PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate thermostat

Chris525
02-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I had heard about deleting the termostat somewhere to reduce heat
they took it out, but I dont details on how they spliced the hose back together or if they ran a new one start to finish and how they plugged the lower hose
anybody done this?

just to clear its 07 525 irs

OutlawBill
02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I have done it. I used 3/4 inch radiator hose and a brass pipe plug on the lower hose just use some hightemp silicone on the plug. I used a 3 inch supper cooler to fill the gap on the top hoes a 2 inch might work better I had to cut off about a inch. http://www.predatorowners.com/memberphotos/predator/14979/fule%20valve.jpg

Chris525
02-26-2008, 03:09 PM
thats it thank you
I get what you did
but what the heck is a supper cooler and where
did you get it

never mind, googled it and came up with in line super coolers
---pretty nice
did you notice your aux. fan coming on less offen?

TRENT_G
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm also interested in knowing if this made your bike run cooler. I went out yesterday 50 degrees and the fan ran constantly. Is this normal? Thanks

Evasiveone
02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Trent have you rejeted your Outlaw yet?

My 525 fan runs about 1/2 as much as my Predator fan runs.

TRENT_G
02-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Ya, I rejetted it with a JD kit. I ride between 3000-6000 Elevation. I installed red needle 5th clip, 165 jet, thick pump band, and leak jet, air/fuel screw out about 1 1/2, FMF exhaust with air box mod and a K&N. I'm wondering if I put to much oil in at last change. You can barley see the oil when cold and a full glass when hot. How picky are these bikes?

LT250_JOE
02-28-2008, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by TRENT_G
[ I'm wondering if I put to much oil in at last change. You can barley see the oil when cold and a full glass when hot. How picky are these bikes? [/B]

Do you remember how much oil you put in. Takes just under 2 quarts. Are you sure sight glass is full and not empty when hot. If you see solid oil in glass than its way over filled. should be around 2/3-3/4.

TRENT_G
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Ya, I put in just under 2 qts. Some where around 1 3/4. I'm going to change oil today to see if it makes a difference. I'll put less than last time.:confused:

Evasiveone
02-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by TRENT_G
Ya, I rejetted it with a JD kit. I ride between 3000-6000 Elevation. I installed red needle 5th clip, 165 jet, thick pump band, and leak jet, air/fuel screw out about 1 1/2, FMF exhaust with air box mod and a K&N. I'm wondering if I put to much oil in at last change. You can barley see the oil when cold and a full glass when hot. How picky are these bikes?

Take out the 55 leak jet and put back in the stock plug leak jet. The 55 leak jet leans out the accelerator pump spray way too much when used with the o-rings. With the big O-ring and plug leak jet the AP spray is around 1.3 seconds. With the 55 leak jet and big o-ring the AP spray drops down to under .5 seconds with less volume. Not nearly enough fuel when stabbing the throttle at low rpm's.

TRENT_G
02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
This probly explains why their was so much fuel in my airfilter? (sitting between carb and filter). I'll do this with my oil change. Evasiveone would this make my bike run hot? Thanks

Evasiveone
02-28-2008, 10:39 AM
A lot will depend on your riding conditions and style. If you are going from low rpm's to high rpm's where the accelerator pump is being used a lot it could be a factor.

Are you getting a stumble when you stab the throttle from low rpm's (1800 - 2000 rpm to WOT) ? If you are and are running the 55 leak jet with the big o-ring I think it is from a lean condition (lean stumble) since the leak jet is allowing too much fuel back into the bowel, resulting in a lean condition in this scenerio.

TRENT_G
02-28-2008, 11:01 AM
The bike dosen't seem to stumble at all. So far it's all trail riding. I like the way it runs but I did notice the fan being on constantly and the fuel in the filter area. I'll take out the leak jet and see if this fixes it. Thanks