View Full Version : 440 wont start

EXinMB
02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
i know theres probly a million threads bout this but here goes anyway. i know i dont have all the stuff that i should but my budget kinda got cut in half so this is wat i got for now but i do need some tips on how to get it running right

i just rebuilt my '02 ex with a wiseco 12.5 comp piston kit, and hot cam stg. 2 cam. i haven ported the head but i cleaned it up like got rid of carbon and smoothed out the welds. i am running the stock carb right now with a k&n filter. I have stock headers and a LRD slip on.

I had a dynojet kit set up for an uncorked stk exhst and k&n it had a dynojet 142 and now i put in a 146 to try and get the 440 running. I haven't done anything with the idle or pilot jet. I'm running a NGK DPR9Z plug and I live in Grunthal, Manitoba, Canada. Elevation is about 1000ft and i wanna jet it for our average summer day whic is about 20'C (68'F) and not very humid

I was cranking it today and it started and i had to hold at about 1/2 throttle to keep running and it died. it did this twice now won't fire up. I have older gas in it now tomorow im gonna get fresh gas and try again. Im thinkin its just a jetting problem cuz i have spark, im 95% sure my timing is right, and its got a ton of compression

any tips you guys have would be awesome

EXinMB
02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
o ya and with this cam theres no decomp and hotcam's site says stock starter is good enough, but when i was cranking it drained the battery fairly quick, do any of you guys have problems with killing the battery or would the battery last once i get it running properly?

JOEX
02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Get the fresh gas and fully charged battery and I bet it'll start right up again.

BigBore24
02-25-2008, 06:51 PM
im not sure what the size difference is between dynojet and stock but if your saying you have a stock pilot jet then that is most definately your problem. with my 440 im at a 45 pilot and a 180 main (stock jet sizes) obviously that wont be perfect for you but it could be a starting point or at least some idea. Also move your clip on the needle to the second hole from the tapered end. i would just get a bunch of different jets and try them til you get what feels good, with the extra displacement itll need a lot more gas to run. when you get it close you can adjust the pilot screw to fine tune it

EXinMB
06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
ok shoulda posted this a while ago but i couldn get my 440 to start properly and basically i cleaned the carb a zillion times and rejetted it but it came down to CDI box. I had a white bros cdi on it and i plugged the stock one in and she fired up like a champ. running awesome ever since

ridinga400ex
06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Mine did the same thing the other day..I needed to put it on reserve cause I was low on gas...pretty noobie I know.

EXinMB
06-09-2008, 12:38 PM
ya done that to i forgot my 440 burns a lil more fuel than stock so i got so mad at it cuz its running horrible but once i realized i neeeded fuel then switch to reserve and it fires up perfect. lol and ive had this quad since 2002 lol. still a newb move

ridinga400ex
06-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Mine did the same thing the other day..I needed to put it on reserve cause I was low on gas...pretty noobie I know.