless as you can't really line them up that way. I guess if I got them loose off the bike, they'd be easier to adjust on the bike. Has anyone ever dealt with this that can give me some advise????

shanet1975
02-27-2008, 07:16 PM
All set. Finally realized the inner bolts are clockwise to loosen. Pain in my @ss....They are both now easily moving in and out. Any tricks to getting them lined up right other than eyeballing them??
It'd be nice if someone posted in here....Even if it's just to say hi :)

JOEX
02-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by shanet1975
All set. Finally realized the inner bolts are clockwise to loosen. Pain in my @ss....They are both now easily moving in and out. Any tricks to getting them lined up right other than eyeballing them??
It'd be nice if someone posted in here....Even if it's just to say hi :)
Hi!:devil:

Sometimes you just have to talk yourself through it:macho :D

For adjusting them it's about getting the front tires to the correct amount of toe-in, not so much about getting the tie rods even. Though in theory they should be. If I were there I could show you how but typing it will take me about three days:ermm: :p

shanet1975
02-28-2008, 04:55 AM
I'll eyeball it and give it a go. If it feels off, I'll adjust them some more...
Thanks for the reply....Thought I was all alone there for a while...
Shane