PDA

View Full Version : noisy engine

xtreme 250x
02-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Alright I have done a search on this one and the last thread was over two years ago. I bought an 06 ltr 450 and I notice it is pretty loud at idle sounds like valves are ticking of course as rpm gain the pipe over comes the noise in the engine can anybody shed soon light to me I haven't done anything to the bike and all I know is it has a cherry Bomb and a yosh titanum full sytem Should I replace the cams I saw a thread here about shims also just looking to see if anyone else has had a loud engine I am use to riding a honda never had a loud ticking unless it was going to blow up thanks

jherbie28
02-27-2008, 11:48 AM
check the valves, does this bike have a powercommander? if not get one. you need to have one for that pipe. good luck

redrider9045
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
If you/they never touched the head time for a valve adjustment. But if youve done some head work the timing could be a tooth off and that would cause the clicking valves hitting the top of the piston. Happened in a couple of hondas

xtreme 250x
02-27-2008, 02:09 PM
It has a cherry bomb other than that not sure what is a powercommander Not sure if the head was touched I was sold the bike with stock exhaust(baffle removed) air box lid off and cherry bomb The previous owener told me the engine was stock. Anyway to know if there is head work other than pulling the head? Thanks for the help so far keep it coming if anyone else has any Ideas I will start with having the valve adjusted

jherbie28
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
being that the ltr is fuel injected it has to be "mapped" like a carburator(sp) has to be jetted. dont quote me on this but i believe the ltrs come lean from the factory and when you open the exhaust up you have re map the bike to allow the right air fuel mixture. its all electronic. the powercommander are about $300-$350 depending on where you get them. running your bike with out the proper ratio will make it run hot and potentaly do great damange. look into buying one and start with the valves, let us know how it goes

gimp419
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Questions to ask the previous owner:
1.) have the valves been adjusted recently?
2.) How many hours are on the motor?
3.) If rebuilt how many hours since?

Could be the valves out of adj. Could be time for a piston, could be a loose timing chain. If it's never had a piston put in it and rode a lot then I'd say you are hearing piston slap.

Running the Yosh pipe with the cherry bomb is fine. You don't need a Power Commander for just a pipe and a filter. The Yosh Pipe actually comes with a cherry bomb when you buy it.

asjr39
02-29-2008, 09:29 PM
I have an 06 also, and my bike was making the same type of sound. When I took it in, it needed a new piston, re-nickle seal the cylinder and a new crank along with all the gaskets and junk. Basically a brand new stock motor. I would bite the bullet and take to a shop and have someone go through the motor just to be on the safe side.

RahnL17
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
you can run that exhaust with the cherry bomb as long as you don't have an intake mod...the cherry bomb was made for the air box lid off and the baffle out or a yosh exhaust

xtreme 250x
03-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I only have a full exhaust and the lid of no intake mods thanks for all the help guys I am going to see if the valves need adjustments I'll keep you all posted thanks for all the good help.

manban
03-11-2008, 11:49 PM
I posted in LTRHQ and some buddys keep thinking its nerf related ... In My case I only here the noise when I land and not so mush on the gas ... as if something is slapping inside the engine below my left boot. ... Only when I land from a jump soft or hard ...Louder... I m also on my way in to bite the bullet and let the shop look at the cams... etc... 06 got it new and no Hr meter no valve check just iok cahnges :eek2: :confused:
Hope I dont loose my chances of getting the suspension conversion.....

I'll let you all know! Too..

http://www.********.com/invision/forums/index.php?showtopic=15364&st=0#entry227449