PDA

View Full Version : What size wheels and tires should I run

toyobuilder
02-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Hello Everybody:

I just recently came across this website and I thought I'd ask you all for some help. I have a 2001 lt80 and I'm looking to upgrade the wheels and tires. The quad is stock (for now) and I'm just looking for a set that will make it look a little nicer. I should mention that I will be putting a set of wheel spacers on it at the same time as the new wheels. I really like the tires that member redzoomer has on his quad (I saw a picture of it in one of the posts). Does anybody know the brand and size by chance? I sent him a pm earlier but I haven't heard back from him. It looks like he has painted the factory wheels. Is this true or has he opted for black aftermarket wheels? Thanks for everyone's help.

Perazzimx14
02-27-2008, 03:54 AM
I would look at getting 18 x 6.5 x 8 Carlisle Snow Hogs all around. If you are not into the alum. look and the factory wheels are not beat up, I would just stick with the factory wheels and either paint or powder caot them the color you want.

2crazy2care
02-27-2008, 07:56 AM
if you're looking for a little "bling", go to jlatv.com. They have wheel & tire sets for th lt80 at good prices.

TRX450RACER174
02-27-2008, 05:05 PM
I got ours from here nice people to deal with.
http://www.recreationtires.com/

LT80
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I'd stay with the stock sizes or close.
The 18x8.5x8 tires are too wide.

With all do respect, I don't care for the snowhogs. Some like em.
I feel they are way too stiff of a sidewall which effects handling and softness of suspention which can result in broken motor cases.

Call DWT (Douglas wheel) and get a nice set of chrome rims for the bling. :)

Perazzimx14
03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
LT80,

I like most others prefer the stiffer sidewall on the Snowhog. In my opinion it creates better handeling as you eliminate most of the body roll with a stiffer sidewall. Also you get better traction with the snowhog opposed to factory and/or any balloon tire as there is more ground contact with the flat profile of the snowhog.

This is my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Lance

toyobuilder
03-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by LT80
I'd stay with the stock sizes or close.
The 18x8.5x8 tires are too wide.

With all do respect, I don't care for the snowhogs. Some like em.
I feel they are way too stiff of a sidewall which effects handling and softness of suspention which can result in broken motor cases.

Call DWT (Douglas wheel) and get a nice set of chrome rims for the bling. :)

What size and brand do you run with your quads? I like the looks of the 18x6.5x8 snowhogs on the front and rear but I definately don't want to go any wider. Could you send me some pics of what you run and I may be tempted to go another route. If I do decide to go with the 18X6.5X8 snowhogs will they fit on my stock wheels? Any tips on painting stock wheels? I know it's all in the preparation. Thanks for your help.

LT80
03-02-2008, 08:37 AM
I use stock fronts untill wore out.
For racing I go to a 16x6.5x8 (rear) but are getting hard to find.
Most stick with a 18/19/20" tire for basic riding and dunes.
In the Rocky Mountain catalog there is::
Duro Thrasher 20x7x8 #118-071 $32.
Duro Knobby 20x7x8 #118-072 $32.
Kenda Scorpion (a knobby) 19x7x8 and 20x7x8 $33. and $37.
GBC made a good tire. Not in the Rocky book tho.
I looked up GBC. www.greenball.com
http://www.greenball.com/tires/turftecii.htm
Look at those.

I prefer the knobbys.

Yes, any 8" tire will fit on your stock rims.

lt80 dad
03-31-2008, 04:39 PM
itp also makes a rim set they are 3/120 8x8 rear and 8x5.5 fronts T9 series polished alum under $50 each i think there is a 8x7 rear too

s_pfingsten
06-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Will the 16x6.5x8 snow hogs fit the stock wheel? I was hoping to not have to buy wheels.

toyobuilder
06-05-2008, 01:04 AM
I ended up putting 18x6.5x8 snow hogs on all four of my stock wheels and they fit fine. The 16x6.5x8 tires should fit the stock wheels and would probably make for a good race tire. If you plan on doing any other type of riding I would go with the 18's because of the additional height they offer. In my opinion they also look much better on the quad then the 16's.

s_pfingsten
06-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info. Everybody on here's so cool.:)

redzoomer
08-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by toyobuilder
Hello Everybody:

I just recently came across this website and I thought I'd ask you all for some help. I have a 2001 lt80 and I'm looking to upgrade the wheels and tires. The quad is stock (for now) and I'm just looking for a set that will make it look a little nicer. I should mention that I will be putting a set of wheel spacers on it at the same time as the new wheels. I really like the tires that member redzoomer has on his quad (I saw a picture of it in one of the posts). Does anybody know the brand and size by chance? I sent him a pm earlier but I haven't heard back from him. It looks like he has painted the factory wheels. Is this true or has he opted for black aftermarket wheels? Thanks for everyone's help.

I was just reading through your thread and saw my name! I never got that PM sorry! My wheels are factory LT80 wheels painted with 18" snowhogs. We love them. They are a little stiff but they handle great.