PDA

View Full Version : build up plan

chayes627
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
i have been thinking about upgrades to my engine and the suspension. i was gonna go all out with a 460 stroker kit but i was thinking and its crazy to completely rebuild a year old engine. so i was a new plan, 11:1 high compression piston, stage 1 hot cam. what kind of results have you all gotten from mods like that? also should i get stiffer clutch springs or will i be alright with stock. and of coarse rejetting the carb. suspension, 450r front shocks with works triple rate springs no revalve and stock rear shock with work dual or triple rate spring and maybe a shock linkage. i mostly trail ride with terrain anywhere from woods to very rocky mountain. thanks for any input.

Hondamaster5505
02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by chayes627
i have been thinking about upgrades to my engine and the suspension. i was gonna go all out with a 460 stroker kit but i was thinking and its crazy to completely rebuild a year old engine. so i was a new plan, 11:1 high compression piston, stage 1 hot cam. what kind of results have you all gotten from mods like that? also should i get stiffer clutch springs or will i be alright with stock. and of coarse rejetting the carb. suspension, 450r front shocks with works triple rate springs no revalve and stock rear shock with work dual or triple rate spring and maybe a shock linkage. i mostly trail ride with terrain anywhere from woods to very rocky mountain. thanks for any input.

Forget about the stage 1.

Get the stage 2. Its the same as 1 with more top-end.

02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
yeah with an engine like that get a stage 2 or 3 and at least a 15 tooth front sprocket.

TRXRacer1
02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm going to dissagree with both of them. The stg 1 compared to the 2 or 3 offers more low and mid power while still offering some more top end. The stg 2 and 3 cams are designed for more top end power while still offering some mid gains. It all depends on your style of riding to which cam you want. I like the mid more then the top so I went with the stg 1. I'm happy all around. Also the 15 tooth front is an option but I consider it a bad choice unless you do mostly open riding. Again this is a personal preference that should reflect your riding style and proper gearing makes a big difference. I'm running a 13 front with a 39 rear pushing 21's. It lugs like a champ, feels like a rocket and only on a rare wide open run am I looking for another gear. I'm mostly a tight technical woods rider.

chayes627
02-28-2008, 04:56 AM
trxracer1 i agree, cause i want as much low end as i can possibly get. cause it sounds like i do the same riding as you do. i'm proli going to keep the stock gearing cause it has been working pretty good for as i mostly ride in the middle gears.
as for the clutch springs should i stiffen them up or will it be alright?
also what about the suspension?

02-28-2008, 06:30 AM
You have to read this post people. A 460 stroker.. do you have any clue how much power they make? You need at least a 15 tooth front sprocket. My friend had a 440 stroker and a 14 tooth up front and 1st and 2nd gear were completely pointless. It had so much power and so much torque it would pull really hard but with a 14 tooth up front it was stupid, he needed a 15 so the gears would actually be usable. I have a 15 tooth and I ride trails, its perfect. Just with the mods I have the 15 tooth is great because in trails you can use mainly 2nd and 3rd gear smoothly and effectivly. I dont like the 14 tooth up front like on the newer 400's because you have to shift more to do the same thing.

08400EX
02-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
..... I have a 15 tooth and I ride trails, its perfect. Just with the mods I have the 15 tooth is great because in trails you can use mainly 2nd and 3rd gear smoothly and effectivly. I dont like the 14 tooth up front like on the newer 400's because you have to shift more to do the same thing.

You should add a disclaimer to your gearing recommendations that you live in FLORIDA... Pretty flat down there.

:-)

Hondamaster5505
02-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
You have to read this post people. A 460 stroker.. do you have any clue how much power they make? You need at least a 15 tooth front sprocket. My friend had a 440 stroker and a 14 tooth up front and 1st and 2nd gear were completely pointless. It had so much power and so much torque it would pull really hard but with a 14 tooth up front it was stupid, he needed a 15 so the gears would actually be usable. I have a 15 tooth and I ride trails, its perfect. Just with the mods I have the 15 tooth is great because in trails you can use mainly 2nd and 3rd gear smoothly and effectivly. I dont like the 14 tooth up front like on the newer 400's because you have to shift more to do the same thing.

no, YOU have to read the post.

"i was gonna go all out with a 460 stroker kit but i was thinking and its crazy to completely rebuild a year old engine. so i was a new plan, 11:1 high compression piston, stage 1 hot cam."

416exfreak
02-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
no, YOU have to read the post.

"i was gonna go all out with a 460 stroker kit but i was thinking and its crazy to completely rebuild a year old engine. so i was a new plan, 11:1 high compression piston, stage 1 hot cam."

He isnt going to put a 460 stroker in it. Re-read and comprehend.

He's going to stay standard bore with an 11:1 compression piston.:rolleyes:

08400ex, just because we live in FL, doesnt mean its completely flat. I ride sand pits and MX. I have 15/36 gearing on my 440 and it works good. 1st is pretty much useless for me, but I can do alot in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

5th is just for running from the popo :bandit:

08400EX
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

08400ex, just because we live in FL, doesnt mean its completely flat. I ride sand pits and MX. I have 15/36 gearing on my 440 and it works good. 1st is pretty much useless for me, but I can do alot in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

I know, it was a joke, I actually lived in Jax and Tallahassee for a while. I haven't seen big mountains there, but I have seen DEEP "holes" :-)

I would think 5th would be better used running from the GATORS!!

Hondamaster5505
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
He isnt going to put a 460 stroker in it. Re-read and comprehend.

He's going to stay standard bore with an 11:1 compression piston.:rolleyes:

I know, thats what I was telling foxhondarider. I knew he was going with the stock bore.