PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw Pros Vs. Cons

LT250_JOE
02-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Alright: The OUTLAW has been out long enough, lets hear it.

What do you Like/Dislike.

willb
02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Plush Ride

Dislikes:
Every Fastner known to man to tear it apart.
Weather Keeping me from riding it.

somewon
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
great power, smooth ride, SS brake lines, hydrolic clutch, squishy seat,

Dislikes:

shouldn't have bought such an early production unit. need to bring a big tool box to do much (metric, standard, and those dang star heads). Oh yeah, the throttle on mine stuck at WOT.

All in all I love my outlaw and would buy another one.

#17TBoneRacing
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM

Dislikes: The fact that I am not 15 anymore and try to ride like I am when I get on the quad.

LT250_JOE
03-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Likes: Hydraulic clutch, Brakes, IRS, reverse, dont have to mix fuel/oil, KTM power, and most of all the waranty factor!!! Polaris's waranty/ support of this product is great. Had some issues but they have stepped up and taken the heat.

Dislikes: rear shocks, monthly payments.

bossman525
03-23-2008, 08:22 PM
likes: awesome power, comfortable ride, great ground clearance when your ripping around in the mountains, carb is easy to jet, extended warranty and dealer support were i bought it.

dislikes: factory bars sit to low, aftermarket parts availabilty (it's getting better but could be better) throttle is a little stiff but no biggie, sometimes wish it had that 6th gear, but like the reverse better.

bottom line is that after having back surgery i will never buy a SA again. and after this quad wears out it will be another IRS outlaw in the garage

ojcool
03-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by bossman525
likes: awesome power, comfortable ride, great ground clearance when your ripping around in the mountains, carb is easy to jet, extended warranty and dealer support were i bought it.

dislikes: factory bars sit to low, aftermarket parts availabilty (it's getting better but could be better) throttle is a little stiff but no biggie, sometimes wish it had that 6th gear, but like the reverse better.

bottom line is that after having back surgery i will never buy a SA again. and after this quad wears out it will be another IRS outlaw in the garage

You don't like that throttle pull, try riding a banshee it's easily twice as hard and their throttles LOVE to stick when the carbs get wet.

Easy to adjust shock preload by hand.
Bodystyle just looks cool
decent factory tire
525 KTM powerplant still impresses me daily
Simple, effective parking brake.
Easy to get into reverse
Wheelies like no other
comfortable seat
roomy ergonomic design for taller people 5'11" 225lbs

Dislikes: KTM on Polaris causes some issues with the airbox design and no aftermarket solution yet.
Single piece brake and clutch levers (expensive to replace and no aftermarket options)
Same fastener complaint as everyone else
Ride FX shocks are not stellar (would have preferred the FOX shocks they used to use)
handlebars
KTM on Polaris causes issues with getting parts
Two oil filters two screens = too much crap to do an oil change.

SSJEFF
03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Dislikes: KTM on Polaris causes some issues with the airbox design and no aftermarket solution yet.

Single piece brake and clutch levers (expensive to replace and no aftermarket options)

KTM on Polaris causes issues with getting parts
Two oil filters two screens = too much crap to do an oil change.

I am not dure why you do not like the IRS air box, I thought it was pretty big compared to others and the SRA.

As for the clutch lever, you can get a asv lever. Nothing for the brake though unless you change the master cylender.

You don't have to replace the screens when doing a filter change. The manual calls for blowing them off with pressurised air. I only change the filters every other oil change.

ojcool
03-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
I am not dure why you do not like the IRS air box, I thought it was pretty big compared to others and the SRA.

As for the clutch lever, you can get a asv lever. Nothing for the brake though unless you change the master cylender.

You don't have to replace the screens when doing a filter change. The manual calls for blowing them off with pressurised air. I only change the filters every other oil change.

Well, didn't replace the screens I just ment that there is allot of stuff involved with an oil change.

The airbox design isn't the size problem. You have to admit that the intake boot is a pretty bad design. Due to the angle of the carb on the KTM engine they had to kind of rig up the intake boot to fit onto the airbox, I think a better one could be designed with a mandrel bend. IMO the boot appears to have a significant restriction before it enlarges.

SSJEFF
03-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by ojcool
Well, didn't replace the screens I just ment that there is allot of stuff involved with an oil change.

The airbox design isn't the size problem. You have to admit that the intake boot is a pretty bad design. Due to the angle of the carb on the KTM engine they had to kind of rig up the intake boot to fit onto the airbox, I think a better one could be designed with a mandrel bend. IMO the boot appears to have a significant restriction before it enlarges.

I know what you mean but it is a lot better than other I have seen. You do have to admit that it has a very large opening to the filter side of the boot. I was happy with it compared to the 500 outlaw box/boot.

525outlawrider
03-30-2008, 06:31 PM
IRS -great for old fat boys that want to ride w/ son that races
traction is unreal , this bike hooks up in sugar sand .
comfort is great for a sport

Dislikes
the seat latch SUCKS BALLS !

HYDRAULIC CLUTCH ONLY LASTS 60-100 HOURS - i have had to replace the master and the slave -MAGURA SUCKS

this bike cannot take M/X punishment - i have had to replace the front wheel bearings twice , the steering links once and the steering stem all before 100 hrs .

this bike is 9 months old and has had 4 safety recalls --- all after i experienced the "problem"

THERE ARE ALMOST NO AFTERMARKET PARTS

IN THE 9 1/2 MONTHS I OWNED IT , IT HAS BEEN "WAITING FOR PARTS " 4 1/2 MONTHS

WHEN THE BIKE RUNS --- I LOVE IT ! I JUST THINK THAT A $9,000.00 BIKE SHOULD RUN MORE THAN 1/2 OF THE TIME YOU OWN IT . WHEN WE TRAIL RIDE OR HARE SCRAMBLE THE BIKE IS INCREDIBLE . EVERY TIME IT HITS A MOTOCROSS TRACK IT BREAKS . I GAVE UP AND BOUGHT AN LTR FOR RACING .IN THE 9 1/2 MONTHS THAT I HAVE OWNED IT , i HAVE SPENT OVER $8,000.00 IN REPLACEMENT PARTS --- GOOD FOR POLARIS -- BAD FOR ME .
TOMMY

ojcool
03-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I know what you mean but it is a lot better than other I have seen. You do have to admit that it has a very large opening to the filter side of the boot. I was happy with it compared to the 500 outlaw box/boot.
Well, I think I'm going to go ahead and agree with you after I was working on my neighbors Predator 500. THAT is the worst air box design I have EVER seen. There has to be 10 horsepower in changing that setup. Not only does it have a tiny hole to feed a very large carb, but they added a couple feet of plastic tubing to make it breathe from up by the handlebars. I mean if you were planning on spending 90% of your time in the mud and water. But then why the hell would by buy a sport quad?

SSJEFF
03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
You paid $9000 for it? I have only heard of 2 recalls. You are the first with the magura clutch to go bad that I have heard of. I agree about the steering components though. If you have the aluminum center link and non gusseted tabs on the stem it won't last.

Originally posted by 525outlawrider
IRS -great for old fat boys that want to ride w/ son that races
traction is unreal , this bike hooks up in sugar sand .
comfort is great for a sport

Dislikes
the seat latch SUCKS BALLS !

HYDRAULIC CLUTCH ONLY LASTS 60-100 HOURS - i have had to replace the master and the slave -MAGURA SUCKS

this bike cannot take M/X punishment - i have had to replace the front wheel bearings twice , the steering links once and the steering stem all before 100 hrs .

this bike is 9 months old and has had 4 safety recalls --- all after i experienced the "problem"

THERE ARE ALMOST NO AFTERMARKET PARTS

WHEN THE BIKE RUNS --- I LOVE IT ! I JUST THINK THAT A $9,000.00 BIKE SHOULD RUN MORE THAN 1/2 OF THE TIME YOU OWN IT . WHEN WE TRAIL RIDE OR HARE SCRAMBLE THE BIKE IS INCREDIBLE . EVERY TIME IT HITS A MOTOCROSS TRACK IT BREAKS . I GAVE UP AND BOUGHT AN LTR FOR RACING .IN THE 9 1/2 MONTHS THAT I HAVE OWNED IT , i HAVE SPENT OVER $8,000.00 IN REPLACEMENT PARTS --- GOOD FOR POLARIS -- BAD FOR ME .
TOMMY

ojcool
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
You paid $9000 for it? I have only heard of 2 recalls. You are the first with the magura clutch to go bad that I have heard of. I agree about the steering components though. If you have the aluminum center link and non gusseted tabs on the stem it won't last.

Could you expand on this. Are there two different stems that have been used though the model years? Or is this an aftermarket part?

I know about the sprocket bolt recall, but what is the other one?

sleddog66
03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Fuel tank recall

SSJEFF
03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
fiel tank and rear irs sprocket. Thats all though.

SSJEFF
03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Could you expand on this. Are there two different stems that have been used though the model years? Or is this an aftermarket part?

I know about the sprocket bolt recall, but what is the other one?

Yes there are 2 different stems. The 06 500 came with a stem that had no gussets on the steering tabs and an aluminum center link while the 07's came out with the gusseted steering tabs and a steal center link.

LT250_JOE
04-01-2008, 05:28 PM

TOMMY [/B]

I agree, I've had mine 12 months and its been in the shop 2. Supposed to go riding this sunday, I'll probably be taking the Suzuki. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if the Polaris is going to make it or not.

525outlawrider
04-01-2008, 08:48 PM
O.k. ,
I believe that the first recall was the gas tank , the second was the ICM or PCM or something ,the third was the sprocket and the fourth was something i had never heard of , some lawyer asked me if i knew about it . i had not he is supposedly sending me info on this --- we will see .

OutlawBill
04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
only two recalls on the Outlaw; gas tank and sprocket

525outlawrider
04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
As for the $9000.00
$7399.00 bike
$ 250.00 dealer fees
$ 400.00 freight
$ 550.00 Taxes
$ 300.00 nerf bars
$ 8899.00

I call that $9000.00

then :
$ 800.00 wheels and tires
$ 525.00 HMF exhaust
$ 210.00 polish exhaust
$ 135.00 ceramic coat header pipe
$ 300.00 invisionworks graphics package
ETC ..ETC ............
Magura system -twice
carb issues
air filter issues
bent front spindle
all 4 front wheel bearings
front brake master cylinder
front steering joints
back brakes
front brake caliper
battery
seat comes off during races
ETC...ETC...

525outlawrider
04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
maybe only 2 recalls on the 500 outlaw -
i know there are 3 on my 525(ktm) and this lawyer out west says that another is coming .. we will see .

OutlawBill
04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
only two recalls on the Outlaw one for the 525 gas tank and all Outlaws on the sprocket that is it for now.

ojcool
04-01-2008, 10:03 PM
As for the $9000.00
$7399.00 bike
$ 250.00 dealer fees
$ 400.00 freight
$ 550.00 Taxes
$ 300.00 nerf bars
$ 8899.00

I call that $9000.00

then :
$ 800.00 wheels and tires
$ 525.00 HMF exhaust
$ 210.00 polish exhaust
$ 135.00 ceramic coat header pipe
$ 300.00 invisionworks graphics package
ETC ..ETC ............
Magura system -twice
carb issues
air filter issues
bent front spindle
all 4 front wheel bearings
front brake master cylinder
front steering joints
back brakes
front brake caliper
battery
seat comes off during races
ETC...ETC...
Mine has a cotter pin on the seat latch that keeps the seat from coming off, I assume yours does not?

bossman525
04-02-2008, 06:33 AM
2 recalls. fuel tank and sprocket. are you sure this lawyer of yours isn't one of those morons u see on tv about atv accidents and roll overs...lol and by the way looking at your price list there it looks to me like you robbed on alot of stuff

Evasiveone
04-02-2008, 07:34 AM
As for the $9000.00
$7399.00 bike
$ 250.00 dealer fees
$ 400.00 freight
$ 550.00 Taxes
$ 300.00 nerf bars
$ 8899.00

I call that $9000.00

Man, they saw you coming!!!!

You paid $100 more than MSRP plus outlandish dealer fees and a freight fee:confused: I have never paid a freight fee on a new quad, it is part of the MSRP, or at least should be by an honest dealer.

SSJEFF
04-02-2008, 08:30 AM
I paid 6400 out the door on an 07 525 LE. That was with the 2 year warranty and 1 year same as cash. I could have gone 6000 OTD but wouldn't get 1 year same as cash.

Wow. Thats a lot of fees.

bossman525
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
maybe i'm a little naive, but these quads were intended for fast trail riding not all out racing. now i dont know how much or hard you race, but all the problems you have had seem to be from that. i dont think anyone on here has had the problems you have had, but bottom line is that it sucks and i feel bad for you with all thses problems. what i'm trying to say is that i fast trail ride and ride in the dunes and i have'nt had near the problems you have had, haven't had any problems at all. i guess if you race a quad and you don't strengthen or put better suspension parts on then what came from the factory i would think your asking for trouble. maybe i'm wrong

SSJEFF
04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
This guy must have gotten a lemon. I have never heard of so many problems myself. There are tons of outlaw owners on predatorowners and none of them have had some of these problems. I have posted a thread on the outlaw problems and have kept track of almost all of the problems that have been brought up. It is in our how to section "Things to Look Out for on the Outlaw"

525outlawrider
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
O.K -
I got the first one that hit the ground in florida , had to pay extra freight to get it -- i was on the waiting list for over 1 year - it was what i wanted - there were 3 people that wanted it! it cost me to get it --- oh well , everything costs money
According to polaris , mine is involved in the ICM "issue" which mine failed .
the lawyer wants me sign a class action against polaris ,, I am not sure that i have the time or patience to deal with that .
I currently own 8 polaris bikes --- after the way they have treated me , they will all be sold by 2009 . I will cut my losses and find another dealer /manufacturer combo .(suzuki wants me)
As to my racing ,, You dont win by being "nice " to a bike , I am rough , but I exceed the maint reccommended .I personnally repack all of my shocks every 4 races . and i usually pass 2-3 bikes through the whoopps and a few on the doubles and tabletops .

willb
04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I would say, try something else.

I have never heard that many issues but, if you say is true about your riding and hours. Then it comes down to simple wear and tear which no one is going to pay you for. With your signature I would have to say that you are somewhat mechanically inclined at the least.

If you drive anything hard enough, it will show its weak points.

I love the seat latch of the 08's but some of the moto guys are breaking them. I think SSjeff shared that with us. No stock shock is built to handle race settings. They are only built to satisfy the majority and fit a price point.

My dad told me a long time ago. "Toys are 90% work, 10% enjoyment, unless you enjoy working on them too."

I love to tinker that is just me....

ojcool
04-04-2008, 06:48 PM
well, mine need a starter now too. Just to add to the list of problems I have had. But thats a KTM issue not polaris. Still all in all, Its a high performance bike, if I wanted a bike that ran all the time but was slow I would buy a Honda.

ojcool
04-05-2008, 01:55 PM
well, mine need a starter now too. Just to add to the list of problems I have had. But thats a KTM issue not polaris. Still all in all, Its a high performance bike, if I wanted a bike that ran all the time but was slow I would buy a Honda. BTW, does anyone know what the standard warranty is on this bike? I can't find a price on a replacement starter but I can't imagine it's going to be cheap. I'll tell you this, I have about 6 hours total on this bike. It has had multiple problems all manufacturing defects and I'm going to throw the biggest stink my dealer has ever witnessed if they try to charge me for it. I'm the type of person that would prefer to work on the bike myself instead of take it somewhere even if it's covered under warranty but I am pretty much at the point now where I'm just going to drop it off and say "it's your headache now, fix it". The major problems IMO are all related to putting the KTM engine on the Polaris frame this kind of stuff is pretty typical of that kind of thing and I knew that going in but I'm just kind of tired of screwing with it all the time and I'm getting to where I don't trust it to run on a trip. The banshee always runs....

outlawjeff
04-05-2008, 06:13 PM
i believe it is a 6 month warranty, but could be a year not sure though, i would call the dealership you bought it from and ask.

LT250_JOE
04-05-2008, 07:38 PM
O.K -
According to polaris , mine is involved in the ICM "issue" which mine failed .
the lawyer wants me sign a class action against polaris ,, I am not sure that i have the time or patience to deal with that .

What exactly is the mysterious "ICM issue???
I have a very early production model and only recieved a recall for gas tank and recently rear sprocket.

sleddog66
04-06-2008, 05:47 AM
ojcool, standard warrenty is 6 mo. (like jeff said)