PDA

View Full Version : 05 450R Radiator Leak

redrider03
02-26-2008, 09:11 AM
I have a 05 450R and the radiator is leaking where the cooling fins connect to the top of the radiator. Anybody else run into this problem? Is there anyway to fix this? I have a frozen county marsh in my backyard and the season is almost over. Any help is appreciated!

Scro
02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
The make some stuff specifically for stopping small radiator leaks. You can pick it up at any auto store. Believe it or not, pepper will do the same thing if you are in the need for a quick fix!

wykyd450R
02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Take it off and get a radiator shop to repair it the right way. They will either solder it, or put some special type of epoxy on it. I had it done to my Z, and it was like 20-25 bucks.

bloodmoney23
02-26-2008, 08:02 PM
i could just sell you a used radiator w/o leaks for 25+shipping.

redrider03
02-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Now the stuff that you put in the radiator, will that gum up the motor/ radiator over time?

Blood money, Do you have pics of the used radiator?

wykyd450R, did your radiator leak like mine did?

Thanks guys, appreciate all the help!

the Z Man
02-27-2008, 08:24 AM
DO NOT PUT the stuff in your radiator, it will mess things up!!!
For emergencys use an egg, put it in cool and let it heat up..
Other wise have it repaired, mine did the same thing, there must be a weak spot up top... I used an egg until I got home then had it fixed, its only 20 bucks.
If you don't buy the other one I will take it for a spare.

redrider03
02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
See, That's what I thought. I had afriend say that when we were out riding, but I wasn't about to dump something in there that I wasn't sure of. Where did you here to put a egg in there? Never heard that one before, intresting... Thanks Z Man

Rippin450R
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Pretty much every 450r rad will do that over time.. More so if you ride hard! Just buy a new one or spend on the oversized or it will happen again and again. I have 5 sittin at my shop now that all leak like helll!

wykyd450R
02-27-2008, 11:10 AM
I had a stick run thru my radiator, and the shop fixed it. The egg trick is tried and true. The heat more less hardens/cooks the egg which plugs up the leaks as the egg tries to pass thru the leak. Like said above, dont put that stop leak garbage in there.

bloodmoney23
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by redrider03
Now the stuff that you put in the radiator, will that gum up the motor/ radiator over time?

Blood money, Do you have pics of the used radiator?

wykyd450R, did your radiator leak like mine did?

Thanks guys, appreciate all the help!

PM sent and yes i accept paypal if you want it. If they cant fix it with a patch or anything of that nature just get a different one. DO NOT run any kind of stop leak through the radiator. It will end up jacking up your water pump and everything and start to eat away at some of the internal on your bike. If you dont want my old one then I would def pick up a new stock or like Rippin said an oversized. They are expensive but as an owner of a fluidyne, they are very nice and proficient.