PDA

View Full Version : Switching from a 400EX

mbx5
02-26-2008, 08:08 PM
I am thinking seriously about buying a Banshee. I currently have a 400ex that is a 426, hotcams stage 2, white bros pipe, lectron carb, Roll Design front end, etc etc...

It just doesnt quite do it for me... I had a quadracer 250 back in the day and loved the 2 stroke powerband... This 4 stroke EX is just too bland for my taste...

My question is - how are Banshees as trail bikes? I am not a dune rider or hill climber - just fields, trails, and woods....and maybe a practice run or two on an MX track....

Should I shut up and keep my EX, or go for the 2 stroke?:confused:

Hondamaster5505
02-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by mbx5
I am thinking seriously about buying a Banshee. I currently have a 400ex that is a 426, hotcams stage 2, white bros pipe, lectron carb, Roll Design front end, etc etc...

It just doesnt quite do it for me... I had a quadracer 250 back in the day and loved the 2 stroke powerband... This 4 stroke EX is just too bland for my taste...

My question is - how are Banshees as trail bikes? I am not a dune rider or hill climber - just fields, trails, and woods....and maybe a practice run or two on an MX track....

Should I shut up and keep my EX, or go for the 2 stroke?:confused:

ehhh. By where you ride, I don't think it would be best..

If you did do hillclimbs and more wide-open, i would say go for it. The banshee can be done up to be alright in woods, but if thats all your doin then I don't recomend it.

If you get the banshee anyway, this is a great setup for trails:

12 tooth front sproket
PT Mid-range/FMF Gnarly
milled head
Or leave it stock. Probably the most bottom end you'll get.

My recomendation for your stlye riding is a raptor 700. You can find 06's for around 4000. They have big balls and gobs of torque.

Dinner
03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I too would have to say that if you are just riding trails, woods with the occasional MX, Banshee might not be your best choice, Unless you want to spend some $$ on upgrading the motor and suspension so that it is set up for that type of riding.

sonof_perdition
03-01-2008, 12:44 PM
IMHO... Banshee's are king of the dunes while the 400ex is a hard competitor for king of the trails. I ride a 400ex primarily at the dunes and I can not keep up with my banshee counterparts but once we hit the trails on the edge of the dunes the shee's can't keep up with me on the 400ex. If you need more power stay away from the shee's for trail use and get a raptor 700, KTM, 525, Polaris Outlaw 525 or a 450r with a 480 and HRC kit. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Or keep the 400 and also get a shee.

firefighterjosh
03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Banshee + Trails = Very big workout and stuck alot if there are ruts

Dinner
03-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Banshee + Trails = Very big workout and stuck alot if there are ruts

lol that is true too. Last time I went trail riding with some friends was last summer I think. Friend has a cabin/cottage in a forest and trails all throughout there. We load up and go out and man, it sucks with stock suspension, let alone clutching it in certain spots to stay in the powerband,lol.

x rider1291
03-02-2008, 04:36 PM
i have a banshee and i do great in the trails and on mx tracks. you just have to kno how to ride it. haha but yea that is true about gettin stuck on ruts just get some aftermarket suspension on ebay for cheap and ull be good. but other than i think it rips in the trails. and remember if u like it then get it who cares wut everyone else says.it makes it that much better when your goin through the trails or an mx track and your whoopin all the 4 strokes haha( relax 4 stroke riders dont get your panties in a bunch)

Dinner
03-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Yea they can make good quads for trails. But if you are in tight, twisty trails and then goes into a hill...you will be doing a bit of clutching so that you can get the revs up to the powerband. I'm not saying, no don't get a banshee for trails, but they arn't the best for trails either, especially with stock supsension:eek:

firefighterjosh
03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
IMO banshee = practice bike. They do ok in the trails they do OK on the MX track, but I have yet to see a awesome rider on a banshee.

I raced a banshee for a couple years in XC. I did ok, it would wear my arese out too. Arms would feel little jello cuz of the harder steering and tough thumb throttle and all the clutching and shifting I had to do.

Then I got on a 4 stroke quad and WOW I could last the whole race without my arms feeling too bad.

Banshee is a good quad to get in shape, but its not a very good platform for a race quad

Hondamaster5505
03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
IMO banshee = practice bike. They do ok in the trails they do OK on the MX track, but I have yet to see a awesome rider on a banshee.

I raced a banshee for a couple years in XC. I did ok, it would wear my arese out too. Arms would feel little jello cuz of the harder steering and tough thumb throttle and all the clutching and shifting I had to do.

Then I got on a 4 stroke quad and WOW I could last the whole race without my arms feeling too bad.

Banshee is a good quad to get in shape, but its not a very good platform for a race quad

yet to see a good rider on a banshee huh?
This guys cliff jumps are insane:eek2:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5988362560177735610&q=banshee&total=10935&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6518540638657462757&q=DMCBanshee&total=27&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

firefighterjosh
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Insane don't mean he is good lol.

Im talking about MX and XC racing

Hondamaster5505
03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Insane don't mean he is good lol.

Im talking about MX and XC racing

Well they're great in baja.

Banshee's were never built for MX. Their primary location is the desert.

They're a great quad for hillclimbs, dunes, fireroads, coalmines, and some trails.
So basically as long as you're a skilled rider, it can go anywhere you want it to.

And about arms being tired, if that didnt happen it wouldnt be a banshee. They do that to you because of their sick powerband, unlike the pos 450's. Banshee's are king in power. Unless the 450's are highly built, banshee's still overcome them.

I dont like the powerband of the 450's that much at all. All mid-range, no low-end and mediocre top end...:o

450's are nice and all, but I just love banshee's so much. No other bike will match its top end.

firefighterjosh
03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Yes a banshee is a good drag racer or dun racer. But that is about it. Everything else you stated you do not want in racing lol.

When is the last time a banshee won a Desert race? Only thing i can think of is pikes peak. I belive there is a guy still winning that with a banshee

Hondamaster5505
03-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Yes a banshee is a good drag racer or dun racer. But that is about it. Everything else you stated you do not want in racing lol.

When is the last time a banshee won a Desert race? Only thing i can think of is pikes peak. I belive there is a guy still winning that with a banshee

I forgot his name, I saw it in Dirtwheels a while back and it said it was his last race with the banshee.

He had a full long travel banshee and kept placing in the top 5. If built right the banshee's are great.

x rider1291
03-03-2008, 07:16 PM
yea in stock form banshees arent the best for trails or track....and even with worked they can still be a hassle...but thats the fun part about i think....the banshee makes u work that much harder and in the end u become a better rider.

blacknblue#2
03-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I had a banshee for about 6 months in 02, i just wanted to try it cause i had heard so much about how "man them banshees are bad mother f***ers, baddest thing ever made haha so i had to buy one. I put a full set of FMF pipes on it, air filter and one of those trinity 2into1 carbs cause i never could get both carbs jetted alike. That thing was a blast to pull up to a mountain side hill and just mash it. but at that time i rode alot of tight trails and man it beat me to death and was a gas hog. i took it to hatfield mccoy and barely made it to the next town to get gas again. i wanted to get into mx and the shee was what i had at the time. Man oh man that was not the quad to start out on. and yeah it was all stock suspension wise. Now that im racin at a pro/a-class level(Locally that is) i look back many times and laugh at how ppl prolly looked at me on that banshee and said "that boy dont have a chance" haha. im not bashing them im just sayin if you dont like to climb hills and like ride trails i wouldnt reccommend a shee. And if you trail ride alot it sucks when you cant just pull up to the gas pump on the way to the trails fill up and drive off.

Tubsy
03-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
yet to see a good rider on a banshee huh?
This guys cliff jumps are insane:eek2:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5988362560177735610&q=banshee&total=10935&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6518540638657462757&q=DMCBanshee&total=27&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

^^ Yeah i ride with him sometimes at the same pit..he ditched the banshee though =[ he got an 08 ltr 450..

Hondamaster5505
03-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Tubsy
^^ Yeah i ride with him sometimes at the same pit..he ditched the banshee though =[ he got an 08 ltr 450..

are you serious!?!?! He gave banshees such a good name. He was good on that banshee

Mxjunkie
03-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Mike lucas use to race banshee's in the d-6 races around here in A class. It can be done but like others stated its one rough ride lol.

TheNewn
04-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Pretty sure a Banshee just won the 2007 Dekar...

Ruby Soho
04-11-2008, 06:50 PM
the way i see it is a banshee is a great quad for what its meant for

why buy one and have to build it to make it do good in one (or a few) type of riding areas, when you can buy a quad made for that?

its almost like buying a 400ex and making it perform better on the track than a 450r, it can be done, but why? just so you can say it? your alot better off just getting the 450r because its MADE to do that.

my 2 cents..

Dustin075
04-29-2008, 04:54 PM
I am also thinking of trading in the 400ex for a banshee. I do trail riding but also do dune riding and alot of field riding. The trails I ride are not that tight and hilly in illinois. Do you guys think it is a bike for me?

250r4life
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
if youre looking to go 2 stroke, i would go with a honda 250r. they are much more versatile then a banshee, and are right there with it as far dunes... great trail and mx bike...

Hondamaster5505
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
250r's handle a little better, but banshee's will smoke most of them

Dustin075
04-29-2008, 05:55 PM
That is the other reason I want the banshee, for the power. All my friends have 450s. My 400 is bored to a 440, but i want more. I am thinking that i will be happy with it, but i want to see what banshee owens had to say.

TheNewn
04-29-2008, 07:09 PM

A LITTLE better? huh...going fast in a straight line is pretty over rated...never understood the appeal of the 'drag only' bikes...

Tubsy
04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
are you serious!?!?! He gave banshees such a good name. He was good on that banshee

haha yeah he still does the same stuff but i guess nothing too too crazy yet from what ive seen in person prob getting used to the 4 strokers

Hondamaster5505
04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
A LITTLE better? huh...going fast in a straight line is pretty over rated...never understood the appeal of the 'drag only' bikes...

I'm getting really god damn sick and tired of everyone saying that banshee's are only for "straight line" or "drag racing"
:grr:

Most of the people that say this crap never even rode a banshee. They DON'T handle that bad! I actually think they handle pretty decent for what they are. You can rip them around corners without thinking twice, jump them decently depending on the size, and they stay planted on hills really well.

With offset rims, you get rid of that really narrow width, and they feel awesome!

God, if your not satisfied with that, the YFZ450 front end does wonders and is very cheap.

I'll take a banshee with offset rims against a 250r anyday.

250r's are great bikes, no doubt, but they're old and slower then the banshee in most cases. Handling is alright on them, they aren't like gods gift to earth though:rolleyes:

If I really wanted excellent handling with great MX ability, I would buy a 450. For where I ride, coal mines and trails, the banshee handles just fine.

Now, where the banshee does suck, is rocky trails. Its a little stiff there.

Hondamaster5505
04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Dustin075
That is the other reason I want the banshee, for the power. All my friends have 450s. My 400 is bored to a 440, but i want more. I am thinking that i will be happy with it, but i want to see what banshee owens had to say.

Your buddies will out handle you in the trails and track, but once you get to a straight, hill, or rooster hill, they're most likely toast if you pipes yours etc.

TheNewn
04-30-2008, 12:42 AM
I've ridden a banshee, kinda briefly, and i was less than impressed on its handling abilities. It was piped, it was fast, which is all it had going for it.

In my opinion, more can be done, easier and cheaper (most of the time) on a 250R than can be done on a banshee. setting up for different types of ridding that is.

OLD doesnt have a lot to do with it i would think, there are plenty of very nice 250R's out there that dont work any worse because the factory stopped making them in 89. There are also a crap load of parts new and used.

I sure know MY 250R loses 1 horse power, and 1/16th of an inch of suspension travel a year, every year after its production stopped...or something...?

Not as if they updated the Banshee since the early 90's a whole lot anyway.

250r4life
04-30-2008, 02:24 PM

a little better? night and day...

i had my banshee and loved it. it was a great bike! my buddy had a 250r and loved it, and back in 02 when 250rs were bringing all kinds of $ i bought an all original 89 for $2k. i put on a pipe and filter and re-jetted it and what not, and figured worst case if i didnt like it, i could sell it and make a couple grand...

trying to decide which one i wanted to keep, i took them both to the track. i did a couple laps on my 250r, parked it, did a couple laps on my banshee, and parked it the rest of the day... i couldnt beleive how big of a difference there was between the two till i had them side by side. my banshee even had works shocks...

sold my banshee a few months later...

the 250r handles SOOOOOOOO much better than the banshee, and is much more versatile. it has so much more useable power. it has a top end like a 2 stroke should, but also has a bottom and mid, which is completely absent in the banshee...

as far as which is quicker... sure, you can make the banshee quicker, but the quicker you make the banshee the more one dimensional it becomes... you can mod the 250r to be fast, and still ride it everywhere...

250r4life
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Dustin075

here is a stupid question... if youre worried bout keeping up with the 450s, why dont you just get one?

Dustin075
04-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Never said i was worried about keeping up. My 440 keeps up with there stock 450s now. I just want something different and be different. Everyone has 450 it seems like, not to many people have banshees around here let alone out on the trails.

Hondamaster5505
04-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
a little better? night and day...

i had my banshee and loved it. it was a great bike! my buddy had a 250r and loved it, and back in 02 when 250rs were bringing all kinds of $ i bought an all original 89 for $2k. i put on a pipe and filter and re-jetted it and what not, and figured worst case if i didnt like it, i could sell it and make a couple grand...

trying to decide which one i wanted to keep, i took them both to the track. i did a couple laps on my 250r, parked it, did a couple laps on my banshee, and parked it the rest of the day... i couldnt beleive how big of a difference there was between the two till i had them side by side. my banshee even had works shocks...

sold my banshee a few months later...

the 250r handles SOOOOOOOO much better than the banshee, and is much more versatile. it has so much more useable power. it has a top end like a 2 stroke should, but also has a bottom and mid, which is completely absent in the banshee...

as far as which is quicker... sure, you can make the banshee quicker, but the quicker you make the banshee the more one dimensional it becomes... you can mod the 250r to be fast, and still ride it everywhere...

As far as handling, with a YFZ450 front end conversion, it will handle just as good if not better than a 250r. Its dirt cheap too.

With versatility, the banshee's arent that bad. If your a good rider, you can take them anywhere. With good pipes, and a 12-tooth front sprocket, they are great in the trails, yet still rip like hell in the open.

You can get 55-60hp out of a banshee while still be pretty versatile. As long as you got skills.

I would LOVE to add a 250r to my stable. If i were to pick the banshee or 250r though, id pick the banshee.

400exrider989
04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
I have to slightly agree that the banshee doesnt hanlde as good, that is only because the light feature of the 250r, BUT like Hondamaster said, people with banshees dont get past pipes and its only once they do +2+1 a-arms, works shocks and -1 or -2 swingarms when they soon handle real good, who doesnt add a-arms and swingarms to quad no-a-days anyways, i have a banshee, Its awesome for trails, and is a great ALL around atv, for those who like to go fast through the trails and have a challenge, how is something not challenging fun? its like competing in the special olympics when your a professional athlete, its pointless (not to be rude but its just an example).
I have been on more then a few different 450s with different mods only to get dissapointed of the raw power and the un-noticable power band, once again though the banshee was mad for desert racing but it also is good in anything else, and the way people put money into quads these days it eally doesnt matter what you buy, you can mod it for your use, for me its personal preference, i would take a banshee any day and mod it to any type of riding and have a blast, i dont find it tiring at all, but i am alos very fit, (run 2k, and weight lift everyday and spend about 4 hours a day being physical)

Hondamaster5505
04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, with the 450's i've ridden, they weren't what people make them out to be.

Everyone makes these claims "Oh, the 450's love to be screamed and have so much top end" or, "Man, the top end on these is crazy"

All of the 450's i've rode, weren't that impressive. I think they're mainly mid-range and don't have a hard-hitting powerband. They're a little smoother.
They are pretty potent for their size, I will admit, but not nearly the rush the banshee gives.

For everyone that says that 450's have so much top end, I would love to see the look on their face after riding a banshee:eek: :D lol

250r4life
04-30-2008, 06:53 PM
If i were to pick the banshee or 250r though, id pick the banshee.

thats just cuz you dont know any better... :D

i guess i cant fault you for that...

Hondamaster5505
04-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
thats just cuz you dont know any better... :D

i guess i cant fault you for that...

LOL.

But seriously, its because the banshee's can be just as versatile and have such an awesome engine.

No other 2-stroke quad sounds as awesome as the banshee. It just wails. Plus the mid-top is unbeatable.

Dustin075
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Well guys I am saying goodbye to the good old 400ex tomorrow and getting my banshee. 400exrider you have a good point about spending money on your quad to make it into what you want to use it for.

400exrider989
04-30-2008, 10:48 PM
I think you will be happy with it, its a great versitile quad for the beyond average riders that have balls :blah:

and for the odd weekend track rider its not gonna hurt, i would only consider a 450 or 250r if i was on a track 24/7 and actually competed. tight trails are a breeze, like any other quad it takes money and experiments on finding the right tires, gearing etc, its just a little harder to find the perfect one for the banshee, right now i think that 22inch tires with 13/41 gearing is great. post pics when you get one and dont forget to add yourself to bansheehq.com

Dustin075
05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Ok guys i got my banshee! It needs a little tlc. Someone had tried to paints so of the a arms and stuff but did not take them off of the quad so there is over spray all over. The plastic are in great shape. I will post some pics when i get home, and maybe someone can give me some info on some of the things i might need to do and look for.

Hondamaster5505
05-01-2008, 01:26 PM
1) Do a compression check. Should be around 125-130 if it's fresh. The wear limit is 100.

2) Check the gear case oil.

3) Make sure the carbs are clean.

4) Clean the filter.

Check the bolts after every ride. The vibration gets em loose every time.

Dustin075
05-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Well i got it home and tore it down the street and the top end is very lean. The owner before me put ctl drag pipes on it and did not jet it. The pipes are very loud and i want to trade or sell them for toomeys or something. So anyways i tore off the plastic and wash the bike and found some things that made me unhappy. The quad was very mistreated the frame is rusting, there is alot of bolts broken or missing, the steering stem is bent, and the tires are shot. I am think of put up a post for some help. I need to know how the coolant res. is mounted, i need a air box and some other misc nuts and bolts. But all in all I think she will be a nice quad with a little bit of money and time invested. Thanks guys.

250r4life
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM

Check the bolts after every ride. The vibration gets em loose every time.

loctite does wonders... i loctite almost everything...

Dinner
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Compression won't be 125-130 PSI on a stock engine, stock head. I will be around 120 or less depending on elevation.

Hondamaster5505
05-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Dinner
Compression won't be 125-130 PSI on a stock engine, stock head. I will be around 120 or less depending on elevation.

Oh.

Well when we did my dads (shaved head) It came out 132. Just recently they're down to 128 each.

My cousin is running stock head and everything. He just got his rebuilt, and its running 130:eek: It must really be in spec

Fred55
05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Banshees don't handle the greatest, but they do get up and go. After riding my YFZ and LTR, i got on my buddies shee with pipes, tires etc and tried it out on our mx track. Immediately I could notice a ton of bump steer and VERY heavy steering. It deff felt like there was WAY too much weight on the front end. A shorter swing arm should help this a bit. I wouldn't say his motor was faster than mine, but it was very exciting. It wasn't the greatest for MX or racing, but for just playing around and riding in fields etc it would be great.

nazztman4739
06-05-2008, 01:09 PM
i am a banshee owner i have a stroked banshee with 2 + 1 arms and i race through trails every weekend i have only been beat by a 440ex they are fast through the trails on hillclimbs banshees cant be beat and dragging i only been beat by another banshee now mx i wouldnt try that to much unless u work the suspension they are rough rides they are unchanged since 91 new age technoligy isnt with these bikes for sure