PDA

View Full Version : Which diesel Truck should I get?

Jolseen
02-27-2008, 03:48 PM
The dodge ram 6.7 cummins or the Ford 6.4 powerstroke?

ZeroLogic
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Ford.:macho

Stevie-D
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
cummins :macho

Exrider434
02-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Cummins fo sho:macho

Jolseen
02-27-2008, 04:03 PM
This the ram i'm looking at

400exrider707
02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Both have their problems. I'd say the ford is more reliable, the dodge probably gets better mileage. Both are having DPF issues, the Dodge seems to be more often. Fords have a bypass now with tuning (though it is technically illegal for road use:devil: ) The new 6.7 dodges are notorious for crappy trannies though.

That is one sharp looking dodge though, I'd drive it!

If I had to choose between those two, I would take the Ford and seriously look into the DPF delete.

redrocker
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Ford has a bigger cab back seat
Dodge cummins is a good motor (But a dodge)

400exrider707
02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by redrocker
Ford has a bigger cab back seat
Dodge cummins is a good motor (But a dodge)

Cummins is a good motor, all the emissions crap on it is not, same with the ford.

I'd still take a 24 valve 5.9 over the new 6.7 any day!

BLU82
02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
DURAMAX!!! j/k I'm a chevy guy at heart but cummins have earned my respect as they power our excavators and our motorhome. So go CUMMINS!!!

Exrider434
02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Jolseen
This the ram i'm looking at

that is a sick Ram.... :eek2:

boosted3g
02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Im still waiting on the Tundra diesel. Delayed 1 more year because of emmissions. Might be worth checking it out but if you need one now go for the Dodge.

DJJ450r
02-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I picked the ford just because the interior is sooo much nicer than the dodge for the long road to the nationals. It does get horrible gas mileage tho (12.4 avg), hopefully it will get better with time. I drive it through the city a lot too. Whats DPF mean?

quads14589
02-27-2008, 05:14 PM
none bcause of the prices for gas now, and you wont like it at all trust me my dad has the 6.0 and its not friendly on your walet.

troyleepred719
02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Im a chevy man all the way, and Duramax is the way to go. But, everything made today has pros and cons. Dodges chew trannies, the Fords blow turbos apart, and that certainly not from power, Id say anything but powerjoke, but thats just my opinion, find one you like , they all have gobs of powers and crap for gas mileage.

Nick110
02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by DJJ450r
I picked the ford just because the interior is sooo much nicer than the dodge for the long road to the nationals. It does get horrible gas mileage tho (12.4 avg), hopefully it will get better with time. I drive it through the city a lot too. Whats DPF mean?

My buddy has the same truck but with the 8ft bed. It is by far the best truck that I have been in and drove. The interior is huge. We just drove to Florida and back with 5 people in it comfortably. Bad news is the mpg haven't got better and he has 60k on it. Maybe around 100-150k it will get better but idk.

I say ford 6.4 with the PDF delete.

cosborne
02-27-2008, 07:10 PM
The Ford is the way to go, but I would not get the 6.4L. The 7.3L is the way to go. Excellent motor with an excellent truck.

deathman53
02-27-2008, 07:49 PM
I have a 97 7.3, its so comfortable. I drove to florida in january, towing a 20' trailer, like its nothing. Mine gets 15 mpg, doing daily driving. Not bad considering my 4 cylinder nission only get 20, my dads toyota is like 20 also. Mine has a almost full back seat, 2 can fit very comfortably back there. I don't have any of that fuel issues, even though anything you can get is that low sulfur stuff. I would love to run off-road diseal, but the fine is something like $10,000.

DJJ450r
02-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
My buddy has the same truck but with the 8ft bed. It is by far the best truck that I have been in and drove. The interior is huge. We just drove to Florida and back with 5 people in it comfortably. Bad news is the mpg haven't got better and he has 60k on it. Maybe around 100-150k it will get better but idk.

I say ford 6.4 with the PDF delete.

what is a PDF delete? what is a PDF?:confused:

cabex
02-27-2008, 08:25 PM
why do they put a fine on running off-road diesel?

Kickstarts-suck
02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
:D

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4575/liftedf250ox1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

400ex28
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Ford, hands down.

kfx400rider03
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
cause on road diesel is taxedlike all other gases. and the taxes from that go to the road department and that kind of stuff. so if u run off road diesel which has a lower tax or if any tax the state isnt getting money to fix the roads

kfx400rider03
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
cause on road diesel is taxedlike all other gases. and the taxes from that go to the road department and that kind of stuff. so if u run off road diesel which has a lower tax or if any tax the state isnt getting money to fix the roads

300EXrider356
02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by DJJ450r
what is a PDF delete? what is a PDF?:confused:

Its the Diesel Particle Filter, basically it catches the soot, and incinerates it. It's really restrictive though. Ive talked to a guy that removed it, and has a straight pipe on the 6.4 with a Spartan tune the turns off the regen, Which is process where the soot is burned, and he is getting around 19 to 20 MPG. Once you unplug them there beasts. Both SCT and Spartan are coming out with 200HP Tunes:eek2:

bulkdriverlp
02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
off road diesel will ruin the engine, ask somebody who knows. too much sulfur

DJJ450r
02-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
off road diesel will ruin the engine, ask somebody who knows. too much sulfur I'm pretty sure its the exact same just has a dye in it so cops can tell.

JForestZ34
02-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
off road diesel will ruin the engine, ask somebody who knows. too much sulfur

The only difference between on-road and off-road diesel is the red dye they put in it.. That way we you get pulled over for a truck inspection they can tell quickly if they take a sample of it from your tank..

James

JBENSON
02-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Neither! Diesels suck! $5000 to $7500 extra to buy the diesel over a gas engine. Maintnance is more, oil changes is more, gas engine will pull faster (you have to run a gas engine harder to pull but it will pull faster). Gas engine are reliable. Diesel fuel costs
more! The $$$$$$ dont add up to me to buy a diesel IMO! Fuel mileage is about the same between gas or diesel. I dont think the extra money you spend in a diesel is worth it! :huh

400exrider707
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by JBENSON
Neither! Diesels suck! $5000 to $7500 extra to buy the diesel over a gas engine. Maintnance is more, oil changes is more, gas engine will pull faster (you have to run a gas engine harder to pull but it will pull faster). Gas engine are reliable. Diesel fuel costs
more! The $$$$$$ dont add up to me to buy a diesel IMO! Fuel mileage is about the same between gas or diesel. I dont think the extra money you spend in a diesel is worth it! :huh

Is this a joke of some sort? Sure a diesel costs more, maintenance is usually more as well. I still wouldn't buy a gasser. Next time you see me in a gasser will be a hearse. They do NOT get the same mileage. What's a 700 ft-lb at the wheels gas motor get for mileage? My truck pulls 15mpg consistently, and though you may be able to beat that with a V8 gas truck, it doesn't have nearly the power, and once you hook a trailer up to both, the diesel will have much better economy. What do you mean a gas motor will pull faster?

DPF is Diesel particulate filter, and is the major reason these new motors are getting such bad fuel mileage. Once it clogs up, the motor dumps raw fuel into the exhaust and burns it in that filter, incinerating all the soot in there. Dumping fuel in your exhaust doesn't help MPG. You can get a DPF delete, but you need the tuning to go with it. Spartan does it as well as KEM. The KEM seems to be the more popular choice. Truckers are reporting up to 23mpg with this mod now.

treake
02-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
The only difference between on-road and off-road diesel is the red dye they put in it.. That way we you get pulled over for a truck inspection they can tell quickly if they take a sample of it from your tank..

James

This makes no sense. If there is no difference between the two, why would the police check to see if it's on road or off road diesel. On road diesel is more refined and has less sulfur because of the emissions. That is why on road diesel cost more and you are ticketed if you are caught running off road diesel in a vehicle used on the road.

As for the person who said that diesels suck and a gas engine is a better way to go. That is definitely an educated opinion. Fuel mileage is certainly better with a diesel whether your pulling a 24ft trailer or pulling nothing at all. A diesel is meant for pulling, not to go fast. The bottom line is, if a diesel didn't get better mileage or wasn't better for pulling, then they wouldn't put diesel engines in commercial equipment like, loaders, tractor trailers, dump trucks, etc.

Regular_Joe
02-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I did some research and combined some info from a bunch of different sites ......

On road fuel has a low sulfur content to prevent catalytic converter damage. The sulfur will deactivate the catalyst and lead to soot clogging of the converter core.

The process of producing the lower sulfur content raises the Cetane rating of the fuel, but lowers the fuel lubricity. The seal shrink & swell characteristic of low sulfur fuel is different than the high sulfur stuff. Some engines need the higher Cetane of low sulfur fuel. The off road high sulfur fuel has a Cetane rating of 40, while the low sulfur highway fuel has a rating of 45.

Some older injector pumps (not the '94+ Ram) need the lubrication and swell characteristics of the high sulfur fuel or they fail. Many of the older automotive injector pumps (Ford, Dodge, Mercedes) required a rebuild when the fuel was changed.

Starting June 1 (2007), the nation’s refineries began producing low sulfur diesel fuel for use in off-road equipment. The new fuel will then wind its way through the distribution system, so that by December 1, locomotives and marine vessels, as well as farming, construction and mining equipment, will switch to diesel containing nearly 85 percent less sulfur. This new off-road fuel has a sulfur content of 500 parts per million, reduced from approximately 3,000 parts per million in the previous blend.

By 2010, sulfur levels in most non-road diesel fuel will be reduced to 15 parts per million, making it possible for engine manufacturers to use advanced exhaust control systems that significantly reduce emissions. For locomotive and marine fuel, this step will occur in 2012.

bustedknuckle
02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
ive gave much thought into this idea.gas vs diesel. well i just bought a new duramax.cant believethe power.and with onley 1,000 miles on it im getting 16.5 mpg. unbelievable. best move yet.if you think it doesnt have any power.ive got a buddy that will race any thing.short of full blower. and beat it hands down... and he has a crew cab.no bs.ck out this web. diesel place .com its all duramax .

dudeman_29
02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm going to save myself from telling some people off and just leave it at this, the title is which DIESEL truck should I get. SHUT UP ABOUT JUNK GASSERS!!
Anyway I love my 5.9's. I just bought my 3rd this past tue. The first was our farm truck that I got when I turned 16. It was a 1999. The next one was my 1998.5 that I sold not too long ago tricked to the hills. My newest is a 2001. I don't have anything done except I put my pacbrake on today. I love the 24 valvers to death. However for price the 7.3 is a great truck. I HATE the powerstroke the cummer isn't bad. IMO I'm not a dodge fan but love cummins. I'm not brand bias I love anything thats not gas.

blacknblue#2
02-29-2008, 01:59 AM
I have been a die hard Ford man all my life i grew up riding the the old 6.9s and 7.3s when i was a little kid and loved them(kinda have to love them when you got a ford/international mix and a dad with 30+ internationals lol). I currently drive an 06 6.0 and cant complain its got 25000 on it and never a problem but if they ever put a cummins in a ford ill be the first one at the dealership the day its released, what a truck that would be. And for the gas guys callin us crazy for paying 6 grand extra for an engine let me ask ya this. Whats the percentage of gas engines runnin up to 400,000 miles with basic maintenance? How often are you changing oil compared to me? (i change mine at 7500 every time, youve done changed yours twice by then) What kind of loads are you capable of draggin up jellico mountain?(1066 International 9500lb tractor, 25ft dual tandem trailer 4th gear on the carpet and somewhere between 45 and 55 at the top) Ive pulled a load of 350lb fourwheelers on a 16 foot car hauler behind a gas truck and made it grunt for relief going up some hills

quads14589
02-29-2008, 04:24 AM
diesel is going to be hitting 4.50 a gallon in the summertime so its up to you if you want to spend 200 dollars a week filling up your tank or you can go out and buy a car or a small pickup and blow 60 a week.:rolleyes:

Premis
02-29-2008, 12:56 PM
There is so much misinformation here it's bugging me.

For comparison issues, I own 2005 Chevy Duramax

Off-road diesel issue -

The 07 and up engines REQUIRE ULSD fuel (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel). Stations started making the switch to that in 05. It used to be LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel). If you put LSD into a truck that requires ULSD it will cause problems. As for the off-road diesel...I'm not sure if off-road diesel is ULSD or LSD, I'm sure you can probably get either. Diesel fuel is taxed more than gas because it is assumed that vehicles running diesel are harder on the roads. Off-road diesel is about $.50 less because it doesn't have as many taxes. They die the fuel to catch people running it in their trucks on the street as a tax management system. They are basically trying to catch people that are evading taxes in a way.

Gas vs. Diesel

A diesel engine is more expensive than a gas engine for several reasons. Their is more technology involved, there is lower demand (they make so many gassers that they can spread their fixed costs into each engine easier) And a diesel engine is built to be much stronger. As for maintenance, when you go to work on a diesel it may costs you a little more but you don't work on them nearly as much. I can go 10,000 miles on an oil change and it only costs me $15 more than a gas engine. Most gas engines would have done 3 changes by then. Semi engines can go even longer, Chad Wienen's new Volvo chassis motorhome can go 80,000 miles between changes. As for mileage, my truck gets 20MPG going down the interstate and about 15 in town. When I hook on my 44ft enclosed gooseneck (16,500 lbs) it still gets 10 MPG and will pull it at 80 MPH. If you think your gas truck can pull this trailer faster than mine let's test it out. Diesels are more effiecent than gas, especially towing. As for fuel prices, you are right that diesel is more than gas, it started to get that way in 2005. What a lot of people don't know is diesel is a by-product of manufacturing gas. The reason diesel is so much more is a direct result of taxes (road taxes and tree-hugger taxes) and greedy oil companies. If diesel hits $4.50 this summer, gas will hit $4.25. The main reason people buy diesel, besides the power, is the longevity. You can easily get 500,000 miles out of a diesel if you treat it right. Another big reason is mods, you can add a lot more power to a diesel than a gas.

When it comes down to it preference. I have driven gassers and diesels. After owning my duramax I will never buy another gasser, even a lot of cars are going to diesel because of their efficencey and new advances have made them run cleaner. I read somewhere that a new duramax (in stock form) burns 3 times cleaner than the same truck with a gas engine. I also heard that if you drive a new ford in the Los Angeles area the exhaust coming out of your tail pipe is actually cleaner than the air going into your filter.

Villageidiott83
02-29-2008, 01:16 PM
moped. i can get 30 miles to the gallon on this hog. and theres room for one more if you still want to go to aspen.

smr
02-29-2008, 01:59 PM
i have really been considering a deisel. We pull an 18ft trailer to the GNCC's and I only get about 8 mpg with my Ram1500.

Premis is correct on the offroad diesel, the biggest difference in the offroad diesel and the onroad is the taxes. They die it to keep you from running it on the road, in some states it's a minnimum of $10,000.00 dollar fine if your cought. If you ever go to a farm auction watch the parking lot. There will be some DOT's out there "dipping Tanks". That's were they take a rod with a spunge on it and wipe the neck going to the tank, if the die shows up you are in big trouble.

Honda_Matt
02-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Mind me asking what the price tag is on the cummins you posted a pic of?.

Im considering buying one now, it's between a duramax 2500 or a ram 2500.

Jolseen
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
The ram is right at 40k

treake
03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Premis
[B]There is so much misinformation here it's bugging me.

For comparison issues, I own 2005 Chevy Duramax

Off-road diesel issue -

The 07 and up engines REQUIRE ULSD fuel (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel). Stations started making the switch to that in 05. It used to be LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel). If you put LSD into a truck that requires ULSD it will cause problems. As for the off-road diesel...I'm not sure if off-road diesel is ULSD or LSD, I'm sure you can probably get either. Diesel fuel is taxed more than gas because it is assumed that vehicles running diesel are harder on the roads. Off-road diesel is about $.50 less because it doesn't have as many taxes. They die the fuel to catch people running it in their trucks on the street as a tax management system. They are basically trying to catch people that are evading taxes in a way.

I'm pretty sure this is not correct. If you read Regular_joe's posting, it explains the difference between off road and on road diesel. I'm pretty sure he cut and paste that directly from a source. On road diesel is more refined due to the emissions requirement and that is going to make it cost more. Taxes don't come into play.