PDA

View Full Version : what to know about first time racing?

450raider
02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
yep as it sounds im wanting to do some racing either this spring or summer with either my R or kfx (hell maybe even the mighty ex if i feel like it) for the first time, but what all would someone like me need to know? well i guess first means first is there a website that has the closest circuit in my area (around knoxville TN in case someone already knows a place) and now what all would i need? like what are some requirements i seem to remember reading before all you need most of the time is killswitch and nerfbars, and im keeping whichever one i decide to use stock for weekend trail ridin reliability so i dont care about performance stuff im just looking to try it and see if i suck or not just for fun.

thanks for input

chadbarger18
02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
im over in west TN but all thats required is a kill switch, nerfs, and just normal gear. theres a website midsouthmx.com idk if there would be anything on there around you but its worth a shot

Flyin-Low
02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Don't just try it out to see if you suck or not, because you will! As with everything, it takes time and practice to become decent. Give it atleast a few good tries before you decide.

My only advice is to not be afraid, but just don't ride way over your head.

dustin_j
02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
My suggestion for your first time is: don't go out expecting to win, just try to gain experience. If it's motocross, I'd recommend not going for the holeshot on your first race, just hang back and see how everybody goes for the first corner and avoid any wrecks. Also, let people pass you who are faster, and then try to keep up with them. Watch what the better riders do and learn from it.

I agree with flyin-low, don't ride over your head (meaning only do what you know you can). Good luck and have fun!

54warrior
02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
^^^What they said!!! Just try to relax and have fun. I've seen people (self included) that are decent riders go out their first time and completely stink it up because of nerves, too high of expectations for themselves, etc., etc.,

Take their advice and just hang back and take it all in, see what the other folks are doing for the first lap or so, then once you're feeling more comfy, let 'er rip.

450raider
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
hang back and watch the pros, ok all that seems doable but one thing that confuses me a bit is like sponsors and stuff do you need any to race? and i also hear people talking of rider or factory contingencies and while im not %100 sure what it even is, will it affect me? i dont think it would, but i didnt think it would hurt to ask

ZSNOW
02-26-2008, 01:00 PM
factory contiginsee(sorry i suck at spelling) is when you ride there quad you get money for it. for example in my series the top three kawis get cash. and sponsers you don't need and don't want if your only going to try it once. if you were goin to race for a whole season then sponsers are worth it to save you a lil extra cash.

id say probably go watch a race then decide if you wanna try it. you could end up HATING it because you werent ready for it and just jumped in.