PDA

View Full Version : Why get fronts?

ChEX
11-19-2002, 09:42 AM
I have a lot of thinking and planning to do in the off season up here in Michigan (God's gift to the USA). I have geckos out back now for silver, but what are the benefits of front, lets say shark fins? I only drag and hit the big dunes.

CHAUNCY
11-19-2002, 09:52 AM
I think it makes it easier to turn. Not sure though.

Str8Wicked
11-19-2002, 10:27 AM
Easier turning is right. Plus they just look badass.

The fins, which look like a doted line in the center are good for turning.

The ones with the straight line running through the center are better for turning but can be to much for a light rider.

The ones that are totally flat are for straight drags...

I have the shark fins style on mine and love it. The straight line ones seem to turn very sharp inm the sand. They are probably better for a bery very aggresive rider or a heavier rider.

WyoDuner
11-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Yep, what they said plus... You can get less sand thrown up from your front sand tire than from knobbies.

Yes, they look cool too.

airheadedduner
11-19-2002, 06:36 PM
They handle so much better. They float over the sand instead of digging like dirt tires do.

11-19-2002, 07:20 PM
all of those reasons these guys said, all i do it ride dunes, and hit the trails periodically.

QuadJunkies
11-20-2002, 08:43 AM
I dont see too many people use them,why do you suppose thatsi? So will this hwlp me alot on my 300ex? which would you reccomend for me guys??I may get a set this spring...:)

Str8Wicked
11-20-2002, 10:09 AM
Well it will help a little. A lot of people are just cheap and don't wanna spend the money. I think they look mean more than anything... If you feel you don't need them don't waste the money I guess. As long as you have your rears it will be fine...

AndrewRRR
11-20-2002, 08:28 PM
I have Skat Trak Mohawks and they are all I'll ever buy. I have seen the GBC shark fins, they are cheaper than the mohawks and VERY hard (like plastic hard). The mohawks are better IMO.

airheadedduner
11-21-2002, 05:35 PM
It will help quite a bit. If you turn hard with dirt tires they dig and the front sticks, not the way to go in the sand. Front sand tires let the front slide over the sand and make steering smoother. It reduces steering effort a lot. I have Mohawks too, I think they are the best. The strait unbroken ribbed fronts tend to grab ruts.

Str8Wicked
11-21-2002, 07:42 PM
I have Skat Trak Mohawks and they are all I'll ever buy. I have seen the GBC shark fins, they are cheaper than the mohawks and VERY hard (like plastic hard). The mohawks are better IMO.

I have the fin style tires.. they are Skat trak made thou... I just wasn't sure if the mohawk's were the single line or straight line...... Still don't know?

I love my Skat Traks as well

airheadedduner
11-22-2002, 12:06 AM
Mohawks have the broken up rib pattern.

Str8Wicked
11-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Yeah those are the ones I got... What do they call the ones with the straight through line.

AndrewRRR
11-22-2002, 01:07 PM
There are a few different names. Dune tracker, razorback, etc. As far as I'm aware Skat trak just makes the mohawks and smooth buffs.

josh
11-22-2002, 06:29 PM
everything they said and they also weigh a lot less, another advantage for performance and control in the sand, my dad borrowed some from his friend on his warrior one time and it really made it feel better than last time, bike get's up hills a little easier and turns much smoother and they don't weigh you down and drag when nailing those big hills, sure could notice a difference when we hit compittition hill, he beat me that time:eek:

airheadedduner
11-23-2002, 02:28 PM
I also noticed it is much easier to wheelie with sand fronts cause of the weight difference.