PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil and wet clutch ?

tri5ron
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
A friend of mine who is much more experienced with Quads told me that it is not a good idea to use a full synthetic oil due to it will cause the wet clutch to slip.

any experience or opinions on this?

drew416ex
02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
As long as it is for motorcycles/atvs and wet clutch safe, you are ok. It should say it on the bottle somewhere, if it doesnt, it probably isnt.

bdtoady22
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
when i bought my 400 the used full valvoline synthetic i drained it and changed back to castrol 10-40. i havent had any problems so far and hope i dont ive always heard that it is too good of a lubricant and does in fact cause the clutches to slip. as for mine time will tell

02-26-2008, 06:53 PM
as long as the oil says "4-Stroke Motorcycle" on it, it will be fine to use. Synthetic is so much better than regular oil. Better lubricating, disapates heat better, you will feel a bit quicker revs because the parts have less friction. As long as it is for 4 stroke motorcycles it will be perfectly fine for your clutch. I only used to use synthetic until I started getting lowerand lower on cash and I cant afford a lot right now :/

NacsMXer
02-26-2008, 07:30 PM
It's not always the case that you can't run full synthetic other than ATV/Motorcycle full synthetic.

You can run full syn made for cars/trucks, but it can't contain molybdenum disulfide. This is thought to be a friction modifier that causes the clutch slipping issues.

For instance a while ago, I used to run Mobil 1 red cap 15w50 (geared towards high performance cars). I also run Shell Rotella T full syn 5w40 on a regular basis (HD oil geared towards trucks). Motor runs clean and smooth either way, I won't run anything less than full syn unless i'm breaking it in.