PDA

View Full Version : fixing steering stem ?'s

Glenyzracer25
02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
i have a steering stem that i bent, and thought about cutting that section out and rewelding a new straight section in. i also considered putting a piece inside the stem to give it more strength but was curious if i do that b/c it probably wont bend, will it cause damage to the frame if it takes a direct hit?

any other ideas or suggestions?

One_Bad_400
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
think the best fix is just buying a new one...just a good excuse to upgrade to an antivibe, plus if you're a taller guy you could try a +1 or +2, it really makes a difference in comfort and control...

mojo123
02-27-2008, 10:31 AM
could always heat it up and bend it then put a peice of metal or something inside of it for more strenght

Glenyzracer25
02-27-2008, 11:07 AM
It is a Gibson +1 already. its gotta bad bend that is not straightenable. i was gonna make it a +1.5 when i cut it. i just wondered about the extra metal inside to make it bend resistant.

chris46250r
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
If done correctly and a piece put on the inside I dont see the problem with doing it. Try it and see how it turns out. The most you would be out is another stem. Alot of people say dont weld on a steering stem. Everyone I have ever seen was welded together.

54warrior
02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Everyone I have ever seen was welded together.

The man makes a very valid point.

If you have the materials to try fixing it, why not? Not everything has to be brand freaking new. Use some good old fashioned ingenuity to resolve the problem.

omaits
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I was going to straighten mine and put a piece of angle iron in it to make sure it never bent again. A few people on here recommended that I did not make an indestructible steering stem because it would probably result in a bent frame later. I would rather have a been steering stem then a bent frame.

Not saying this is true...but this is what some people told me.

Flyin-Low
02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
They design things a certain way for a reason, some things just are meant to give under pressure.

And you have to remember that the area around any weld you make is weaker. that's why stems are one solid tube for the length.