PDA

View Full Version : 250r for trail ridding?

tapper1823
02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Im in the market for a new quad and i hear good things about the 250r's. Im wondering if there good trail machines and if there reliable? I ride some open trails sharp corners sand, gravel, hard pack, and maybe some mx tracks. oh and i plan on taking some trips to some dunes. im thinking of getting a raptor 660 but im interested in the 250r's what do you guys think?

deathman53
02-25-2008, 07:01 PM
a 250r will do circles around a raptor in trails or just about anywhere. A 250r setup for woods(I kicked *** on a nearly stock 250r) will lead most bikes. Just make sure its setup right for woods or stock(fat chance) and NOT a high rev pipe, porting and carb, it will be hard to ride in the woods a high revving setup.

danhung11
02-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I could see comparing a 4-stroke like a 400EX | 450R vs. 250R, but Raptor??? Come on man! No comparison!

I wouldn't even consider putting a raptor on a MX track... we use to call my buddies a "Too Tall Paul" and top heavy.

Go with a TRX250R! You will love it. When you say reliable, anything is as reliable as you make it. Most R fans try to get the most out of their R, but at the same time rebuild them just fun.

The R gives you that little kid feeling again. It's a rush! Especially in the dunes! :devil:

I hope I helped with your decision. Ride Red!

By the way, I have had a 2002 TRX400EX, 2005 TRX450R, and TRX250R's. The 4-strokes are gone except for a 1978 ATC70 and a 2004CRF50 that is fully aftermarket.

beobe99
02-26-2008, 05:13 AM
I of course agree with whats said above. The raptor 660 was the hot stuff when they first came out but it was VERY soon after that everyone realized it was a moose, top heavy, and a herky jerky throttle responce. Ive riden both the 660 and a 250R in the same day while out riding. Took the 660 for a ride and it was ok. switch back to the 250R made me feel like a Pro once I got on it. I felt like i could flick it anywhere i wanted.

(it was like running with boots then switching to sneakers)

With setting the 250R up being able to mess with the gearing, pipes, suspension, and porting to me makes it one of the most universal quads out..... STILL.... You'll meet guys on here that stricky run MX, and ones that run dunes, or woods(me), or whatever. You'll even meet guys that just like building them (me again). The 250r has such a cult following for so many reasons.

Raptor 660 was cool for a year or two when they came out because of engine size only (which doesnt even produce much power)

As for reliable theres guys still running the same top end from 86 (i wouldnt but its been done). Rebuilding the top end of a two stroke is cake work when or if it needs to be done.

Check out the picture thread for the 250r in here.. if that doesnt get your blood flowing nothing will.

TANNER250r
02-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi what part of Minnesota are you from? I love the 250r for trail riding and mine was 100% stock. I can pull on a lot of my friends in the woods. But i think a pipe will help.

tapper1823
02-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Im from Rosemount, thats right next to eagan. I guess the only thing holing me back is finding one thats in good shape for around 2,000 is that possible?

chris46250r
02-26-2008, 01:00 PM
There is a nice looking one in the for sale section right now. trx250r ryder has it.

beobe99
02-26-2008, 01:00 PM
finding one for around 2k in good shape i think IS possible. Remember though with any used quad it may need little things here and there to be perfect.

If your ready to buy be sure to check the forsale forums in here for some R's, check ebay of course, and craigslist.com.

I would also make a new post in this section saying "I have 2k who will sell me there R" it usualy brings out alot of guys to lazy to look for a buyer or will make some guys consider selling theres that wernt even thinking about it.

Be sure to ask if the frame has any bends, cracks, or repairs (not VERY common but happens), ask condition of all seals and bearings, and last but not least if theres any cracks or repairs to the engine cases.

tapper1823
02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
There is a nice looking one in the for sale section right now. trx250r ryder has it.

I sent him an email about it. thats a pretty nice looking quad. hope he would be willing to meet halfway

wilkin250r
02-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by beobe99
(it was like running with boots then switching to sneakers)

That's a really good analogy.

j28d
02-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Get a low-mid port, a esr trx 6 pipe, and +1 a-arms and it's a great woods bike. I don't know how wide the trails are aroud you, but I run +3 lt a-arms, +2 swinger, +2+4 axle with elka elite suspension and love it for a trail bike. I just got a 330 ct prox motor, but I had a all-around port 265 jug with a trx 5 pipe and it worked great everywhere. If you ride mainly tight trails, the trx 6 and a 310 kit with high compression for more torque would probably be your best bet. I don't know what you weigh, but I'd get a gusset kit from bare performance off ebay first thing and gusset the frame( I broke 3 stock frames before switching to a laegers but I'm 250 lbs and very aggressive). You should be able to find a nice R for 2000, watch ebay or your local craigslist.org ads(if you're by the twin cities there is all kinds of stuff all the time on there).