PDA

View Full Version : Jetting issue

bloodmoney23
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
I know I know. Well im trying to get my jetting dead on for the races next weekend. It was a little off but i also expected the temps to go up some. I have perfect mid to full power but when i punch the throttle it dies. Is this needle or pilot or what? I need to invest in a dang FCR carb like soon. I did my brothers YFZ and I got it on the second try. They are so much more user friendly.

I have it on HRC needle 4th clip, 195 Main, 52 Pilot A/F 2.5 turns out.

It doesnt pop on acceleration or decel. The only problem is when i punch the throttle it dies. Crap by the end of this winter I better be an expert on jetting.

the Z Man
02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Try a 180 or 185, sounds like its getting a little too much fuel.

BlaineKaiser450
02-27-2008, 03:53 PM
it looks like you are rich to me. I run a 182 and its perfect for me. But im NO expert on jetting

bloodmoney23
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
well, I upped the main from a 190 to the 195 cause it was too lean before (popping and stuff like that). Im thinking about just dropping the needle back to the 3rd clip and hoping that works. Remember I have an 05 so the jetting is a little higher than 06 and above.

d3ktrix
02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
It does it when u punch the throttle off idle?
Or if your like half throttle and then floor it?

bloodmoney23
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
well im at a 200 on the main still a 52 pilot and needle on 4th clip and 2.5 on a/f screw. Its doing a lot better but still a slight hesi. I think i need to pick up all jets to 210 for main jets. I think come summer i should be good between 195-200. If the plug is completely black that means too lean right? and if its wet its too rich correct? and a slight tan is where i want to be? cause when i pulled the plug is was charcoal black. Cleaned it up and then pulled it with the 200 in and its still dark but starting to lighten up.

and D3 the dying was a punch from dead idle. like i said, it was actually perfect from about 1/4 throttle to full throttle just punching from idle it would die. now with the 200 main its a slight hesi but not dying at punch. I know the mains job is 1/2 to full throttle so im not understanding why it is making things better but it is. Anyway, as soon as i get the money im buying an FCR but that may be a while. The wife decided to go on a shopping spree with my credit card.

d3ktrix
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Sounds like a lean bog caused by the pilot.
That's why u get it when you punch it off idle and not from 1/4 throttle.

Had the same exact thing when I put the 07 CRF carb on my bike.
When I first put it on with stock jets 178MJ/42pilot/50leak it would bog super bad off idle when you stabbed the throttle.
I slapped a 48 in it right way and now u can't hit the throttle fast enough.

Maybe the reason the larger main jet is helping it some is because your flooding your entire circuit?
Thats my guess.

As you went up in main jet sizes did the bike loose or gain top end power?

Give a 55pilot a shot.

I just jetted my friends bike today with the following.
40F ambient temp
05 450r / Dasa / No Lid / HC2 / 12:1
190MJ / HRC 3rd clip / 55pilot / 2.5-3 turns on the A/F
It was shooting flames on decel with the 48 pilot, and still popping hardcore with a 50pilot.
When the temps warm back up he'll prolly be back down to a 185 / 50 pilot.

What jets did u end up with in ur friends YFZ?

bloodmoney23
02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
my bros YFZ......

Needle: 4th Clip
Main: 172
Pilot: 48
Leak: 90 (which is what was in the carb)

It could go for a 175, but the 175 snapped and the dealer has to replace it but they have to order it. And all it has is ESR intake and full Alba exhaust and this thing dominated mine.

Ill try the 55 pilot and drop the main back down a little but its running a lot better now and the plug is like i said tan with a little black. Im not getting any flames or popping now either. I have also heard of a few other guys that were up to 210 on the main with similar mods. I personally think thats too high but with this 05 carb im starting to wonder. Well anyway, the bro and i are going to race again tomorrow to be possitive if i gained or lost.

d3ktrix
02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah a 200 isn't all that insane for cold weather.
Go by if ur loosing or gaining top end power and plug color.

When u check ur plug ur doing a WOT run and killing it right?
Don't let it idle at all,,,, WOT and OFF.