View Full Version : Z400 434 Athena bolt on ??

THORrider350
02-27-2008, 02:10 PM
What do you guys think about this kit... I am thinking about upgrading and dont know if i need anything else... i have a full yoshi exhaust thats about it tho...

cataway
02-28-2008, 04:08 AM
unless you do every thing that go's along with it your not going to get the full penitential from it , most likely you wont even get what i get from my stock bore.

indyZrider
02-28-2008, 05:38 AM
youll need a bigger carb as well. cams wouldnt hurt also. and your airbox is going to need to be opened up.

zracer16
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I have that kit on my race quad and it is a great kit. You simply can not beat it for the price. However, I do agree with the two posters above, you need the other mods to really make it come alive.

JBENSON
02-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I have the same kit on my race quad, it works REALLY well! Mine also has a bigger intake cam, stock exhaust cam, drz cylinder gasket, full muzzy exhaust and open air box (no lid). VERY NICE KIT! :eek2:

TheNewn
03-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by THORrider350
What do you guys think about this kit... I am thinking about upgrading and dont know if i need anything else... i have a full yoshi exhaust thats about it tho...

I think before you upgrade bore, you need to look into Cams first. the DRZe kit perhaps, and intake/carbs as well, and CDI definitely.

Bore (some cases carbs) should be the last thing you do. Because with the valves should be upgraded to something like Kibble whites. and the Cam chain should be replaced with a DID (stronger) one before going much further as well.

In my opinion, before spending hundreds of dollars, do a lot of research.

RATPACK Z400
03-16-2008, 12:58 PM
In stead of getting that kit has anybody got the 430 stroker kit in stead ? (hotrod 430 stroker kit)I heard it will run with stock 450s? this is the kit Im looking to get in future it comes with new piston,stroker and no need for carb just jet but thats what Ive read on it seems like a good choice than boring, they said stroker just drops in with no case mods,and no need for new carb If anybody has one Id like to hear the results.

cataway
03-16-2008, 02:27 PM
yeah, but far from the easiest mod to do

TheNewn
03-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
In stead of getting that kit has anybody got the 430 stroker kit in stead ? (hotrod 430 stroker kit)I heard it will run with stock 450s? this is the kit Im looking to get in future it comes with new piston,stroker and no need for carb just jet but thats what Ive read on it seems like a good choice than boring, they said stroker just drops in with no case mods,and no need for new carb If anybody has one Id like to hear the results.

yeah 'drops in' meaning you have to split the cases which is a ***** usually compared to NOT splitting the cases. I'd have the Athena kit my #1 my #2 and my #3 on getting more displacement from a Z. no need to split the cases at all. Must easier install. and cheap for what you get.

RATPACK Z400
03-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah your right about the spliting the case,it is more work,but I was thinking it might be worth it ,cause after it done you have a 430 putting out 450 hps and later down the road adding the extra 40ccs and having a 470 Z but thats why I suggested the 430 stroker kit.It seems like a good kit for the money.If I was to have one of these kits, Id have pro put it in.I just dont know the money difference is.