PDA

View Full Version : IRS for MX? Help

ds450maniac
02-26-2008, 07:16 PM
I was just wondering if anybody races the 525 IRS in mx or arenacross and if so do they hold up to the beating cause I'm looking to buy a new quad and am getting into racing mx and arenacross, but now I mainly ride trails but once I get my new quad I'll start racing and I'm just wondering if the 525 is or can be made into a mxr. Hope to hear from you guys soon

525 Outlaw Dude
02-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Here's a few links to some Outlaw 525irs videos from youtube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=91KYELn9TNY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MdC84m-VdyI

ds450maniac
02-26-2008, 07:50 PM
thanx 525 dude for the video's. The one video says it would be a bad mxr and the 2nd one the kid is killing it in the dunes and it appeared nothing broke so I dunno. If i get a polaris it will prob be the 525S or the 450mxr

400exrider_ed
02-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Well I'm running a IRS for the same reason's your considering. I do ride alot of rutted trails and its amazing in them, but I still do the mx thing, I spent some money on mods to my IRS but so far am happy with it on the track, its not going to set any A class fires but in B class I ran it bone stock the last race of the season and did just fine, this year it should be better with my mods. They all break parts in time when racing but so far so good, and running NY rock gardens where both bike and quads race the same day/track the IRS has been a advantage in the rutted out sections and in rutted corners it really makes up speed. The IRS is heavier but I dont notice it that much of course running sno-x in the winter Im used to making heavyweights fly. The 525 has all the power you'll need, and the IRS makes off chamber landings much better then a straight axle, so in all its a capable local racer for a guy looking for some fun but its no national or championship bred quad for someone whos gotta win it all. After running modded 450's then buying this quad if I could do a do over I would buy the IRS again. Of course with any Polaris atv be ready for the constant brand badgering from the Jap riders, but get a good race goin and they'll shut up for the most part.

bossman525
02-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider_ed
Well I'm running a IRS for the same reason's your considering. I do ride alot of rutted trails and its amazing in them, but I still do the mx thing, I spent some money on mods to my IRS but so far am happy with it on the track, its not going to set any A class fires but in B class I ran it bone stock the last race of the season and did just fine, this year it should be better with my mods. They all break parts in time when racing but so far so good, and running NY rock gardens where both bike and quads race the same day/track the IRS has been a advantage in the rutted out sections and in rutted corners it really makes up speed. The IRS is heavier but I dont notice it that much of course running sno-x in the winter Im used to making heavyweights fly. The 525 has all the power you'll need, and the IRS makes off chamber landings much better then a straight axle, so in all its a capable local racer for a guy looking for some fun but its no national or championship bred quad for someone whos gotta win it all. After running modded 450's then buying this quad if I could do a do over I would buy the IRS again. Of course with any Polaris atv be ready for the constant brand badgering from the Jap riders, but get a good race goin and they'll shut up for the most part.

very well said. i have been waiting for someone that used to ride something else other than a polaris to actually get on a IRS outlaw and ride it and than say what you just said. it's the guy's that bash the 525 that have never rode and i think are a little jealous

SSJEFF
02-27-2008, 05:14 PM
My buddies quit giving me a hard time after they rode behind me. They almost wrecked watching my suspension working lol. Its a good machine. I am going to use it for a little mx and xc this year but got 18" tires for mx. that makes a big difference I hear. getting thshocks set up for you will help a lot because all the stock shocks do not do well in the woops. It will buck you.

ds450maniac
02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
1st: off WOW 400exrider that is an amzing post and it helps alot to know the info,because it will help me decide when the time comes.

2nd: So I take it that you guys trust the back a-arms to go threw the torcher of mx? cause thats my one and only concern about racing the IRS for mx if I get it and I'd only be doing mx for fun on weekend's but I just need to know if you guys think that the back a-arms can take what an mx track has without snapping the a-arms. ttyl and keep the reply's comin:muscle:

smokinwrench
02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
I do some racing, mainly harescrambles, but hit the mx track when the monster trucks come to town. I have owned my 525 over a year now with zero problems to speak of. Had steering stem bushing replaced under warranty and a couple seat grommets. I pound the crap out of my machine and have no fear of the suspension breaking in anyway, just corrects my nasty landings, I try to air it out a little at the dunes.

Before this machine I owned a 05 Troy Lee Predator, 96 Banshee, 99 400ex, all of them were modded for power. My 525 is 10 times better handling, suspension, and power then all of the others, besides power on the banshee but I couldn't keep it running reliable.

400exrider_ed
02-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Im not to concerned with the rear a-arms, people do have trouble with the sway bars snapping. I also replaced my front wheel bearings up front with Ballz ones as per dealer and this sites tips. I did replace my shocks with FOX Podium X piggybacks rears from a 06 Outlaw IRS fronts from a 08 Outlaw 450mxr and I did a little re-working the valving which makes a big difference. The stock ryde-fxs out back can be re-worked also and contrary to what atv riders think ryde-fx is a well respected shock in the snowmobile business they are just to new in the atv scene. I have used Hiper wheels to widen the rear and have Lonestar 450mxr a-arms up front with 4-1 wheels, Im at 49inches wide good for mx I ran bone stock the first time (46inches)and it was still okay and if your only mx riding occansionally I wouldnt waste the $$ for 3inches of width. Im still tweaking the quad just got it a few months ago, but am liking it alot my other choice when I shopped for new was a LTR450. I'll also say the Outlaws I have rode both the IRS I have and a 450mxr, they have came a long way from the Predator model in comfort and race-ability mx track handling but still have the great trail manners Polaris is the best known for.

02-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Sam like i said on the phone. i was watchin some vids and there were a couple of guys sayin that the irs is nice but not the best thing for mx. I dont no but i would prob say that the straight axle would be better for mx.:devil:

02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
hey sam i thought that u hated polaris'. why do u all of a sudden want one

ds450maniac
02-28-2008, 02:02 PM
ANSWER 1:Nice post 400exrider it helps out alot in helping me decide, but I have to ask an other thing. Is there alot or any aftermarket parts for the 525IRS or does the 525S or MXR stuff fit the same? Like could I get a-arms for the front like you said from a 450MXR and it fits tight as it should cause I'm one of those guys that when I get something I can't stop modding it and I'd like to have aftermarket parts avaliable if I wanted them. And if the only thing that I have to worry about on the IRS is the bearings I'm fine with that. Thanx for the help again.

ANSWER 2: So dallass your just gonna go by what a video says on youtube of a guy that rode the quad for maybe 30 min on the track? Pretty dumb of you dall. And as for you thought that I hated polaris yes that WAS true until they started using the KTM motors, I was a anti-polaris person but now things have changed and I only want one all the sudden because I'm gonna be racing next season with some type of quad and the IRS could be that quad and also so I could kick your A** when I race you. So thur dallass you just got served lol:blah: :cuss:

ds450maniac
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
thanx for the info smokinwrench and nice pic that looks fun. I wish that I lived on the west coast cause around here(PIttsburgh) all it is is mud and snow and crappy weather lol

ds450maniac
02-28-2008, 04:16 PM
don't be made dallass cause u couldn't handle a 525 anyhow lol and guys excuss the kids mouth I know him and he swears like a sailor lol. ALSO do u think that the 525S would make a good mx quad?

02-28-2008, 04:36 PM
hey i can handle it. it'll be like ridin a dirtbike. haha. i dont no i guess thats what everybody else runs. but u would kick *** with irs. i dont know its to hard to debate on.:eek2:

SSJEFF
02-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by ds450maniac
1st: off WOW 400exrider that is an amzing post and it helps alot to know the info,because it will help me decide when the time comes.

2nd: So I take it that you guys trust the back a-arms to go threw the torcher of mx? cause thats my one and only concern about racing the IRS for mx if I get it and I'd only be doing mx for fun on weekend's but I just need to know if you guys think that the back a-arms can take what an mx track has without snapping the a-arms. ttyl and keep the reply's comin:muscle:

Oh yea they will take it. Actually you will like them in off camber landings. You get all tense for the harsh landing and it is like a feather. if you race prep it with dampner, shock tuning and special tires, you may do better than you think. A stiffer rear sway bar may help some also in the turns.

ds450maniac
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM
thanx for the info SSJEFF, that was just was I was wanting to hear:D. Do you know this because you have one and raced it before in mx or do you know somebody that does and thats where you get your info from? Not trying to be rude I'm just trying to get some solid anwser's cause I just wanna make sure that the IRS is the quad for me to race in mx. If you do have a 525 pictures would be nice, just cause I like to look at other people's quads lol

SSJEFF
02-28-2008, 10:47 PM
thanx for the info SSJEFF, that was just was I was wanting to hear:D. Do you know this because you have one and raced it before in mx or do you know somebody that does and thats where you get your info from? Not trying to be rude I'm just trying to get some solid anwser's cause I just wanna make sure that the IRS is the quad for me to race in mx. If you do have a 525 pictures would be nice, just cause I like to look at other people's quads lol

I have had 3 irs's. I did 1 mx race last year. I didn't have the mx tires then though. I have them now and it handles better on the track.

mx
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/07OUTLAW525LE/11dec2007b.jpg
xc
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/357k9iq.jpg

OUTLAWGNCC
02-29-2008, 06:08 AM
OK, here's my opinion on the IRS on MX. I have the 500 from 06 and it seems there is some MX track in the GNCC's. Got tired of not having enough MX skills on that part of the loop. Raced around 20 MX races, 7 during summer break and trophied about 75% of the time. Couldn't race the GNCC series last season, so decided to set up for MX. Got the smaller diameter MX tires, had to go one tooth larger on the counter sprocket. Here's what I think-The smaller tires were the ticket, allowed me to break the rears loose under power and it then hooks up like mad. You must use great body english for sure. My suspension is not stock, still using the Podiums, springed and set up for my weight, just stiffened it up some for jump landings, no problem. Off camber jumps, like a feather, never feel like I have any close calls like on a straight axel. my quad is not stock, closer to what a KTM motor is. Raced straight axel Predator for three years in GNCC, ect. and this IRS has got it beat all over in my opinion. Lot easier on the body also. Back to XC racing, but wouldn't hesitate racing MX with it set up as I stated, can't imagine it with the 525 opened up. Go for it man!

jjd223
02-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Outlaw GNCC,
What tire and wheel combination did you run front and rear when you ran MX?

Thanks

ds450maniac
02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
1st.) SSJEFF that is a really nice quad, thanx for posting some pics with your info.

2nd.) WOW!!! that was another amazing post, OUTLAWGNCC. You answered everything else that I was wondering about. Thanx alot for posting it all and answering my questions plus a little more, your post plus everyone else that posted will help me decide what I will get when its time. I like to hear that you raced MX around 20 times on it and got a trophie 75% of the time. Your post was just what I hoping for, a person that raced the IRS in MX and Won. Thanx again for the info

OUTLAWGNCC
02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I ran 18 inch Holeshot MXR's on the rears and I ran 20 inch MXR's on the fronts. As it was explained to me from one of the local ATV shops that sponsors me is that although the Holeshots are a little more expensive, for as much as I was going to race, they would last me a season. Two sets if I ran like every weekend. I didn't run the whole series, just at selected tracks. Since John Gallager(4 time GNCC champ on the Polaris) is a stablemate of mine out of Bairs/Polaris here in Ohio, we have some really neat, inexpensive ways to help bulletproof our quads to the severe punishment that we inflict on our quads in the GNCC's. PM me with your email addy and I will let you in on some things that we have done. John sells some upgrades also that Polaris is looking at that are the bomb and that I use for XC. Some of it also is a plus for MX also, little added weight. Hope this helps and anyone interested PM me as I can't get it all in this forum reply. Big Chuck.

ds450maniac
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
thanx again outlawgncc and also you guys that race mx with your 525's; do you race in the 450 class? cause my district told me that I couldn't run either 525 in the local 450 races and boy am I mad. And since that is now an issue for me not buying a 525 now, do you guys suggest getting the MXR? Has anyone every raced mx on here with a MXR and if so how'd you do? Cause I'm curious if the MXR can keep up with the other 450's. As always pics and videos would be nice:D

400exrider_ed
03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I find it hard to believe that most local districts are enforcing the 450cc limit. I run some of the most noteable distrcits in my area and unless its a national they do not enforce the cc rule for local level trophy classes. We only have quad A B C and VET no 450 or open classes seperating things.

smokinwrench
03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
ATV Sport Mag had a 450 shoot out last month. Polaris got a close 3rd place after the ktm and Canam. They also said at the end that buy any of the 7 quads and from top to the bottom of the list it was so close it didn't matter and all were good machines. I was very surprised that they talked up the Polaris that well.

ds450maniac
03-04-2008, 09:20 PM
ya I was supprised myself 400exrider about the CC rule but it really made me mad. But I couldn't find anything saying the limits on the CC's in order to race in the 450 class, so I sent an email asking the district and a guy from Cernic's Powersports got back to me and said nope but I'm gonna call the district 2morrow instead of emailing them again and find out for sure but I'll post what I find out. And thanx for the ATV Sport info smokinwrench and ya its supprising me to that these magazines are starting to talk good things about polaris.

TroyLeePred03
03-04-2008, 10:39 PM
ya I was supprised myself 400exrider about the CC rule but it really made me mad. But I couldn't find anything saying the limits on the CC's in order to race in the 450 class, so I sent an email asking the district and a guy from Cernic's Powersports got back to me and said nope but I'm gonna call the district 2morrow instead of emailing them again and find out for sure but I'll post what I find out. And thanx for the ATV Sport info smokinwrench and ya its supprising me to that these magazines are starting to talk good things about polaris.

Why do you think its called the 450 class:rolleyes:

Open class is where the 525 belongs.

I have to race my Predator in open class.

Polaris released the 440 kit for the predators so guys could race legally in the 440/450 clas(originally was 250 then when the 400ex and all the new 4 strokes came out it became the 440 class then they went to the 450 because thats the way the dirtbikes are setup)

Most race circuits/districts all follow the same guidlines.

This is the same and has been the same in atv series across the country for quite some time now....

Here is the class outlines for my local group.

Following the class outlines there are the rules. And all winners are subject to inspections of equipment, width, and DISPLACEMENT!

The limit is the limit. I dont see what you guys are having a hard time understanding?

4 Stroke A
91cc-450cc maximum. All engines used in ATV competition must be production model ATV engines or single cylinder production model motorcycle engines available for sale to the general public. Custom frames are allowed.

4 Stroke B
91-450cc maximum. All engines used in ATV competition must be production model ATV engines or single cylinder production model motorcycle engines available for sale to the general public. Custom frames are allowed.

4 Stroke C
91cc-450cc maximum. All engines used in ATV competition must be production model ATV engines or single cylinder production model motorcycle engines available for sale to the general public. Custom frames are allowed.

Open A
91cc-open. All engines used in ATV competition must be production model ATV engines or single cylinder production model motorcycle engines available for sale to the general public. Custom frames are allowed.

Open B
91cc-open. All engines used in ATV competition must be production model ATV engines or single cylinder production model motorcycle engines available for sale to the general public. Custom frames are allowed.

Open C

Production Stock **
The following may be changed from stock: tires, rims (offset allowed ) Hyper Tech wheels with center hubs included are allowed ,internal portions of the motor and transmission, sprockets, chain, handlebars, steering stem, steering stabilizer, braided brake lines, air filter element, carburetor jetting, internal carburetor modification, front bumper, rear grab bar. Shocks may be re-valved. The relocation of the chain roller accepted. Fenders may be trimmed or after market plastic added. Nerf bars and tether switch required. No other modifications allowed!! No removal of air box lid or any air box modifications at all and no outerwear covers. Stock exhaust must be used and no removal of packing silencer or baffle. No axles, a-arms and no wheel spacers, no aftermarket or bolt pattern changing hubs, no swing arms, Stock shocks and springs must be used and shock in OEM location. All external engine and all drive train parts must be stock including carburetors and all electrical system .This is an open cc class. A different year shock may be used as long as it’s from the same make and model machine. No external OEM performance parts allowed. Top 3 riders in final points standing must move up. An aftermarket axle can be used but it must be stock width.

25+ (age 25+)
91cc-open. Must be 25 years or older to race in this class.

30+ A (age 30+)
91cc-open. Must be 30 years of older to race in this class. All expert and pro riders are allowed in this class.

30+ B/C (age 30+)
91cc-open. Must be 30 years or older to race in this class. Rider must have never competed in any ATV race in a class higher than an amateur level. Top 3 riders in final points standing must move up to 30+A, 25+, 4 stroke amateur or open amateur class.

40+ (age 40+)
91cc-open. Must be 40 years or older to race in this class. No active Open Pro riders can run this class. Open Pro riders must take off one full year before allowed to race 40+.

**For an ATV to eligible for the stock or production classes, the machine must be approved by NEATV-MX, Inc. **

Pro Level (age 16+)

Open Pro-Am *
91cc-open.

Open Pro *
91cc-open.
*To compete as a pro level rider you must meet certain qualifications as shown under classification of riders

EDIT-

AND ALSO why would polaris/ktm go through the trouble of making a 450mx/450xc bike?! just for ****s and giggles?

why are all the race bikes 450's?! because 450 is the limit of the class....

Gee i wonder why a 525 cant race in the 450 class:rolleyes:

SSJEFF
03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
WOW, some are taking this pretty personal....

Anyways, its nice seeing you on BigChuck(OUTLAWGNCC), Haven't seen you on predowners much and I hope all is well.

TroyLeePred03
03-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
WOW, some are taking this pretty personal....

Anyways, its nice seeing you on BigChuck(OUTLAWGNCC), Haven't seen you on predowners much and I hope all is well.

After talking to some it seems a lot of the 450's are actually running the 470 kits. If GNCC changes to 450 limit like they are considering for the 2009 season it will be crazysince most are 470's. The 525 and the 450 look the same and the stickers on the plastics are the only difference besides the shocks which can be interchanged between the 2. I am not saying one should cheat......

Remember the 525 is actually a 510.

And the 450 is actually a 448...

so should we call them YFZ 449's?

Raptor 686's?

What does the 525's actuall displacement have to do with what we are talking about? 525 or 510 is still more than 450 last i checked...

We are talking about guys arguing the fact the CC limit for a 450 class is 450cc?

And then they are wondering why they cant race a 510CC machine in the 450CC limit class?

Gee i wonder why we set limits?

So are you gonna make your quad 55" wide too then complain to your district that you dont get why you cant ride your quad on the track because the rules state clearly it needs to pass through the spanner set for 50"

Am I right or am I wrong here?

Did I miss something?

Im hoping i am saving some poor guy running the local quad racing series the hassle of dealing with some people that dont read or understand rules that everyone else seems to have no problem abiding by?

Yes if your local series isnt filled with entries or your not competing for a championship im sure theyll let some things slide to bring up the numbers in some classes...

But if i were competing in the 450 class and an Open class bike like a modded 525 blows by me and it costs me the championship your damn right i will be and many others will be upset over it.

TroyLeePred03
03-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Yes and you didnt touch on the raptor 686 either. They are labeled at 700's.

Now if you do your math:rolleyes: that is 14CC difference.

There has been bigger differences and smaller differences in all brands. Its just rounding.

And what does the 470 kit have to do with it? If you install a 470 kit your over the limit...

If you have a Predator 500 and install the 440 kit your under the limit .

Now if you can live with being labeled a cheater at your local district races be my guest, or if you want to run the risk of someone finding out your bike isnt what you say it is then have fun. Some of these race districts are full of serious riders, if yours is a weekend warrior club then by all means do whatever you want. But I know NEATV is pretty competative and Im not going to piss someone off because i dont want to follow the rules.

This thread turned into a conversation about people not comprehending 525 is more than 450 and not being able to comprehend rules that were set in place.

And in a novice(C) class a better rider on a 525IRS could very well beat a YFZ450, TRX450, KTM450, etc of a less experience rider....novice/intermediate classes anything could happen really and peoples skills are extremely varried

bossman525
03-05-2008, 06:37 AM
wow, did you have alot on your chest or what?? that was a pretty good rant there dude.

ds450maniac
03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
jez o man TroyLeePred03, them are some useful posts and ya you do sound like you were mad and needed to let it out lol. Anyhow thanx and you answered my questions I wasn't sure about and my stupid district wouldn't get back to me on.

OUTLAWGNCC
03-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Wow, what a can of worms. SSJeff, been working ALOT this past year with a new company, had to sit it out on the GNCC's last and and this year. Building a big shop, not enough $$ and time to do the series this year, BUT in 09, I will be running the whole series. Everything is well, got to make the money when I can. Everything good with you? Later, Big Chuck.

400exrider_ed
03-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Like I stated we only have these atv classes A B C VET no cc max only minimum of 200cc We are talking about racing for some 9 dollar plastic trophies here not the National title some guys get all bent for a lousy trophy class you make me laugh you need one that bad I got a attic full of them thats falling apart. If your districts stating a production or 450 rule good for them if they get enough quads to nit-pic we get tons of C class and a gate of B barely enough to full A and VET, and guys run Blasters all the way till Raptors here its local weekend racing not the nationals.

ds450maniac
03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
ya thats what I think TroyLeePred03 is thinking but idk. I found out that my district has a quad A B C but I haven't found out if I can race the 525 in it yet cause the idiots from the district won't get back to me.