PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions about 450r tires and shocks for mx

450R#72
02-27-2008, 03:32 PM
i race mx and i just recently moved up to a 450r. I would like to know some opinions about what the best shocks and tires are. I ran kenda' s on my other quad and i was pretty happy with them. If you have any suggestions on tires and shocks that woild be great. Thanks

bloodmoney23
02-27-2008, 03:55 PM
the 18" Maxxis MX tires a freaking great. I just switched from ITP to these and they are at least 25 times better than the ITP's. My bro has the Kenda's on his YFZ and the Maxxis' def grab better. Shocks, I run Elka, but the Fox Evols, PEP's and iShocks are all really good too.

BlaineKaiser450
02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
my favorite tire combo is Kenda fronts, with Razr Mx rears. I have the Razr fronts right now, and they are ok but push a little. For your shocks, i have a Motowoz/SMC front end and i LOVE it

400exrider707
02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Well lets start off with some questions for you. What level will you be racing, and how much are you looking to spend? Since you just got on a 450R I'm guessing you're doing C or B class? No offense if you're not, just an educated guess. For tires, it's hard to skimp out here, if you go really cheap, they wont last long and dont hook up worth anything. Any MX tire from ITP or Maxxis will do fine. The kendas are great too, I've been running kendas and ITP's for a while, I'll be running Kendas exclusively now. I prefer klaw fronts and knarly ST rears, this combo seems to work the best for the variety of terrain I race on.

450R#72
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
money isnt a problem. I just need the best tires. And yes i will be starting off racing C class.

rollie
02-27-2008, 07:16 PM
goin on my 4th season with kenda front tires and 2nd season with kenda rears, i think there awesome, i wouldnt buy another over priced ITP tires again. as for shocks on my 300 i had elka, they where decent but its common knowledge that elkas dont come set up well from the factory, on the other hand so far i absolutely love my Fox Evols

allstock
02-27-2008, 07:16 PM
track conditions also play a big role in tire choice. for hard pack i would go with itp quadcross's. for softer and loamy stuff itp mxr 6's would work well.
the only thing bad about the itp's is that they wear fast so you may need to replace them half way into the season. as far as shocks go fox and axis have to be my favorites.

blacknblue#2
02-28-2008, 03:48 AM
As for tires, i think this would depend just what kind of track your on. I ride alot of loose choppy tracks so i run Razr fronts and run them a little soft and they turn great. I had always ran kenda rears up till the middle of 07 when i switched to ITP MXR6, And man there was a night and day difference on a loose track them itp's will hook up great. I didnt realise the amount of wheel-spin i was getting until i got the ITP and was having alot better holeshots. but like i said its all loose stuff i havent had them on a hard packed track yet. For shocks i cant say for sure, ive only been in motocross for about 3 years and only had 2 sets of shocks, Elkas and TCS. stock valving vs stock valving i would pick the TCS over elka but right now im back in the market for a set of long travel Elkas cause ive heard Laz at GTT can do some wonders with these shocks so i wanna give that set-up a shot

400exrider707
02-28-2008, 02:42 PM
If I had an unlimited budget.... I'd still run my kenda tires. Knarly ST rear for soft terrain and keep and for hard pack I think ITP holeshot SX's are great, but I still keep a pair of grooved tamers for those real hard tracks. Klaw fronts seem to work well in all conditions and I've been using them as an ice tire this season as well, and they work great.

For shocks, I think I would like to try a set of Motowoz shocks, they come extremely recommended.